Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by modforce Quote
Would a K2000 give me clear images rather than the *istD? I mean if both we using the same lens. I have found a K2000 for $399 with lens and brand new. Also is the Adobe Software Photoshop Lightroom any good? I would be getting that with the *istD as well.
Lightroom is a great package to work with large numbers of files, keep them organized and do all the basic post-processing (colour, contrast and brightness corrections, some lens corrections and basic aditing like graduations, removal of dust spots etc. Also sharpening, noise removal and some other options have been advanced to a very useful state and the next release (LR V.3) looks even better.

You can give it a try for free, as Adobe just released the V.3 Beta to the poublic, which will be useable until the end of next April, which gives you plenty of time to explore. In the past I needed to work with Photoshop (not Photoshop Lightroom, but the big package) for almost any single image, which is very time consuming. Today, I can work with Lightroom in 80% of all images and keep the time consuming "Photoshopping" to the few select images, that require things like masks and multiple layers.

Nevertheless you shouldn't underestimate the usefulness of the Pentax software, which you get for free with your camera.

Ben

10-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #32
Site Supporter

I started with the *istD (demo unit from Adorama - $299), then I found another one for $230, bought it to! I wanted to get into IR, so I bought an IR only istD, now I have three!

I love this camera and cannot bring myself to get rid of any of them. I use one for real-estate photography. One is for exclusive use of my manual lenses, it is equipped with a katz eye focusing screen. The other, of course is for IR only.

I have seen them in decent condition go on eBay for as little as $130. I bet you could find one for less than $200. If not, you might as well get a K2000. Prices are dropping.

The only drawback I have experienced with the *istD is hot pixels, this is a problem with the Sony 6.1mp sensor and you will find this problem with any Camera equipped with that same sensor (ex: Nikon D70). I simply shoot everything in RAW and lightroom clears the hot pixels before I ever see them.
10-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #33

Original Poster
Now that you have found them at that price I am really searching. How good is the ist ds? Does it seems to compare to the ist d really well? Isn't the ds the little brother?
10-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Now that you have found them at that price I am really searching. How good is the ist ds? Does it seems to compare to the ist d really well? Isn't the ds the little brother?
The istD was a "pro" camera, all other *ist series digital SLR's were "consumer" type cameras with the "pro" status going to the K10d.

The D uses CF memory, Ds uses SD
D has a front control wheel, Ds does not.
D onboard flash can be a wireless controller, Ds does not have this feature.
D has a smaller LCD than the Ds.

I'd get the D just for the wireless flash function. I cant live without that.

Here is some comparison information....
Pentax *ist-Series Digital Bodies

10-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #35

Original Poster
What is the big difference in the memory side of things? Sorry I am a newb. I was using the memory card from my Sony in my last digital camera.
10-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #36
Site Supporter

What is the big difference in the memory side of things? Sorry I am a newb. I was using the memory card from my Sony in my last digital camera.
Well, that reminds me of one other things about the *istD cameras, SLOW to write to memory.

You can do a search on SD and CF to see the difference in the two. Nearly alll newer cameras will use the SD cards. All newer Pentax cameras do, some other brands actually utilize both (two slots).

I wouldnt worry too much about that, memory cards are getting cheaper by the day.
10-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #37
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Data dump to card is most certainly slow (1.5-2Mb/sec) just like the K100D/K110D, but unlike the K100D, the *ist D has a 5 RAW image buffer, which is quite decent if you're not one for shooting more than 5 frames at a time...