Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you had to pick today, which camera would you get?
K7 33968.48%
K-x 15631.52%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Since my K20 is dead, I have had to use the K100d again.

I just can't get used to all the menu necessary contols on a one dial camera again. I honestly don't know how anyone can go back from a 2 dial camera to a one. Digging into the menu to change stuff is so slow and painful!

Would love to borrow a kx though to see first had this incredible hi ISO... I have yet to really see any ISO 200 shots that have blown me away or that have a 3d pop to them, but the ISO 6400 does look very usable.
On the K-m at least, you just need to hold down the Exposure Compensation (+/-) button to adjust the other setting with the dial. So when you are in Manual mode, for example,

Shutter speed is adjusted via the dial
Aperture is adjusted with the Exposure Compensation + dial

I find it very easy to work with, and other single-dial cameras (i.e., Nikon D40x) work the same way.

12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-7's superior autofocus and metering alone far outweigh the K-x's superior high ISO noise. From what I have seen, the K-7 performs quite adequately at ISO 1600, and I rarely have a need to shoot there anyhow.

I hate it when people speculate about next generation cameras (e.g. the K-8), because it makes it hard for me to pull the trigger for a camera that I can use right now.
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The K-7's superior autofocus and metering alone far outweigh the K-x's superior high ISO noise. From what I have seen, the K-7 performs quite adequately at ISO 1600, and I rarely have a need to shoot there anyhow.

I hate it when people speculate about next generation cameras (e.g. the K-8), because it makes it hard for me to pull the trigger for a camera that I can use right now.
the K-7's metering is really good honestly speaking. although some people struggle or doesn't know how or what it's function is.
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the K-7's metering is really good honestly speaking. although some people struggle or doesn't know how or what it's function is.
Since I will upgrade from a K10D, I will buy the K-7 next spring. I have no problem buying nearer the end of product life, and no problem skipping an entire product cycle. But then, the K10D is more than I can exercise, so maybe I'll just do nothing.

My only issue will be all the accessories I have for the K10D (batteries, grip, etc).

12-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #95

Well, as people sad here already, if money is not an issue, K-7 wins. In fact I bought Kx first and after playimmg with it for a couple of weeks returned it and bought K-7 and I'm very happy owner of the latest.
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Since I will upgrade from a K10D, I will buy the K-7 next spring. I have no problem buying nearer the end of product life, and no problem skipping an entire product cycle. But then, the K10D is more than I can exercise, so maybe I'll just do nothing.

My only issue will be all the accessories I have for the K10D (batteries, grip, etc).
mind you that the K20D is a darn good camera as well. if the K-7 didn't come along last May, I would had gone for it. Yes, I had paid a considerable premium for it, but it's all worth it. the features and capabilities are just simply too difficult to ignore.
12-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #97
Forum Member

K7 with AA batteries, and KX sensor

If money was no object I would get the K7 with AA batteries and a KX sensor...

Since money is an object and AA batteries are important - I will probably get a KX.
12-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #98

The main positive for me with Kx would be light weight, but I'd hate to give up K20D's ruggedness and far higher detail resolution.

Reports (fwiw) indicate K20D is still the best Pentax DSLR for people who make prints...K7 is lot more money just to get that possibly-artifact-producing metal body decoration. People who make fine prints (moi) seem to rarely shoot JPG, need K20D's detail resolution, and may not typically care about Kx ISO or other amusements. Still, red's nice.

I want the K20Sq... K20D look and feel with 20mm square format @ 20mp with two SD slots that'll use the existing APS lenses.

12-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #99

Original Poster
Why do you say that the K7 has worse detail resolution than the K20D?
12-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #100

I'm still waiting for the RED K-7. My friends have P&S so, for high ISO, my K10D still rules.
12-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #101
Veteran Member

I have a K20, so a Kx would fit the bill for a second body. A custom color one for sure. probably one of the Blue shades and Black grip. Although, the Titainium looking color with a gray grip may look cool too.
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #102

K-7 for me

I have a K100D, and after handling my friend's K-x, I decided to got with the K-7. I can stay at or below ISO 1600 almost always, so ultra high ISO wasn't important for me.

Everything (except >= ISO 3200, which I hope to never use) is simply better on the K-7. The shutter sound is soooo good, while the K-x sounds like a slightly muffled K100D, which is still loud. I shoot mostly classical concerts, so silence ks very important for me. I wonder how I managed to shoot with my K100D for 3 years!!

I still have to see how's the metering on the K-7, as I'm exclusively a M shooter, but that's after not having a reliable meter on my K100D.

Oh, and the screen is gorgeous. Not going back to 230K ever again.
12-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #103
Veteran Member

I got the k-7 in July and haven't had any regrets. When the time comes to get a second body, I'd probably choose the k-7 over the k-x for one reason only; weather sealing. If the k-x was sealed, I could have probably swung one by now.
12-24-2009, 02:47 AM   #104
wll
Veteran Member

Was Excited When K-7 was Announced, but .....

After the reviews about it's not better than K-20D high ISO reports came out, I bought another K-20D (a very good higher ISO camera).

I had no interest in a K-x when it first came out, but then I started reading and seeing the high ISO and good DR performance and got one, (I'm very impressed by this little camera, was not impressed by the battery situation, but that is a different issue that has been addressed).

The K-x, just knocks me out, If Pentax had this sensor in a semi pro model, it would be my next purchase, bar none.

I do want weather sealing, battery grips, two wheels, extra fine JPEG, and the host of other top features that a top of the line camera brings you, but most importantly is the sensor performance, and the K-x has that in spades.

wll
12-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
My K10D has gotten unreliable over the past few months, and now refuses to power on for weeks at a time. I'm going to send it in for repair, but I also want to get a new body this holiday season so I can use the K10D as my backup.

Right now I am torn right down the middle between the K7 and the K-x.
Both cameras seem to have great qualities and few drawbacks.

If you had to pick today, and if money was not an issue which camera would you get?
I'd get a K7 purely because the Kx is stripped of all functions that I have really grown to rely on when shooting. However, I wouldn't be happy either.

The K7 comes at a price for us K20D owners and which has completely ruined our experience this round. We decided to wait it out, but the ISO performance is a real shame considering its a downgrade from the K20D and the release of an entry level camera that ends-up running circles around it.

Anyways, I hope this doesn't sound like a rant(but it sort of is).
I really hope Pentax can get an upgraded prosumer model together before 2011 so we can move one in confidence.