Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Blown away by the samples? I am not searching K-x pictures on the internet, all samples I've seen was here, or from here to an external link, probably you've seen what I've seen Marc, for instance:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/77254-new-k-x-owne...le-images.html

My eye says K-x images are soft.
Some of these are sharper than others, but come on - these are casual snapshots taken handheld with the kit lens, some of which are at extremely high ISO, others are taken of objects that are clearly in motion. These are not images with which one can judge the sharpness of a camera.

QuoteQuote:
Also my memory might fail me but as far as I remember one guy said K-x can take 100 ISO pictures also , can anyone confirm this?
I'm pretty sure that's not true - even if there were some sort of ISO 100 emulation mode, chances are it wouldn't work very well.

10-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Again, I'm as big a fan of AA's as you'll find, but nothing in that article can really be construed as a reason not to buy a camera that use Li-Ion. The fact that the cells tend to go dead after a few years is a drag, but the same is true of NiMH. The advantage of AA's is just that they'll be easier/cheaper to replace when they do lose their potency, but still, we're talking a few dollars every few years.
The difference, of course, is that, when the Li-Ion goes dead, you can't be sure you'll be able to find a replacement in the same form factor. Nor will you be sure you'll be able to find a replacement charger.

Mind you, "a few years" is an age when it comes to digital cameras - the way things go, they're obsolete (or at least, undesirable) in as little as two years! (Which makes the battery obsolescence problem moot, OR worse, depending on whether you wish to continue using the camera past its obsolescence date...)

I'm a K200D user myself, I like the weather sealing (I've had it out in torrential thunderstorms - I wish my old Ricoh XR2s were weather sealed - it quit working after a Maid of the Mist trip at Niagara Falls, the motel owner's wife's hairdryer did manage to rescue it..). I am kind of resigned to the idea that Pentax will never produce another weather-sealed entry level dSLR - the writing was on the wall when the Km came out. The Kx would be a great replacement camera if only it were weather sealed, and the K7 would be if only it were a bit cheaper (give it 12 months! It WILL be cheaper..) AND used AAs.

On another note - my K200D does have a strange quirk. A freshly charged set of Eneloops shows full charge. After a week it shows HALF charge. Once in a while when I'm out shooting, I turn the camera on, and it says almost NO charge. Then it'll turn off after 2-3 shots. Turn it off and on again, it'll show HALF charge, and will let me keep shooting. After 10-20 shots, though, the batteries will be somewhat warm, and it shows FULL charge. And then no problems until hundreds of shots later when the batteries are finally flat. The same set shows full charge on my K100D Super. It's probably a calibration problem with the camera's battery-flat-o-meter - some potentiometer inside the body needs to be tweaked. NiMH cells have a very flat discharge curve, which makes "half charge" seem to last forever. I've read of some Kx's having the same problem.

I'm wondering if the new Ni-Zn cells will solve this. They're 1.6 volts, more like the Li cells that come with the cameras. Check the specs, though - they're actually only 1500 mAH (the battery packet says 2500 mWH - all in the name of marketing.. Eneloops by the same measure would be 2400 mWH).

Iskandar
10-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Iskandar Taib Quote
The difference, of course, is that, when the Li-Ion goes dead, you can't be sure you'll be able to find a replacement in the same form factor. Nor will you be sure you'll be able to find a replacement charger.
I agree, and that's the main reason I *am* a fan of AA's. But I do try to keep this in perspective.
10-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What about Sony? While I don't like Sony as a company, I saw they have a better market share than Pentax. Everyone talks about canikon. The Sony has SR in the body, and legacy Minolta AF lenses seem kinda' cheap. They mount M42 lenses with an adapter (like Pentax). I've never used one. Are they any good?
GP

10-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
What about Sony? While I don't like Sony as a company, I saw they have a better market share than Pentax. Everyone talks about canikon. The Sony has SR in the body, and legacy Minolta AF lenses seem kinda' cheap. They mount M42 lenses with an adapter (like Pentax). I've never used one. Are they any good?
GP
My only experience with Sony was the A200 we looked at some time back when looking for a camera for the paleo lab, for dedicated macro use. Compared to the Km, the viewfinder was small and dark, which turned me off. Their higher end bodies might be better.

