Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I waited many years for Pentax to produce a digital SLR so I could use my collection of M and M* lenses circa 1980. I bought the istD in late 2004 and I have not been disappointed. Even though it is "only" 6 Mp it will yield very good 8x10 and 11x17 prints. Yes, the exposure must be correct. Also, the printed must be capable of at least 600x600. Since I switched to linux I have found a driver that will run my HP DeskJet at 1200x1200.

FWIW, I started digital with an Olympus 3040Z with 3.3 Mp. It also gave very good 8x10 prints.

I recently purchased a K20. For some reason the istD is easier to meter in manual mode. Not a big deal. I usually use a Minolta incidence meter to check the exposure when using the manual lenses. The Minolta has proved to be infallable.

If you purchase the istD you also can purchase a wide variety of excellent manual lenses at very attractive prices.

After all is said and done photography is an experience of continual learning, including tremendous disappointment and great reward. Try the D and embark on a great adventure.

10-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
If you wanted to laugh at me, its fine, I am really just giving an objective comment base on my experience. I hope nobody is offended by my comments tho.
That's the furthest thing from my mind. Conversely, I hope you weren't offended by my flippant remark. If so, I apologize. I, too, have a problem with failing eyesight. Consequently, not wanting to give up my manual focusing lenses just yet, I recently installed Katz-Eye focusing screens on both of my DSLRs. Best investment I've made in quite a while. Personally, I can't deal with composing and/or focusing with LCD screens, especially in sunlight.... to each his own, I suppose. I would, however, respectfully suggest that you try out a Katz-Eye if you can manage it.

Last edited by raymeedc; 10-25-2009 at 08:39 PM.
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
For MF lenses, getting a Katz Eye focusing screen may be the way to go - still beats liveview IMO.
ash,
I do have a question. Lets forget about the older DSLR models, i am quite fastinated about the K-x. And when i talk to a pentax rep, it seems like the focusing screen on K-x is fixed, and hence its not changable. I dont know if he's bs-ing, whats your opinion?
(K-7 is obviously changable, as we all know!)
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K-x to know about interchangeable focusing screens (others could chime in about that), but since it doesn't have focus point selection (AFAIK) I'm not sure of it would be of any value in the K-x.

10-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't have a K-x to know about interchangeable focusing screens (others could chime in about that), but since it doesn't have focus point selection (AFAIK) I'm not sure of it would be of any value in the K-x.
Whether the KX does or doesn't have AFAIK, why would that negate the advantage of being able to manually focus with a supplementary screen such as Katz-Eye?
10-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #21

I am a bit puzzled here. doesnt focus point selection only works with AF lenses? Someone give me a lecture on that please =(
10-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Whether the KX does or doesn't have AFAIK, why would that negate the advantage of being able to manually focus with a supplementary screen such as Katz-Eye?
I stand corrected - it would be useful in MF mode with central focus point and focus confirmation. Even without this, the Katz Eye should be able to give you reasonable accuracy in focusing correctly (I don't have one to know if it works well on dSLRs).

10-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #23

Original Poster
What is a very good lens to get with the istD? Is the 10x13 the biggest we can print or can we go any bigger? If was can print any larger how large can we print and still keep it clear? You all have been a great help thus far.
10-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Easy answer to a not easy question

QuoteOriginally posted by modforce Quote
What is a very good lens to get with the istD?
The sharper the better. The D has a strong AA filter and can benefit best from high resolution lenses.. Macro's come to mind....

Is the 10x13 the biggest we can print or can we go any bigger?
you can go as big as the image allows...
anyways this thread gives you a general idea of what is possible.
How large can an 8MP DSLR realistically print? - Photo.net Digital Cameras Forum
10.1x6.74 is the native size @300dpi..
20.25x13.48 @150dpi natively (no resampling).

If was can print any larger how large can we print and still keep it clear? You all have been a great help thus far.
well that will depend on the lens/exposure ect.. A sharpening regimen that is targeted to printing (more aggressive then on-screen sharpening) will help.
Out of Gamut: Thoughts on a Sharpening Workflow | CreativePro.com
And looking at your orig post don't be surprised if your images look "soft" w/ the lens you are getting. It most likely will but it's more the lens then the camera.. remember the strong AA filter mentioned above.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-26-2009 at 06:34 PM.
10-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #25

Original Poster
Would a K2000 give me clear images rather than the *istD? I mean if both we using the same lens. I have found a K2000 for $399 with lens and brand new. Also is the Adobe Software Photoshop Lightroom any good? I would be getting that with the *istD as well.

Last edited by modforce; 10-27-2009 at 10:24 AM.
10-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
modforce, choosing between the *istD and the K2000 is a tough one. I happen to have both right now (bought the K2000 for my mom but I haven't given it to her yet). I like having the dual control wheels and the top lcd of the *istD plus the bright pentaprism viewfinder. The K2000 is a much newer design with Shake Reduction, dust reduction, faster processing, higher resolution and lower weight. But I am used to the dual control wheels, the nicer viewfinder (I do a lot of manual focus) and top lcd for checking settings. Shot an airshow last weekend - the *istD did great except for its very slow speed writing to the data card. Since you don't have that bias - the K2000 is probably the way to go for you. Can't speak for Lightroom - I only use open source software like GIMP and Ubuntu. Let us know what you choose.
10-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$400 for a new K2000 with lens is a good deal. A *ist D may be found for less, so weigh up your preferences as Zarkon has mentioned.

Lightroom is a decent program many photographers use - certainly has all the important features in a reasonably easy to use interface - but the free packages are just as capable, if you can put up with their own nuances.
10-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #28

Original Poster
Well if both camera's *istD & k2000 took the same shot could you actually tell the difference in what camera took what shot? I understand that the software really don't mean alot since we are able to get free software that will do the same thing. So removing the software we have a difference of $100 plus tax on the new one. Are the lens that different? The *istD lens has a SMC DFA 18-35mm lens and the K2000 has a SMC PENTAX DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens. Are the lens that much different between the two? That all for the advice. I have to make my decision very soon.
10-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had an ist DL and I gave it to my daughter because I got too many fuzzy pictures from camera shake. Her younger hands do a better job of holding the camera steady. I replaced it with a K100D Super. Pentax Shake Reduction works well. The k2000 will have SR - the ist D won't. I would get the K2000. Or better still get a K200D. I got a K200D with lens on ebay for $425, ~3200 shutter count. Still close to your price range.
GP
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if both camera's *istD & k2000 took the same shot could you actually tell the difference in what camera took what shot? I understand that the software really don't mean alot since we are able to get free software that will do the same thing. So removing the software we have a difference of $100 plus tax on the new one. Are the lens that different? The *istD lens has a SMC DFA 18-35mm lens and the K2000 has a SMC PENTAX DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens. Are the lens that much different between the two? That all for the advice. I have to make my decision very soon.
Don't let those lenses sway you - they're both 'kit' lenses and aren't really much to write home about. It's the camera you're basically deciding on.

Decide on the important features: SR, AF speed, LCD display above and behind camera, e-dials, dust reduction etc. Then you have a better idea of the camera that would best suit you.