Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by h734790 Quote
Wao! Can we see a bigger version of that ISO 12800 shot? Or at least a 100% crop?
The following crops were straight out of Irfanview. I just used IrfanView to open both the in-camera produced JPG, and to open the DNG.

The crops reveal a lot of detail. Even in the JPG. I can just about make out the brand of his instrument.

In camera produced JPG:

Un-processed DNG (IrfanView has default rendered it a bit darker than the JPG):

FWIW. Your mileage may vary etc.

10-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #77

Thank you! This camera really seems to be a winner in high ISO performance.
10-25-2009, 01:50 AM   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

The crops reveal a lot of detail. Even in the JPG. I can just about make out the brand of his instrument.
fantastic!

Epiphone by the way!!
10-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #79
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Iif you generally prefer your pictures with greater saturation and contrast than the defaults
Maybe you have any info if Pentax has plans to offer something
between K-7 and K-x?
K-x with WR and some features from K-7?

10-25-2009, 04:10 AM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe you have any info if Pentax has plans to offer something
between K-7 and K-x?
K-x with WR and some features from K-7?
That would probably make the "inbetween" camera BETTER than the K-7. Why would Pentax want to do that. Wait for the K-7 replaceplacement.

Imagine if there was a K-x with weathersealing, autofocus indicators, and twin dials. Priced slap bang in the middle of K-x and K-7. Who would buy the K-7? no one.
10-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #81
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
That would probably make the "inbetween" camera BETTER than the K-7. Why would Pentax want to do that. Wait for the K-7 replaceplacement.
K200D has AF indicators, WR and 1 dial.
10-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #82
Forum Member

K200D has AF indicators, WR and 1 dial.
ok so you'd be happy for them to remove live view, video, superb high iso ability, and faster burst speed in continuous shooting?

You don't get it, there has to be SOME sacrifice.

10-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ok so you'd be happy for them to remove live view, video, superb high iso ability, and faster burst speed in continuous shooting?

No there doesn't. Look at the competition. At the same price point, what did they remove as a feature from their previous model? Please provide a list of features that were taken away from the Canon T1i and Nikon D5000 from the Xsi and D60.

This is why Pentax struggles to retain customers: it hasn't got upgrade paths nor consistency in its model line-up. The competition meanwhile, examines price points, and does incremental improvements, moving new tech down the price point ladder with each new model release. Pentax reinvents itself with every new model, disappointing many who leave the brand, effectively treading water with market share and profile.

This forum is full of disappointments about the lack of direction for the brand. It's Pentax's major business flaw. Now you have an entire thread here saying how the K-x has a better sensor than the K-7! What's a researching newbie or switcher to think? It's a brand hard to build trust with and synchronize expectations, terrific legacy and engineering aside. It plays right into Canikon hands, undermining known Pentax advantages: we've gone from inexpensive excellent glass, to expensive glass, but inexpensive, well-appoineted bodies……all in the space of 7 months.
10-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Pentax has said this is an entry level replacement for K-m. Now this still doesn't mean there WILL be a K200D replacement.
10-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Aristophanes, still laboring under the misconception that the K-x is a K200D replacement?

Please provide a list of features that were taken away from the K-x from the K-m.
10-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #86
ogl
Banned

burst speed is the same to say honest.
I'm RAW shooter.

As for LV - I don't like it all.

LV and video in camera with AA = headache with power consumption and choosing batteries. Even Energizer Lithium is much weaker in this modes.

It's the biggest mistake. Need compact and small LiOn in small camera with LV and video.

I can say only one - high ISO performance is good. But 90% of my photos at ISO100-400.
10-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LV and video in camera with AA = headache with power consumption and choosing batteries. Even Energizer Lithium is much weaker in this modes.

It's the biggest mistake. Need compact and small LiOn in small camera with LV and video.
Yes, I am not a fan of LiveView either. Handy to have, but I have only used it very infrequently. (I bet this is the same with most K-x shooters).

LV and video are certainly power consumption pigs, and suitable only for limited use while on batteries. It's simply unreasonable to expect hours and hours of LV and video out of just 4 AA cells, no matter what the technology.

But the power consumption issue of the K-x on batteries is all relative. The Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D are conventional lithium batteried 'small cameras with LV and video' and apparently only get 510 and 400 shots respectively per charge, according to this report:

Pentax K-x review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Digital SLRs

I wouldn't be surprised if even the K7's battery delivered only limited usage time while making heavy use of LV and video. But at least the K7 has a battery pack I guess to help out if you do need the extra power.
10-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Aristophanes, still laboring under the misconception that the K-x is a K200D replacement?

Please provide a list of features that were taken away from the K-x from the K-m.
Tell that to Amazon.com!

This time last year the K200D was the same price point as the K-x. Maybe you don't understand price points, and feature sets therein, but millions of consumers do.
10-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Tell that to Amazon.com!

This time last year the K200D was the same price point as the K-x. Maybe you don't understand price points, and feature sets therein, but millions of consumers do.
Amazon owns dpreview, who is the only site that incorrectly mentions the K-x as the K200D replacement. There aren't any new entry level bodies cheaper then the K-x
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #90
Veteran Member

burst speed is the same to say honest.
I'm RAW shooter.
4.7 fps in raw, just a small buffer
QuoteQuote:
I can say only one - high ISO performance is good. But 90% of my photos at ISO100-400.
I'm new to photography and I like to do everything. Among those is sports (indoor and outdoor) and candids inside, so I will definitely appreciate high iso and fps, so it seems like this camera is perfect for me.

except the white kx.. is not here..