Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you had to pick today, which camera would you get?
K7 33968.48%
K-x 15631.52%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #76

Put my money where my mouth is and bought a K-7.

Upgrading from a K-m because of the weather-proofing (I often go kayaking or get dragged out into the damp and rainy forest by my SO). Also had to do my part in helping the global economy recover… though now it is my personal economy that needs some recovery.

11-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
For me, K-7. No question. I want the weather sealing, I want to be able to shoot below freezing, I want the solid magnesium body, I want the more advanced controls / ergonomics, I want the better viewfinder, I want the viewfinder AF point display,I want the better LCD, I want the higher framerate, I want the better AF, I want the AF assist lamp, I want the better metering, I want the higher max shutter, I want the in-camera leveling, I want the rotational anti-shake, I want the more advanced dust reduction, I want the better connectivity (HDMI, mic jack, cable remote, PC sync are all missing), I want the higher-res movies, I want the longer-life, lighter battery, and I want the extra custom functions.
Nailed it, with the exception of in-camera leveling. That doesnt appeal to me a too much, though I suppose it doesnt hurt having it

K7 hands down.
11-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #78
wll
Veteran Member

For Me !

Waiting for the body of a K-7, with the Sensor of the K-x at least.
If the K-7 had the K-x's sensor, I would have sold off all my K20D's ( three of them) and my K200D's (two of them) and bought K-7's, but it is not to be.......so I will wait for the K-8 to arrive !
BTW. The K-x sensor amazes me !!!
wll
11-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #79

Photos: Gallery
as a novice, K-x has been a perfect fit so far..

I think I'm just the person Pentax is targeting for the K-x..

smart move.. I'll be buying and upgrading as my knowledge grows..

11-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought the Kx, I do want a more pro body and will jump at the k8 on day one.

however the kx is serving my needs its just a little bit of a pain to use with one dial.
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #81

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
For me, K-7. No question. I want the weather sealing, I want to be able to shoot below freezing, I want the solid magnesium body, I want the more advanced controls / ergonomics, I want the better viewfinder, I want the viewfinder AF point display,I want the better LCD, I want the higher framerate, I want the better AF, I want the AF assist lamp, I want the better metering, I want the higher max shutter, I want the in-camera leveling, I want the rotational anti-shake, I want the more advanced dust reduction, I want the better connectivity (HDMI, mic jack, cable remote, PC sync are all missing), I want the higher-res movies, I want the longer-life, lighter battery, and I want the extra custom functions.
K-7 is my first ever Pentax (and my first ever DSLR) but, except the HD video recording which is useless for me, I share the same point of view. I want all those features mentioned, so I have no doubt: K-7 with all it's little bugs and tricks.
12-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #82
Inactive Account

i wouldn´t pick one of them

why: k-7 = to little improvments in sensor quality
k-x = body

12-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
The K-x is going for about $650 with the 18-55 AL lens.
USD $550 all inclusive body + DAL 18-55 - at least that was yesterday... minus whatever M$ bing cashback/credit card cashback you can pull on top of this
12-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #84
Veteran Member

This is a "boat race" for the K-7...not even a thought of the K-x.
12-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
Hmm, I guess you're right...
It feels like longer...

Pentax K10D - Jan 2007
Pentax K20D - Feb 2008
Pentax K7 - July 2009

I guess I should just send my K10D in for repair and keep waiting.
I really like the K7, but the high ISO on the K-x is so much better that it's embarrassing.

At this rate, the new Pro-level Pentax will be released sometime around August, 2010.
I'd say more likely Oct-Nov of 2010.

NaCl(just in time for Holidaze shopping)H2O
12-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
My K10D has gotten unreliable over the past few months, and now refuses to power on for weeks at a time. I'm going to send it in for repair, but I also want to get a new body this holiday season so I can use the K10D as my backup.

Right now I am torn right down the middle between the K7 and the K-x.
Both cameras seem to have great qualities and few drawbacks.

If you had to pick today, and if money was not an issue which camera would you get?
Since I already have a K20D, I'm not terribly convinced that the K-7 is enough of an upgrade, so I'd get the K-x for the high ISO performance

NaCl(tho if someone is giving me a camera, I'd take the K-7)H2O
12-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #87
Veteran Member

I am not seeing this great improvement the K-x sensor is supposedly having over the K-7. I have looked over the Imaging-Resource images were you can compare side by side. The K-x has far less fine detail than the K-7.

When you compare the images with the mannequin sitting at the table the jacket the mannequin is wearing shows way more fabric texture detail in the K-7 images than the K-x images. The mannequins face is all smoothed over and plastic looking in the K-x image. The K-7 image again shows the texture of the face. The face actually shows more volume more 3-D look in the K-7 image as well over the K-x image.

This all equals up to better prints in the end I would think for the K-7.

About all I am seeing with the K-x is that it has a higher ISO limit than the K-7 but this could be due to the fact the base ISO for the K-x starts higher as well. The K-7 sensor also renders overall better than the K20D too. There is much less blue and purple chroma noise in the K-7 over the K20D. This to will yield better print results.

Pentax should have moved to an APS-H sensor for the K-7 which would make these types of comparisons mute between the low end and high end cameras. It would also distinguish Pentax above the competition in the semi-Pro segment.
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #88

I would have taken the K7 but then the k-x appeared and ... the K-x sensor does such a great job that I'm waiting for the next version. That should be better than both. My k20d and K10d still work fine so ... I can wait.
12-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Since I already have a K20D, I'm not terribly convinced that the K-7 is enough of an upgrade, so I'd get the K-x for the high ISO performance

NaCl(tho if someone is giving me a camera, I'd take the K-7)H2O
That's exactly what I just did - place the order for a red K-x last night.

K20d + K-x will make a nice, versatile combination.
12-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #90
Igilligan

How do you go back?

Since my K20 is dead, I have had to use the K100d again.

I just can't get used to all the menu necessary contols on a one dial camera again. I honestly don't know how anyone can go back from a 2 dial camera to a one. Digging into the menu to change stuff is so slow and painful!

Would love to borrow a kx though to see first had this incredible hi ISO... I have yet to really see any ISO 200 shots that have blown me away or that have a 3d pop to them, but the ISO 6400 does look very usable.