Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D card locked

My K10D just started having an issue. When I turn it on it reads "card locked" when the card is clearly not locked. I've tried several different cards and it's the same thing. I put the same card in the K-7 and it's fine so I know it's not the card. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas or solutions?

10-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried removed the battery, let it out for about 10sec then reintalled ? That may reset all the glitches to cause the problem . Hope it fix for you .
10-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did remove the batteries (in both body and grip) and it did nothing. I'll leave them out overnight and see if that helps.
10-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mel,
I dont know the K10, but I imagine this feature is in the menu somewhere..."reset"....its in all the others.

I used that once or twice on the DS when it got confused.

PS: I was once told by a "expert" that when you do something like remove the batteries...push as many buttons as possible, as sometimes a small charge can be retained, causing the problem....I have absolutely no idea if it works.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 10-24-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: see PS
10-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
The lock switch on sd cards is not a switch at all. A piece of tape over the lock switch would do the same, theres a pin in the sd card slot that just senses what positions the switch is in. The camera/device has a switch that can tell what position the lock on the card is in. Meaning if the device that the sd card is in does not have this sensing switch, it will write to the card regardless of the position of the switch on the sd card.

look inside the sd card slot on the camera and see if theres any damage. (Side that aligns with the lock on the card)
10-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try deleting and then Format the card might help you out

cheers
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #7

Electronics-Lab.com Blog Blog Archive How the SD-Card “lock switch” works

Read the above for more info on how the sd card lock works.. Check the sd card slot on the camera.

Another link for those who do not understand how the lock switch works.

http://www.myfixtips.com/blog/digital-camera/how-to-fix-a-%E2%80%98card-lock...roblem-125.htm

Check the last two pictures in the above link, it does not reference any pentax camera specifically but the function of the lock switch on the card slot is the same.

The pin on the slot is probably making contact closing the switch that the camera uses to sense the position, you may be able to bend it out slightly so its not making contact.

Last edited by -Joe-; 10-25-2009 at 11:45 PM.
10-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not the card. I can put the card in the K10d and it says card locked. I put the same card (SAME card) in the K-7 and it's fine. I've tried 8 different cards. And usually there's no problem popping cards back and forth between cameras.

I'll look into the card slot thing Joe. Thanks for that information.
10-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #9

I agree the issue it not with the card. And removing the batteries and reseting stuff is not a fix for a hard issue such as in a stuck switch.
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everything in there looks proper. The card slot had a phase recently where it didn't want to release the card. I'm guessing that is what lead up to this and somehow that piece got pushed in and isn't connecting. I don't have anything small enough to go in there and pry that copper (or whatever) piece out a bit to see if it works. Yeah I know I risk ruining the camera but it's not like it's usable now anyway. I'm hesitant to send it in for repairs based on the value of k10ds on the market right now. The repair could easily exceed that.

Unfortunately I've become rather dependant on having two cameras handy.
10-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Everything in there looks proper. The card slot had a phase recently where it didn't want to release the card. I'm guessing that is what lead up to this and somehow that piece got pushed in and isn't connecting. I don't have anything small enough to go in there and pry that copper (or whatever) piece out a bit to see if it works. Yeah I know I risk ruining the camera but it's not like it's usable now anyway. I'm hesitant to send it in for repairs based on the value of k10ds on the market right now. The repair could easily exceed that.

Actually the switch should be open to show unlocked, closed to show locked.

So if its pushed in it is making contact and is closing the circuit and the camera thinks its locked.

I would remove the batteries, and take a solid not stranded piece of small gauge wire with a small hook bent at the end and see if you can pull the small contact out some.

____________|

Sort of like that but small enough to fit in there and just enough to grab the contact.

Remove the batteries to avoid any shorts.

Hopefully the contact wasnt damaged and bent so it wont straighten back out to work.
10-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -Joe- Quote
Actually the switch should be open to show unlocked, closed to show locked.

So if its pushed in it is making contact and is closing the circuit and the camera thinks its locked.

I would remove the batteries, and take a solid not stranded piece of small gauge wire with a small hook bent at the end and see if you can pull the small contact out some.

____________|

Sort of like that but small enough to fit in there and just enough to grab the contact.

Remove the batteries to avoid any shorts.

Hopefully the contact wasnt damaged and bent so it wont straighten back out to work.
What about those small precision screwdrivers? They are relatively inexpensive at your local hardware store or maybe even Wally Mart. If they won't work, it would be a worthwhile investment as I have use on a variety of repairs (photography and non photography). They are great for repairing my flash shoes on my Vivitars.
10-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I managed to rig something out of a small but sturdy piece of wire and pull that bit out a little and no luck. It's still reading as locked. So I guess I'll send it in to Pentax repairs and see what they say. If I choose not to repair then it's only $12 and shipping out of my pocket to find out it's too expensive to bother with.

It's frustrating. I really love this camera and I'm not ready to part with it yet.
10-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I managed to rig something out of a small but sturdy piece of wire and pull that bit out a little and no luck. It's still reading as locked. So I guess I'll send it in to Pentax repairs and see what they say. If I choose not to repair then it's only $12 and shipping out of my pocket to find out it's too expensive to bother with.

It's frustrating. I really love this camera and I'm not ready to part with it yet.
I hope it will be a cheap repair Mel. But they are probably going to give the camera a tuneup as well including cleaning the sensor and checking to see if everything is in working order. If you can affrord it, you will get your camera back as new.
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #15

Was worth a try.

Last edited by -Joe-; 10-27-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Closed Thread