Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #31

that's definitely encourging, thanks rawr! I will be picking up a K-X this weekend as well, it's too bad that they don't have the white colored body available in Canada. That would look very slick :P

10-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter

dang. is it christmas yet?
must buy one. must buy... must resist... till christmas ..
10-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
dang. is it christmas yet?
must buy one. must buy... must resist... till christmas ..
I know how you feel. I've never been an early-adopter myself either.

But the price was good and the store has a really good returns policy so I felt OK about taking the plunge.

Plus I have a DA 40mm 2.8 on the way. Fit that lens to the K-x and you have a Pentax street-shooter that is very capable and practically pocketable.
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #34
Site Supporter

thanks for taking the time to post these! I'm surely interested in this camera, and will probably be getting one.

Couple questions though...

How's the white balance?

And how is the exposure metering compared to the k200?

10-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

But the price was good and the store has a really good returns policy so I felt OK about taking the plunge.

Plus I have a DA 40mm 2.8 on the way. Fit that lens to the K-x and you have a Pentax street-shooter that is very capable and practically pocketable.
This will be my first early adoption in anything, as well. Makes me almost want to get a k2000 until the K-x comes down in price sinces DSLRs these days don't depreicate all that slow, but there is so much the K-x has over it.
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I'm pretty convinced this camera could be a winner

kx + fa50 1.4 = night vision! :P

Last edited by WerTicus; 10-22-2009 at 11:33 AM.
10-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Couple questions though...

How's the white balance?

And how is the exposure metering compared to the k200?
AWB was not good for some of the stage lighting of the singers under tungsten. They must have had some weird lighting happening. I had to manually set it to tungsten to get good results (in JPG - of course in DNG it was not an issue). But for every other scene I shot, the K-x seemed to get the white balance correct. Given the variety of lighting on the night, the K-x did pretty well.

Hard to say how the exposure metering compares to the K200D. Both are pretty good. Only a few shots of this series were rejects due to exposure issues, if that means anything.

But I wasn't really trying hard to get everything to work perfectly with this set of pix. These were just my very first K-x pix.
10-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Thanks for the quick info!

Regarding my question, the mirror must always flip when you leave/exit LV, but does it also flip when you just take the image and stay in LV? In the K20 you'll have a dark image for about 2 seconds before you return to LV.

From your description I would say that this is no longer the case and its quite fast..
Great news - 2 second time out? yikes.

Also, to the OP - does the mirror still flip when in contrast detect AF mode or just fast phase detect mode?

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-22-2009 at 12:07 PM.
10-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Yeah, and that brings up a whole new thing - the DA 40, really all the DA limiteds start to make even more sense now. If you can shoot clean ISO 2000, f/2.8 becomes a nice low-light aperture.
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #40

Great stuff.

Just wondering if you have tried (or planning to try) the debug menu hack for auto focus calibration?
10-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #41
Pentaxian

AWB was not good for some of the stage lighting of the singers under tungsten. They must have had some weird lighting happening.
That's par for the course - stage lighting almsot always has a strong color cast. Sometimes, of course, they actually put colored gels on the spots, which appears to have been the case here. But even when they don't, I think the color of the average spotlight (halogen?) is rather different from that of the average tungtsen bulb. So I always expect to fix all this in PP. No point trying to do manual WB unless there is only one color light on the whole stage, which is unfortunately not often the case.

BTW, just because the the K200D maxes out at ISO 1600 doesn't mean you could not have used it here - just shoot two stops underexposed and push it in PP. That's exactly what the K-x is doing also; it's just doing it for you in firmware. Of course, the K-x appears to be an inherently less noisy sensor, plus its base ISO is 100 instead of 200, so you're not pushing it as far to get to ISO 6400. Still, I've had perfectly decent results shooting ISO 1600 two stops underexposed on the K200D (and thus yielding the same shutter speed at a given aperture as you'd get at ISO 6400). But no doubt the K-x does better yet.

For comparison, here's a shot taken exactly this way on the K200D - two stops underexposed, pushed two stops in PP:

At screen size or in smallish prints, this is unlikely to look any worse than the K-x shooting at ISO 6400, although at 100%, I'm sure the differences would be more apparent.
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Dim, multicolored lighting of stage performances is the toughest situation I've ever shot in, you always make it look easy, Marc.
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Thanks! Of course, one of my big photographic challenges is getting good shots of moving kids - so I'd say we're even!
10-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darius Quote
Great stuff.

Just wondering if you have tried (or planning to try) the debug menu hack for auto focus calibration?
No, I haven't tried it. No reason to yet.
10-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, just because the the K200D maxes out at ISO 1600 doesn't mean you could not have used it here - just shoot two stops underexposed and push it in PP.
True - much of the time I can get good results of out the K200D under similar circumstances, even worse perhaps, and I could have probably used it competently here too if I used fast glass.

Eg the shot below is a K200D 1600 ISO shot at f1.4 in a very dingy pub in Brisbane, so yeah the K200D can do the job OK:

Since I was testing out the K-x with it's kit lens though I had an exposure floor at f3.5 (more like f5.6 at 55mm).

I haven't tried PP pushing, for my K200D shots or anything. Visible image degradation seems to happen real quick doing it, so I've stuck to trying to get good exposure up front. Maybe I just need more practice with PP...

But if I can drag my K-x along now to low-light gigs, maybe I can continue to avoid having to do any such PP.