Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you had to pick today, which camera would you get?
K7 33968.48%
K-x 15631.52%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I trade k20 over to k7 last week of August.

Would I buy k7 now ?
NO, I would wait for a firmware fix for k7 high iso/jpeg engine or for the k8 ...

(All the rest on k7 is ok. Only high iso/jpeg engine is not.)
Let's see what this new firmware upgrade brings us.

10-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
MCR

K7 with k-x sensor...
10-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
K7 with k-x sensor...
Where can you get one of those?
10-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
MCR

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Where can you get one of those?
I don't know Ash but IMO K7 with K-x sensor will be DSLR APS-C Killer....

10-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #20

K-7...I like the features it has over the K-x and mainly because I'm a videographer and would love the video capabilities it has over the K-x - mic input and 1024-1520 resolution. Weather Sealing is underrated.
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Quite amazing how much attention the K-x has gotten. And rightly so.
However, for me, the K-7 is, as you would expect, is a far better step up from the K10.
The two camera are aimed at completely different markets.
If I was spending someone else's money, it'd be the K-7...unless a bigger bodied Pentax camera comes out in the near future...
10-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

K-7....just shoot RAW, its High-ISO performance is as good as its competitors.

Just about Everything else about the K-7 is a class above the K-X.
10-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I just upgraded from a K10D to K7 last week, and the transition has been pretty seamless. Everythings is very familiar.

If you go from a K10D to k-x, the ergonomics might take a little getting used to. I'm very used to 2 e-dials, and wouldn't really want to go to a camera with only one.

10-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Just prior to the K7's delivery, I picked up a new K20, as an upgrade to a K100. I bypasses almost 2 generations. I felt that to get a K7, I would need to wait till mid 2010 until the price came down some. Yes, the better AF would be nice along with the body and viewfinder and everything else. But with the KX and the improvements it has shown, I think that the K8 (or what ever they name it), will be a very good model to upgrade to. Until then - the K20 is a wonderful camera that works real well for me.
10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my K20d for a K-7, then came across a Titan for cheap and decided to a) pick it up as a second body, and b) see if it would favor some of my lenses over the K-7. The Titan's come with 2 batteries and the grip....when you factor that in, they are priced very well....if you can still find one.

Anyways..now that I've almost rambled off topic, I have the K-7, K20d and my wife has the K-m...I think that means I'm supposed to get the K-x in Orange doesn't it?

I'd still go for the K-7 over the K-x at this point. I have no way of really comparing until I had a K-x in my hands, but if you are into older glass....the K-7 seems to do a much better job than my k20d. I'm not convinced that the K-m / K-x is a better camera / sensor combo when used with manual lenses.
10-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I also just upgraded from K10D to K7 for few days. Had thought about the K-X but my good friend (really photo expert) suggest not to get the K-x unless as a my secondary body . The K7 advantage will be 100% view finder, much faster FPS while the K-x is too plastic. Ultimately i picked up K-7 and really satisfied with its performance, even the high ISO noice level is acceptable. Did tried playing with K-x yesterday and dont think i will pick up K-x as it is really too plastic and dont like the feeling, probably after the K-10........still learning and practicing lots of features of K-7, eg. compare two shots side by side, edit white balance on the current shot....and of course the digital filters for fun....
10-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
I don't understand why ppl are making comparisons of two Pentax cameras that are COMPLETELY designed to be at different levels. That's like comparing apples to oranges, which is better?

IMO shouldn't we be comparing the K-7 to 50D, D90 and what not instead of K-X?
K-X instead should be compared to 500D (T1i), 450D and D3000, D5000
Bingo. Everybody's obsessing over one metric (and a fairly arcane one at that - the K-7's noise performance is pretty good for its resolution, just not the very top of the heap), and ignoring the fact that there are far, far more important differences between the two cameras that should make this decision in a heartbeat.

For me, K-7. No question. I want the weather sealing, I want to be able to shoot below freezing, I want the solid magnesium body, I want the more advanced controls / ergonomics, I want the better viewfinder, I want the viewfinder AF point display,I want the better LCD, I want the higher framerate, I want the better AF, I want the AF assist lamp, I want the better metering, I want the higher max shutter, I want the in-camera leveling, I want the rotational anti-shake, I want the more advanced dust reduction, I want the better connectivity (HDMI, mic jack, cable remote, PC sync are all missing), I want the higher-res movies, I want the longer-life, lighter battery, and I want the extra custom functions.

Comparing these two cameras - unless you've got far too much Pentax glass to change systems - is frankly ludicrous. Even then, you're probably better off going to a K20D than a K-x, if you want a semi-pro camera and the K-7 doesn't meet your needs. Conversely if you want a consumer camera, why even consider the K-7?

To the original poster: this decision should be made for you in a heartbeat. Stop obsessing about pixel-peeping at noise, and think about how you'll actually use the camera. And I mean that in the nicest possible way - I've been there before myself. ;-)
10-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #28

Other priorities preclude getting either one at the moment but I wonder....

If the KX is a real hit, the likelyhood is the price will stay close to MSRP, and if it's a really big hit you might even see shortages and demand drive up the price further on places like e-bay. If you think that's impossible just go to a Panasonic forum and see what happened to prices on their LX3; it was incredible.

Also, if the KX proves out to be the technical achievement it initially seems with few quirks or problems (QC type problems). Will that help lower the price on the K-7, and in the end making it the better bargain?

I think it possible, and a rare occasion, where being an early buyer of the KX could be the smartest move.
10-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #29

K-7 still much an improvement over my K200D and high ISO noise ain't much of an issue as I don't use it much and if I do it's simple to correct just change from bright to natural profile and nudge the in body sharpness all the way to far left once you go past ISO 800 and higher. It's already been mentioned the K-7 default sharpness and bright mode seems to add more noise at ISO 800 and higher. Very noticable improvement in reducing noise especially for JPEG although I shoot mainly in RAW when mode set to natural and sharpness set far left.
10-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
im getting a kx because i believe the k8 is not far away. I also prefer smaller cameras and I like having scene modes on the dial for my gf to use.

Last edited by WerTicus; 10-23-2009 at 05:59 AM.