Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get extra Li-ions batteries or get new K-7 Battery Grip to use with Eneloops?

I have ordered the K-7 and it is on its way.

I think I would need more than 1 batteries so is it better to get extra Li-ion batteries or to get a battery grip so that i can reuse my eneloops AAs? Feedback appreciated.

Last edited by raider; 10-24-2009 at 06:25 PM.
10-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought about the grip but then I got a cheap extra (Chinese) battery and cycle that with the OEM battery and now I always have a spare battery at hand. Not only was this a cheaper option but the camera retains its compact size.
10-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It probably depends on what lenses you shoot with. Longer lenses would be better balanced with a grip, while the DA limiteds don't necessarily need it. It certainly would be a lot cheaper to get an extra battery and keep it charged. Shooting with double AAs in the grip would tend to add a lot of weight to the camera -- I think it is mainly there for a back up in case your other batteries give out and you need a rescue.
10-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The largest lens I have is the Tamron 70-200/f2.8. The others are relatively "light" such as the T28-75/f2.8, DA14 and the upcoming DA12-24. Do you guys think the battery grip is useful for my lens combination?

10-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
GSk
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
The largest lens I have is the Tamron 70-200/f2.8. The others are relatively "light" such as the T28-75/f2.8, DA14 and the upcoming DA12-24. Do you guys think the battery grip is useful for my lens combination?

Personally I think that the battery grip is useful with any lens, it makes it much easier to shoot vertically. For my personal likings, the K-7 is also too small for my hands, so the grip makes it much better. With AA batteries in the grip it becomes heavy, so for some events when you know you will not need the grip or extra battery, take it off and leave it at home.

I use AA's in the grip (rechargable NiMH) and they last longer than I expected. I mostly do landscapes, not firing at high burst rates. If that is the case, the AA's will not be able to give enough power.
10-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I have decided I will go get the battery grip.