Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #16

I had heard the body only option is per the retailer... if not ill just swing for it with the DA-L kit lense, ive seen em go for 600-610 shipped with bing cash back through tigerdirect

10-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I imagine retailers will simply break apart the kits and sell the body as body-only. I seem to recall this being done with other models.

Pentax have not released a body-only version.
10-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #18

They did. At least for Europe.
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I imagine retailers will simply break apart the kits and sell the body as body-only. I seem to recall this being done with other models.

Pentax have not released a body-only version.
yup, thats what i was thinking... but cant confirm it... id rather spend the extra 50 bucks towards a quick shift lens personally

10-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p0opstlnksal0t Quote
yup, thats what i was thinking... but cant confirm it... id rather spend the extra 50 bucks towards a quick shift lens personally
I believe the DA L version lenses are not quickshift (removed to cut cost, along with no hood and a plastic rather than metal mount). Still a good buy at $50.

I didnt think of tigerdirect for the bing cashback, currently 6.5%, not too bad! Well, at this point wherever gets the white version first is probably getting my money.
10-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That's what he meant... that he'd rather buy body-only and put the $50 saved toward a quick shift-equipped lens.
10-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That's what he meant... that he'd rather buy body-only and put the $50 saved toward a quick shift-equipped lens.
Re-read, missed that! I'm from Canada and they think I'm slow, eh.

10-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #23

lol ya i do agree that its prolly a decent lens for the monies. I would rather spend the 50 bucks toward a lense with quick shift. if they end up not releasing body only in white, no big deal. I just like having a quick option to manual focus rather than having to use my other hand to flip the manual/auto switch to refocus. I think this will come in handy since the k-x doesnt have AF adjustment
10-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I was thinking the same thing RE the bestbuy pricing, and I think prodigital2000 always has an aggressive price - you lose the US warranty, but it is still honored under the 1yr intl warranty so no loss there (no, prodigital only had the black kits as well).
Well that kinda stinks - we have to ship it to Canada to get service? Also, I planned on using my credit card's extended 1yr warranty on it - not sure if it would work
10-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #25

It's exciting that the KX is attracting so much positive attention from long time Pentaxians but the real impact of the KX will come if it succeeds in attracting new camera buyers to the Pentax logo. In general, people are slow to change systems once they've bought a body and started investing in lenses.

Different colored camera bodies showed good success with both Pansonic's G-1 and Pentax's own "stormtrooper" KM. But that's only an initial hook to gain attention and likely to be quickly imitated by the other makers. It seems with the KX, Pentax has really raised the bar on entry level DSLR performance. Hopefully this will help re-establish Pentax in the DSLR marketplace heirarchy and not just an also-ran to CaNicon. This will not only ensure Pentax's long term survival but spark wider interset in it's up-scale offerings.
10-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
It's exciting that the KX is attracting so much positive attention from long time Pentaxians but the real impact of the KX will come if it succeeds in attracting new camera buyers to the Pentax logo. In general, people are slow to change systems once they've bought a body and started investing in lenses.

Different colored camera bodies showed good success with both Pansonic's G-1 and Pentax's own "stormtrooper" KM. But that's only an initial hook to gain attention and likely to be quickly imitated by the other makers. It seems with the KX, Pentax has really raised the bar on entry level DSLR performance. Hopefully this will help re-establish Pentax in the DSLR marketplace heirarchy and not just an also-ran to CaNicon. This will not only ensure Pentax's long term survival but spark wider interset in it's up-scale offerings.
I think the great thing for current owners is that is offers just about everything you could want in a backup/second body. There are enough new and unique features to make me personally want to simply add it, while keeping my K20d for the higher specs (controls, weather sealing) - rather than replace my k20d. And it is priced at a mark that it keeps it reasonable enough to keep both!
10-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think the great thing for current owners is that is offers just about everything you could want in a backup/second body. There are enough new and unique features to make me personally want to simply add it, while keeping my K20d for the higher specs (controls, weather sealing) - rather than replace my k20d. And it is priced at a mark that it keeps it reasonable enough to keep both!

Certainly a valid point, and the KX also offers enough extras to be an reasonably priced upgrade for K100d owners and owners of the earlier models.

But in both cases we're preaching to the already converted. I'd like to see what Pentax starts offering if it improves its marketshare by attracting new owners. Hopefully it would NOT follow the others into hohummedness.

Last edited by geezer52; 10-23-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: left out a key word in my remarks (in Caps)
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Anyone knows if Tiger Direct is a reliable retailer? Do they shipped internationally?
10-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Tiger Direct is pretty reputable. No clue about international shipping.
10-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #30

yes tigerdirect is top notch... not sure about international shipping...