Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you had to pick today, which camera would you get?
K7 33968.48%
K-x 15631.52%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #61
Veteran Member

K7. I own one. I also have a K10 and a K20. I am completely satisfied so far with the K7. I'm not sure I would upgrade on the next model unless it's a full frame. The viewfinder, size, and build (it feels even more robust than the K10/20) are big pluses for me since I'm a non auto focus M mode user.

I would re-read Gordon Lewis's review on the On Line Photographer, which I think explains the camera better than the other ones I've read. That said, it is a photographers review not an engineers review. I'm not saying one or the other is correct, it just depends on what you will use the camera for. If you are going to spend most of your time indoors shooting I might choose the Kx.

10-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
seriously dude, we don't all live in America. Are you that narrow minded to assume that everyone lives in the states and shops at newegg and amazon?
/rant.
I don't shop "down under" much- you're right. My deepest appologies for asking you if you were sure about that price diff considering that in my neck of the woods the prices are not that much different. Geeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.

BTW, I made no attemp to be insulting, just asked a really simple question. No need to get your knickers in a knot.
10-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
we can order from adorama and b&h from australia, but not newegg.
10-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #64
Dom

There is no real contest here it's the K-7 but given the full chose I'd still have the K20D over the K-7 any day of the week.

10-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
we can order from adorama and b&h from australia, but not newegg.
yes, we can, but some of us enjoy having a local warranty over a mack one.

It could possibly work out cheaper to by from newegg and use USA Address & Mail Forwarding - $8.50 per package to send it to Aus. they are like PriceUSA, only much better!
10-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
If you had to pick today, which camera (body only) would you pick
K7 @ $1049? or
Kx @ $599
then it would be quite a match up
Wouldn't change my choice at all. Still K-7. K-x might make a nice second body eventually, when I have all the lenses / accessories I want, but the K-7 is the main body for me.
10-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Right now the voting percentage is approximately
K7 = 71% vs Kx = 29%

Of course most would pick K7 if money was not an issue.
It would be interesting to see if the question would go:
If you had to pick today, which camera (body only) would you pick
K7 @ $1049? or
Kx @ $599
then it would be quite a match up
K-x, already made my choice. K-7.. maybe later!

However, white K-x has yet to be released.. urgh.
10-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I find it interesting that some people are saying since they have a K20D they would pick the K-x. I have to say, if I had a K20D I would DEFINITELY go with a K-x.

Here's an interesting question for those people though. Assuming you only had two cameras, would you rather have 2 K7s or 2 K-x's?

10-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #69
Veteran Member

If I had any WR lenses I'd go for the K20Ds for sure
10-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
seriously dude, we don't all live in America. Are you that narrow minded to assume that everyone lives in the states and shops at newegg and amazon?

Are you able to read my location.. just on the left there..... thats it. Can you comprehend it next.. Australia... that country in the southern hemisphere.. you know with the kangaroos and s***...

Oh don't get confused by the Africa bit.. I spend 2/3 of my time here in a year. But I don't think pentax has a dealer in any 3rd world nations, and IF they did I'm sure the price diff would be higher again.

one of the cheapest places in Aus to get pentax gear:

Pentax Digital SLR Cameras - Buy CHEAP dSLR

K-7 with kit lens $1759
K-x with kit lens $739

well fk me it's over $800. $1020 dollars. I'm definately buying a K-x.

/rant.

there is always eBay !!!
10-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I find it interesting that some people are saying since they have a K20D they would pick the K-x. I have to say, if I had a K20D I would DEFINITELY go with a K-x.

Here's an interesting question for those people though. Assuming you only had two cameras, would you rather have 2 K7s or 2 K-x's?
I'm not one of those people (first-time Pentax owner with my K-7), but if given only those two choices, I'd take two K-7s. Honestly though, were I making a two-body choice myself, I'd go with a K-7 for general use plus a K-x when I want to travel particularly light in good weather conditions, or when I want to shoot very low-light without flash.
10-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
JHaving got a K7 over to last week to supplement my K10D, I have to say 2 K7s. You're comparing a high-end prosumer to an entry level camera, and as has been said before, HI-ISO performance is just one aspect of a camera. Go without 2 edials, no way!
10-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
Even before I started having problems with my K10D I was unhappy with a lot of aspects of its performance.

Extremely loud shutter, extremely loud AF motors, Low-light AF hunting, very slow AF, back-focus issues with certain lenses, and very hit-or-miss P-TTL functioning with my flash were all constant annoyances.

From what I've heard the K7 helps with all those problems.
Seems like a good enough reasons for me to to go with the K7. The K10D is my first DSLR and I've enjoyed it for several years. I came across each of the problems you listed as a progressed with my photography education and I just hoped Pentax would address them at some point in the upgrade process. Seems they did with K7.
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #74

K-7 is a great CAMERA, but the sensor is not so great.
Kx has a good sensor, but the camera is not so great.
Maybe next year Pentax will release a new model,
K-8 with a great sensor...
10-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #75

k7 or kx

for the type of shooting that i enjoy, it would be a no-brainer - the K7 would be the obvious pick.

but it would be kool if you could exclusively use a K-X for Pentax ltd primes ONLY =P