Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #16

I'm also looking at one of these for a K7. My previous experience is with fully manual focus on a Spotmatic where there is no split screen, just microprisms.

I didn't like any splits I've used because of the black-out and in any case they always seemed too intrusive and too coarse on their own to be much more effective than just using the matte screen to get in the ball-park. I've found microprisms give much finer control and accuracy. Isn't this the whole point?

I suspect I'm in the minority with my lack of appreciation with split-screen focussing but I'm looking for a focus screen with microprisms only. Anyone here found and used one?

Phil

10-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
Be aware that it can affect spot metering. I don't remember the specifics, as I don't often use spot. I have accidentally on my M 1.4, and get gross overexposure. Wide open, I don't think it's a problem, but stopped down, it increasingly errs. Maybe someone else can enlighten?
The spot meter only looks at the centre 2.5% of the screen. The split image prism covers more than 2.5% of the screen, so the spot meter can only see the split image. If half the image is blacked out, the meter will not give a correct exposure reading of the subject.

When the centre portion of the image is darker than it really is, all metering modes are affected to a certain degree. I am absolutely certain that matrix metering will try to meter for a backlit subject becaue the centre circle is blacked out 50%. Center weighted metering will be thrown off somewhat depending on how much of the screen area is blacked out.
10-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just re-read through this thread, which has some really good information:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/73353-some-pent...g-screens.html

And I have now ordered a K3 screen from focusingscreen.com. Will update when it arrives etc.

Last edited by goddo31; 11-02-2009 at 09:40 PM.
11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Received my screen yesterday and I installed it last night.
The only bit that I found a bit tricky was unclipping the metal bracket that holds the focusing screen in place.

Once I had gently fiddled with some tweezers (supplied by focusingscreens.com with the order) for a while I got the clip unhooked and it was easy from then on.

I managed to avoid scratching either screen, although got a small fragment of hair on the inside of the K3 screen... Not a big deal and I had some dust on my stock screen anyway.

I used one of the thin plastic shims supplied with the kit. Focusing is spot on as far as I can tell...

Haven't used the screen much yet but I would recommend it, I'm happy

Thanks for all the help given earlier in this thread.

cheers,