Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Pricing question re: Kx

New here: I'd settled down to the T1i or the D5000 as my 1st Dslr and along comes this Kx. My question is if it does compare favorably to these two cameras,(which it seemingly does) will the price be more likely to go up or down in the coming weeks and months? Same question for the two competitors.

Thanks

10-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I've seen a camera's price go up in recent times. Canon/Nikon are likely to be competitive (if not just with each other) and reduce the price even more - although some good K-x deals are coming along (newegg has a free $50 sling bag).

Personally (I know what forum we are on ), I hate how the T1i and D5000 (and lower models) feel - if you ever get a chance, hold a K-x or K2000 in your hands. The grip is much bigger and fills your hand more, very helpful with larger lenses. The D5000 is a little better than the T1i in that regard, but not up to the K-x.

Then there are all the other features. D5000 has a cool flip-out LCD, T1i's lenses all have motors, K-x has in-body IS, but there many more +/-'s of each one. search here and dpreview for more comparisons. I can type all of my opinions out but it'd take a while and probably be quite biased as I really enjoy the cheaper Pentax system and all the old fun manual lenses.
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm still saving, but unless some negative reviews come out, I think my decision has been made.

Thanks again

Last edited by Gregor; 10-22-2009 at 11:24 AM.
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I don't think I've seen a camera's price go up in recent times. Canon/Nikon are likely to be competitive (if not just with each other) and reduce the price even more - although some good K-x deals are coming along (newegg has a free $50 sling bag).

Crap! I wish I had seen the newegg deal! (I already have that bag so I guess it doesn't matter). Newegg is charging only $1.99 for shipping to!

I ordered mine from Adorama, $599 free shipping.

10-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How good is the sling bag? How does it compare to kata and lowepro slings? How much can it fit? I have a nice kata shoulder bag and am completely satisfied but wouldn't mind trying it out if they ship white bodies. And I can always ebay it.. Hmm...

I am already antsy enough, which ever place ships white K-x first will probably get my money.
10-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Crap! I wish I had seen the newegg deal! (I already have that bag so I guess it doesn't matter). Newegg is charging only $1.99 for shipping to!

I ordered mine from Adorama, $599 free shipping.
dont forget 8% bing cash back if you go through adorama store on ebay brings it to 550.00 shipped... or 2% bing cash back through newegg bringin it down to 589.00 shipped
10-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
How long until DPReview likely posts a review, assuming they will?

10-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How good is the sling bag? How does it compare to kata and lowepro slings? How much can it fit? I have a nice kata shoulder bag and am completely satisfied but wouldn't mind trying it out if they ship white bodies. And I can always ebay it.. Hmm...

I am already antsy enough, which ever place ships white K-x first will probably get my money.
Great, just what I need. Another Fing bag! My wife will flip out if I get another bag, but its included! Is it the pentax sling bag (i.e. lowepro)?

Ok, back to reality - it is the Pentax sling, but I already have a sling, plus it goes the wrong way for me

Eruditass, this wait for the White version is killing me! I want to order on ebay to get the 8% back - I am practically checking it hourly. What have I become? I wish I were home last week (out of the country, couldn't get the bing cashback to work), would've ordered from prodigital2000.
10-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

On another note regarding pricing. I am becoming somewhat confused - bestbuy currently has one listing (sold out) priced at $50 less than MSRP - they have also had several other listings (including the white single lens kit for $599) which have since been removed that were also discounted $50. Prodigital2000 sold them on ebay at $50 discounts as well - I am not sure whether to wait awhile because that is a decent amount of savings. Ah well, if I can hold out for the white version, maybe prices will be alittle more concrete by then (any minute now right? RIGHT?!).
10-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Which model is the pentax sling equivalent to?

prodigital didn't have the white, did they? just black

I think bestbuy may sell them at $50 les because they have tax in every state of the US which amounts to nearly MSRP. I think prodigital was just being nice - quite nice.

I want the white ASAP, but waiting a couple days to save maybe $50.. aghh! They had their black version out right on time.
10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #11

called adorama they said it may be 2-3 weeks before they have white body only...
10-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p0opstlnksal0t Quote
called adorama they said it may be 2-3 weeks before they have white body only...
crikey.. thanks for the info. Pentax Imaging told me there would be no body-only for white, but I don't trust them all the time.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-22-2009 at 11:42 AM.
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Which model is the pentax sling equivalent to?

prodigital didn't have the white, did they? just black

I think bestbuy may sell them at $50 les because they have tax in every state of the US which amounts to nearly MSRP. I think prodigital was just being nice - quite nice.

I want the white ASAP, but waiting a couple days to save maybe $50.. aghh! They had their black version out right on time.
If you add the camera to your cart at newegg, the bag shows up discounted for free, you can then go check it out on the product page - I think it is a lowepro, not sure which one - it has a pentax logo sewn into the side as well.

I was thinking the same thing RE the bestbuy pricing, and I think prodigital2000 always has an aggressive price - you lose the US warranty, but it is still honored under the 1yr intl warranty so no loss there (no, prodigital only had the black kits as well).

Well, the 2-3 week timeframe (from now) sounds right for the Navy and Red models, but the white was supposed to be here soon after the black model. If that is the case, I will probably just buy when prodigital2000 gets their next round of stock.

I wouldn't doubt if this is an intentional withholding to sell the black version to early adopters - I will do my best to stand my ground though, haha!
10-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I believe the white he was referring to was the body-only (I would prefer this to the white kit lens since I have a DA 18-55 II). I am confident that Pentax will release the white kit by tomorrow... or at least early next week.
10-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I believe the white he was referring to was the body-only (I would prefer this to the white kit lens since I have a DA 18-55 II). I am confident that Pentax will release the white kit by tomorrow... or at least early next week.
Are they going to have a white body only? I remember reading it was supposed to be awhile before there was even a black body-only available (which gives some hope white only will also come). with the bing cashback I won't mind forking over another $50 for the kit lens - plan on slapping a hoya IR filter on it permanently.