Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

I am really amazed with the SR capability of the K-7

I have not seen other camera with SR in body, most of them the SR capability is within the Lens, do you know of other cameras with in body SR ?, thanks

10-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Olympus and Sony are the two other brands that have in-Body stabilisation.
C&N& others have all gone for Lens-based systems.

In-Body SR is such a great feature, I probably wouldn't consider any future dSLR system without it....
10-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gonna have to agree with kittykat on that one.

The ability to use older lenses with the SR is nice.
10-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
I have not seen other camera with SR in body, most of them the SR capability is within the Lens, do you know of other cameras with in body SR ?, thanks
Of course you are referring to other camera brands? If you are asking about Pentax cameras, the K100D, K100DS, K10D, K200D, K20D, K2000, and Kx.

10-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

SR sure is nice. Especially considering I shoot with some fairly old M lenses!
11-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just love it!

11-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
In-Body SR is such a great feature, I probably wouldn't consider any future dSLR system without it....
I agree.
The in-body SR is part of what made me choose Pentax over Canikon.

All my friends who use other brands are constantly bickering and complaining about the cost of lenses with SR, while I'm able to buy old $20 manual lenses at junk shops and use them with the same SR that I do any of my other lenses.

I guess Canon & Nikon can't add it to their bodies now, because it would anger too many people who already bought their expensive SR lenses, but I see it as a glaring flaw with most other camera systems.

11-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
I guess Canon & Nikon can't add it to their bodies now, because it would anger too many people who already bought their expensive SR lenses, but I see it as a glaring flaw with most other camera systems.
As long as people keep buying it, why would they change?

This started as a film-based stabilization technology. Now the cost in the lens is probably negligible given that they can ever offer IS on basic kit lenses. Even Sigma offers a stabilized lens for Pentax (18-250) showing its cheaper for them to include the O.S. rather than make a non-O.S. verson for Pentax and Sony. Yet Canon and Nikon get to charge dearly for O.S. on each lens. Why would they ever change? The only possible scenario for a change is if Pentax or Sony or other eventually give Canon and Nikon some competition on pro-level gear and forces them to either stop charging extra for O.S., or include them in-body.
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always knew shake reduction was a great feature, but it became very apparent using a friends Canon 70-200 F4 without IS. We were shooting outside as the sun was dipping below the horizon. I usually don't have to pay too much attention to the 1 over focal length rule.... but it definately holds true without stabilization. With my Pentax and shake reduction, I was able to get sharper pictures from my "slower" DA 55-300mm at the long end. Can't blame him for not buying the IS version though... an extra $500 bucks!!! What a rip-off ! And thats just on 1 lense. We've got it for everything.
11-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted this a wile back, 500mm at 1/40

K7D with SMC 300 F4 and SMC-F 1.7x AF TC