Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
My K10D just started having an issue. When I turn it on it reads "card locked" when the card is clearly not locked. I've tried several different cards and it's the same thing. I put the same card in the K-7 and it's fine so I know it's not the card. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas or solutions?
Did you find a solution to this problem, or did you send it in for repair?
My Camera (K10D) has just started to have the same problem

02-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

As far as i remember that problem is caused by a disconection between the memory card reader circuit and the "motherboard" of the camera, i have a K10D with the same problem after a not so hard drop. In dpreview forums i had founded very interesting information about this problem.

Someone with the same problem said that the repair was very expensive because they had to change all the circuit board.
But who knows maybe is just dirt in the pins.

Good luck and let us know any news.
02-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Not what i wanted to hear
But i will send it in, and then i will let you know how it goes.

It's a little sad as i bought the K10D, because my K100D went down on me on a trip to Nicaragua in November. But now i think i can send both of them in, and hope for the best.....
06-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #19

Updates?

Does anyone have any updates on this problem - especially the cost for the repair. My k10d just had the same problem, and I'd like to know what it's going to cost me.

Are there any resolutions?

06-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by debasercl Quote
As far as i remember that problem is caused by a disconection between the memory card reader circuit and the "motherboard" of the camera, i have a K10D with the same problem after a not so hard drop. In dpreview forums i had founded very interesting information about this problem.

Someone with the same problem said that the repair was very expensive because they had to change all the circuit board.
But who knows maybe is just dirt in the pins.

Good luck and let us know any news.
Yes, I have studied this weakness in the K10D and probably K20D. Its was found by a DPR memeber called "PeterZheng" search his posts and he shows pics. The simplest I can explain it is to link to it

Ask for Pentax DSLR internal craft improvement (I) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

To the OP did your camera experience any knock/drop/impact of any magnitude? If so this is probably your problem if not then your problem is a bad SD card reader which should be fairly cheap to replace. Its a unit bolted to the battery compartment. The main PCB pushes on to it with the little connector you see in the pics above. The is what causes problems for some. An impact can flex the battery compartment separate from the main PCB that is attached to the metal frame in a different area, a non-flex related area. Not a good idea on Pentax part. Latter models such as the K200, K-x, K-7 were improved. I can't say for sure if it was on the K20D, but it is built a bit different in that area.
Closed Thread