Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #106

I forgot to include info about about the new required card reader.

Last edited by tarsus; 12-23-2009 at 06:14 AM.
10-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL. Thanks for the help. Now I can't go wrong.

But some things don't change.

At least I can still use any lenses for the KX (circa 1975) straight on the new K-x (2009). That's a big win.
10-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #108
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
True enough. And millions of them *did not buy* the K200D, apparently deciding the weather sealing was not worth the cost (in dollars or size / weight). So Pentax did the intelligent thing - removed a feature that was *not* selling them many camera at that price point, and replaced it features like LiveView, video that are pretty much must-haves in this market.
Not sure if that's true. I sell cameras for a living and i can assure you that the weather sealing was one of the K200D's best sale arguments. People loves it. This said, the Km was a big sales success, so i think the Kx will be too, even without weather sealing.
On the other hand, and from my experience, people buying a DSLR is not interested in video. Every time you try to sell a camera with the video argument, you get that same answer: "I'm not interested in video."
In fact, the EOS 450D is selling way better than the video capable EOS 500D, even when the 500D is a newer camera and cost only a mere 100€ more. The very same happens with the Nikon D5000.
10-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There was a mention in one of the earlier posts about poor audio quality on the K-X built-in mic. Is there an otion to connect to an external mic? Just thinking for recording live music.

10-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a mic port. I've heard the quality of these mini audio ports aren't the best on DSLR's anyway, though, and many record externally for better quality
10-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The competition did EXACTLY the same as Pentax, except the apart about REMOVING features. Line-by-line, model-by-model, they upgrade the price point.
Except when they introduce new models in a different class, as Nikon did when they introduced with the D40, and Canon did when they introduced the 1000D. Not sure where you're getting this idea that Pentax is the only company to ever release a camera with fewer features than a previous camera; that's really just ludicrous.

Pentax had basically moved from a three-tired product to a two, and something has to give in order to make that happen. Sorry if it happens to be one of your favorite features, but that's life.

QuoteQuote:
Cheap is leaving the lens hood off the kit lens
Oh, you mean like *virtually everyone else* has *virtually always* done?

QuoteQuote:
I think Pentax has reinvented its model line so many times it has no better clue than most of the people here.
I think anyone claiming their know more about making and selling cameras than Pentax instantly loses all credibility. You need to at least consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, they also considered these things, but with access to far more data than you, came to different conclusions.

QuoteQuote:
What does the Pentax brand stand for?
I'd say better overall value than the competitors, and that remains true despite the fact that one or two features the competitors don't offer at all in this price range has been removed.
10-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
Not sure if that's true. I sell cameras for a living and i can assure you that the weather sealing was one of the K200D's best sale arguments. People loves it.
Oh, I agree - of the few people who did buy a K200D, I'm sure weather sealing was a big reason. But they clearly didn't sell the numbers they were hoping for - not *enough* people were willing to pay the price for weather sealing.

QuoteQuote:
On the other hand, and from my experience, people buying a DSLR is not interested in video.
I suspect this will be changing, and Pentax wants to be in on that.

10-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
There was a mention in one of the earlier posts about poor audio quality on the K-X built-in mic. Is there an otion to connect to an external mic? Just thinking for recording live music.
The thing that bothers me about the mic is that it records SR noise. I think thats why SR is disabled by default for movies.
10-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

I suspect this will be changing, and Pentax wants to be in on that.
Agreed - honestly video quality is quite amazing on DSLRs with DoF control - much better than a cheap camcorder.
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #115

AF point in viewfinder

Hi

I have a question, has the K-x AF points in viewfinder? I mean this red points that I see in my K200D viewfinder.

thanks a lot
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
Hi

I have a question, has the K-x AF points in viewfinder? I mean this red points that I see in my K200D viewfinder.

thanks a lot
No.

10char
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
Hi

thanks a lot
No:

Having handled the K-x, the AF point issue is not a deal breaker: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

You can also select it without moving your eye from the VF - they just won't show up. If you forget where they are, you can program a button to reset to center AF and then move it.
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #118
Veteran Member

I think at this point, for high-ISO applications, I might choose the K-x over the
FF Sony Alpha A900, based on this output from the Sony, and other images I've seen:

ISO 1600:

ISO 3200:

Even ISO 400 isn't brilliant, look at the noise in the black paint:

Link---> A900 vs A850 Vs D700: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Granted, there's no NR there, but jeeze, that's Full Frame!

10-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #119
Veteran Member

i put some samples in this thread at DPR

one more sample. : Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

they were all shot on first day when i took cam out for simple testing.

i am so far happy with cam.
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Hmm, we have a contender for the new street cam. Kx with a 40/2.8 would be just about perfect. I don't care about AF points showing in the display, and it looks like this will spank any of the u4/3 cameras. Interesintg...