I was pushing for a K200D for the lab, the problem was, there were none! Absolutely none, when there were a few on the shelves maybe three months before that. This was last June. I think they ended up buying a Canon.

Iskandar
10-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Overall, I agree Sony does seem to be the strongest alternative to Pentax for someone who values sort of things that make Pentax attractive in the first place to many. Sony's first few DSLR's had reputations for very poor perceived build quality for the price, and poor viewfinders even by small pentamirror standards. I'm sure they've got models now that do better in these respects - or if not currently, will at some point. Their other main issue as a system is that their selection/pricing of new lenses is even more restrictive than Pentax's - but who knows, that may change over time, too.
10-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
GP
I just recently got to spend some time handling Sony's lineup. Quite frankly, the A230/A330/A380 are some of the worst cameras I've ever used. Terrible viewfinders and ergonomics.

However, the A850 and A900 are superb. Despite the Sony name, these cameras definitely carry the Minolta heritage. They are very comfortable to hold and handle, and the viewfinders are a joy to manual focus with. The Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4 and 135mm Sonnar 1.8 lenses are some of the finest primes available for any system, and the results when paired with the 24.6mp FF sensor are stunning. The 300mm 2.8 was also pretty excellent, and fairly lightweight for its class. The AF isn't really the fastest, but the metering is absolutely spot-on. The A700 also has the Minolta body style, and is therefore fairly nice to shoot with. I didn't, however, spend too much time with it so I can't really comment on its performance.

In my opinion, if you don't plan on picking up at least an A700 or some Zeiss optics at some point, there really isn't a compelling reason to switch systems. I didn't shoot with the A500/A550 so they may be decent, but much of Sony's lower priced optics are inferior to equivalent entries from other companies.
10-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Overall, I agree Sony does seem to be the strongest alternative to Pentax for someone who values sort of things that make Pentax attractive in the first place to many. Sony's first few DSLR's had reputations for very poor perceived build quality for the price, and poor viewfinders even by small pentamirror standards. I'm sure they've got models now that do better in these respects - or if not currently, will at some point. Their other main issue as a system is that their selection/pricing of new lenses is even more restrictive than Pentax's - but who knows, that may change over time, too.
I think Oly has a better shot:

1) They go to the customer and address their needs. They don't try and cakewalk on the brand.

2) They innovate. Micro 4/3 and compatibility with 4/3, plus EP1. They generate buzz.

3) Birders love their glass!

4) Very good quality overall.

5) Some wicked lenses.

6) Active at all price points. The major move to video is expected very soon.

They get rightfully knocked for ISO and noise. Comes with the sensor choice. I'd take Oly over Sony any day.

10-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
They get rightfully knocked for ISO and noise. Comes with the sensor choice. I'd take Oly over Sony any day.
I might too if I didn't care about high ISO performance, but I do. Way too much for Olympus to make the list of options.
10-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #55
Inactive Account

I might too if I didn't care about high ISO performance, but I do. Way too much for Olympus to make the list of options.
I'd read somewhere that Olympus lenses are limited to f2.0 due to some design flaw with the lens mount. Don't know if it's true or not, I haven't spent the time checking.

Iskandar
10-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

1) They go to the customer and address their needs. They don't try and cakewalk on the brand.

5) Some wicked lenses.

6) Active at all price points. The major move to video is expected very soon.

Great news, get ASAP either Sony and Oly, or both, along with some of their wicked lenses and start expressing your appreciation on their list how great is your cameras, then come back here and tell us how much you spent those, with some good picture samples for we can compare ok?

rather than a photographer you sound like market analyst - bean counter you never tell us any opinion of real photograph taken by you, you just talk about how the camera brands would sell, how it acts on the market, expensive/inexpensive bodies, gaps between models.

Wondering why is all this your concern? Just pick a camera and took some pictures, and share with us, will ya?
10-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #57
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will shoot with my K200D with battery-grip tiil it die.
If K-x will be cheaper, buy it as second camera.