Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #1

Researching and found *istD and more..

I am looking to get into an *istD and found one online that has 2600 shutters on it right now. He has stopped using it as he purchased another one. I can get the camera, SMC DFA 18-35mm lens, UV lens, memory card and adobe software for $300. I think this is a good buy as I am just trying to get started in the dslr camera world. I have looked at the Canon Xti with lens is $400 and it;s almost new, Sony A230, Olympus E420, and another Canon Rebel XS. I feel that the *istD even though it is only 6.1 mp it seems to have a better user rating on it and feels well also. So my question is am I begining my journey down the right path at a good price? And yes I am a newb. where as my wife has taken a class already to give her an added step on things.

Last edited by modforce; 10-26-2009 at 09:13 AM.
10-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #2

I just want to make a comment. If you are starter. it may be a problem for you to use the viewfinder as your only soruce to take picture. LCD does not work as viewfinder like your typical PS camera.

When i first get started i got so tired using it. (i have retina problem)
In your list only canon XS and oly has it.
Please take this into consideration.
10-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome to THE Pentax forum :-)

In quick search at ebay, etc surprised me and I guess that is a pretty good deal on an istD.
I'm not very familiar with it, but many here say it is/was a great camera. That's def a low shutter count for an older model. There is no DFA 18-35 lens, if it's 18-35 then looks like it's a DFJ series. Check the Reviews sections of the forums for more info on lenses and cameras. And maybe some istD owners will speak up too.
As far as it being a good starter DSLR, I've played with a grip of DSLRs and owned Fuji and Canon previously and I much prefer Pentax. They're all a pretty steep learning curve at first, but the Pentax way makes the most sense to me. And being able to use almost 50 years worth of lenses is the icing on the cake for me.

gl
10-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that it was a good deal on it as I was wanting to go with Pentax.

10-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
How large can we blow up the picture that she takes? It will do 8x10's clear right? What about 10 x 13, will it have enough clarity on that size?
10-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by modforce Quote
How large can we blow up the picture that she takes? It will do 8x10's clear right? What about 10 x 13, will it have enough clarity on that size?
This is possible with a 6MP camera, as long as you got the shot right (expsoure, focus etc.) We should also remember, that the viewing distance gets larger with print size, which to a degree releives us of the necessity of very high resolution prints.

I only had the istDS, which was also a 6MP camera and could print well up to DIN A4 size, which is about 10x13 inches.

Ben
10-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
There is no DFA 18-35 lens, if it's 18-35 then looks like it's a DFJ series.
The first series of the istD came with the PENTAX-FA J 1:4-5.6 18-35mm -AL-, as Pentax was late with the 18-55 kit lens. That only was released at a later date and I not sure, if it was ever available with the istD or only with the istDS/DL... The FAJ is a full-format lens, but I think the later kit lens was the better option for a DSLR

Ben

10-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
The *ist D is a great way to enter the world of photography. WHen it was first released it was a very expensive investment - now you can get it for a fraction of the price of a new entry level camera!

Indeed it doesn't have live view, which means you will need to look through the viewfinder to frame your images, but that is the whole essence of SLR photography. Users such as Ambivalence would do better getting a bridge/hybrid camera rather than a dSLR.

I had the *ist D for some time, using it as my second body at things like weddings and on trips where I didn't need to lug around my K20D. Mate, it did an awesome job - there's something about that sensor that was special. 6Mp was more than enough to make A4 prints and the quality is best when paired with a sharper lens.

My suggestion would be that if you wanted the *ist D, at a later stage get yourself a Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 lens, as it will open up creative opportunities that other consumer-grade lenses just cannot do. The FA 50/1.4 is relatively cheap for a lens that is sharp, reasonably well built and fast (has a very large wide-open aperture - you'll understand this is a very advantageous property of a lens when you learn about aperture).

All the best.
10-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
I just want to make a comment. If you are starter. it may be a problem for you to use the viewfinder as your only soruce to take picture. LCD does not work as viewfinder like your typical PS camera.

When i first get started i got so tired using it. (i have retina problem)
In your list only canon XS and oly has it.
Please take this into consideration.
You're kidding, right?
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have several 16x20's taken with my ist-D. If you stand on top of the picture its not perfect, but then again, who stands right next to a photo that big? I have them on my wall in my office.....always gets the conversation started when people come to see me......

Go for it! I started my pentax affair with the D, and still have it, and use it. Its a great camera.

mark

Last edited by forensicscientist; 10-26-2009 at 04:01 AM.
10-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by modforce Quote
I am looking to get into an *istD and found one online that has 2600 shutters on it right now. He has stopped using it as he purchased another one. I can get the camera, SMC DFA 18-35mm lens, UV lens, memory card and adobe software for $300. I think this is a good buy as I am just trying to get started in the dslr camera world. I have looked at the Canon Xti, Sony A230, Olympus E420, and another Canon Rebel XS. I feel that the *istD even though it is only 6.1 mp it seems to have a better user rating on it and feels well also. So my question is am I begining my journey down the right path at a good price? And yes I am a newb. where as my wife has taken a class already to give her an added step on things.
I think you get a good price on *istD, but it is not best bang for the money. Right now if you can get a K2000 or K200D for that price, then its a great deal.
10-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #12

One nice thing about the 6MP Pentaxes is that they work very well with the Hoya R72 infrared filters. I can shoot at about 1/4-1/2 second at f8 in bright sunlight with my K100D Super. A K10D or any of the newer cameras would require far longer exposures - another 4 stops for a K10D. Some other cameras require even longer - I've heard the Sony A200 needs 20-40 seconds under the same conditions.

So if you own a 6MP Pentax, hold on to it, just for this.

Iskandar
10-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a very nice camera. Great for learning. It has two dials and the pentaprism viewfinder... essentially these are features of the more serious end of the camera market. km or k2000 does not have either of these features. This will give you a nice bright viewfinder and the two dials + other manual controls on teh istD will make teh camera a joy to use... once you figure out what you are doing

mike
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
You're kidding, right?
Actually I am not kidding. Perhaps its just becasue I have bad eyes, I really cant tell perfectly when my object is in/out of focus that well on my istDL. Sometimes when I stare too long, my peripheral vision will blur up. It's quite a nuisance.

I had 2 film SLR, I believe focusing screen is the best thing ever invented for MF camera. When I found my way through digital, I have a lot of problem using MF lens with bare eyes. I've always wanted to have focusing screen install, so every shot will be clear again. Never managed to, however, the fun of liveview didnt didnt happen until i get a canon XS. Seeing my focus in 10X mode reduce my regret of taking a bad pic. I mean, it does better than using O-ME53!

Yes, I've figure out that I'd lose some comosition ability using liveview, but the fact is, its cheaper than getting a focusing screen, and if the feature is included, why not?

I guess since OP is getting an AF lens alongside with the camera, he will not encounter the same problem.

If you wanted to laugh at me, its fine, I am really just giving an objective comment base on my experience. I hope nobody is offended by my comments tho.
Attached Images

10-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For MF lenses, getting a Katz Eye focusing screen may be the way to go - still beats liveview IMO.