Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Mmm, I want some megapickles...

10-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
Inactive Account

How does the new camera stack up to taking night images.
I do a lot of astrophotography and have been thinking about
getting a DSLR.

William
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Does the mirror flip up in LiveView?

Thanks for your images, these really look good!

One question regarding LV, did you test it?

Does the mirror flip up/down when you take an image (as it does in the K20)?
10-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote

What makes this high ISO performance so exciting to someone like me who doesn't have a huge camera budget is the way it expands the versatility of the good consumer level lenses
Exactly.

I was even able to break out my Tamron 18-200 f3.5-6.3 and get some usable, good shots of the performers at 200mm at f6.3. With my K200D, which maxes out at 1600 ISO, I would never have even thought of using that Tammy to shoot images indoors of a gig under stage lights at 10pm. With the K-x, it's doable.

10-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
One question regarding LV, did you test it?

Does the mirror flip up/down when you take an image (as it does in the K20)?
Yes, I tested it with the video. It worked OK - the face detect managed to grab onto one of the singers faces on stage for example and focus there to good effect.

The mirror did seem to do a lot of flipping up/down when using LV and switching in and out of it. I still need to play with it more to figure out what is happening when I use LV in video or for stills.
10-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillCarney Quote
How does the new camera stack up to taking night images.
I can't say. The K-x seems to have an excellent sensor though for low light work. You may however need to do more research on it's capabilities in order to make sure it can do what you need it to do.

Once the K-x manual becomes available online, I suggest you have a good read of it to see if it will work for astrophotography.
10-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, I tested it with the video. It worked OK - the face detect managed to grab onto one of the singers faces on stage for example and focus there to good effect.

The mirror did seem to do a lot of flipping up/down when using LV and switching in and out of it. I still need to play with it more to figure out what is happening when I use LV in video or for stills.
Thanks for the quick info!

Regarding my question, the mirror must always flip when you leave/exit LV, but does it also flip when you just take the image and stay in LV? In the K20 you'll have a dark image for about 2 seconds before you return to LV.

From your description I would say that this is no longer the case and its quite fast..
10-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning iso 3200, 6400 shots.

10-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks very much rawr for posting those night shots incl. the stage shots. That's what I wanted to see and they look very good. Compared to my K100D (which - confusingly - seems better than e.g. K200D or K10D in low light) it looks like a 1.5 to 2 stops improvement (if not more).

I dunno if you fellows shooting with those f/4 and up lenses really have a choice, but I'd strongly recommend getting a fast manual 50 just to see the difference. Those stage shots can be set up more or less distance-wise and AF is questionable anyway in low light. There are really good lenses at f/2 (the 1.8/55 Takumar and less so the 1.4/50). The 1.4 lenses are even better for focussing and actually seeing something through the VF - I'd say give 'em a try if you haven't yet, big fun and another 2 to 3 stops over those f/4 lenses.

Saving the bucks for the damn K-X :-)
Georg (the other)
10-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Those shots look great, at least as good if not better than what I get with my D90 at similar ISOs. In fact, ISO 6400 is almost assuredly better on the K-x.

I shoot my D90 at ISO 2000 all the time, with extremely clean results and good detail - looks like the K-x wouldn't break a sweat there.

You may want to bump saturation down a bit on the jpegs - some of the flora are about to burn a hole in my monitor , but overall that's incredible IQ from an APS-C camera. Wow.

I'm going to have to try some AF speed tests in a store here when they get the K-x in...

Last edited by jsherman999; 10-22-2009 at 09:59 AM.
10-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote

I dunno if you fellows shooting with those f/4 and up lenses really have a choice, but I'd strongly recommend getting a fast manual 50 just to see the difference.
I have an old Pentax M50/ f1.7, plus a Ricoh 50mm f1.7, and also a new FA 50 f1.4. I love them all and they work great with my K200D. Problem is of course narrow DOF wide open, and also some softness wide open (more with the 1.4, less with the 1.7's). So I end up stopping them down quite routinely to 2.8 or beyond anyhow.

My next purchase will I think be an affordable but sharp constant 2.8 zoom like the Tammy 17-50 or Tammy 28-75. I think they would be ideally mated to the K-x.

The Pentax DA* 2.8 zooms are out of my budget, alas.
10-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my goodness, I am excited. PENTAX give me my white k-x already!
10-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Those shots look great, at least as good if not better than what I get with my D90 at similar ISOs. In fact, ISO 6400 is almost assuredly better on the K-x.

I shoot my D90 at ISO 2000 all the time, with extremely clean results and good detail - looks like the K-x wouldn't break a sweat there.

You may want to bump contrast down a bit on the jpegs - some of the flora are about to burn a hole in my monitor , but overall that's incredible IQ from an APS-C camera. Wow.

I'm going to have to try some AF speed tests in a store here when they get the K-x in...
Thanks for the kind words.

In looking back over these photos, it is actually quite surprising the IQ that is jumping out of such an entry-level DSLR (and the cheapest kit lens in the current Pentax lineup too LOL). Something is working right for Pentax here.

As to the contrast in the JPG's, I'll look into it, but as you can see from the EXIF, I had all the settings zeroed out and the Custom Image set to Natural... I don't go in for too much saturation/ sharpening etc.

The JPG's are just a straight shrink and re-size from the camera via Picasa.
I could have run them through Lightroom, or Raw Therapee or Silkypix but i couldn't be bothered.
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

As to the contrast in the JPG's, I'll look into it, but as you can see from the EXIF, I had all the settings zeroed out and the Custom Image set to Natural... I don't go in for too much saturation/ sharpening etc.

The JPG's are just a straight shrink and re-size from the camera via Picasa.
I could have run them through Lightroom, or Raw Therapee or Silkypix but i couldn't be bothered.
Yeah, actually I just did a sanity check with my work monitor here and it's not very accurate, everything is set a bit too punchy. Disregard my jpeg comment, I'm sure they look better on a calibrated display.
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another important thing i meant to mention: in all the DNG's I have recorded with the K-x, none at all had the 'green cast' noted by GordonBGood in the French magazine site's Kx RAW DNG samples. (I also noticed that when I looked at those French DNG's, and they had me worried a bit).

But when rendered by Picasa, or Lightroom, or Raw Therapee on my Windows XP PC, the K-x DNG pix I took looked fine straight up. No green cast.