Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
multiple exposure question

was trying multiple exposure yesterday. i couldn't find a setting where one shuter click could do all exposures. bracketing does have this option wherein you could have all exposures at one click or every click does one exposure. or is there a setting i'm missing. i did go through the settings and couldn't find any.

10-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the K10D you have to fire each exposure separately. I think the concept is to allow you to delete unwanted shots until you reach the maximum number you set. I believe the K20D is the same.
10-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
hmm.. so its better to do multiple exposures using remote, rather than pressing the shutter button which could induce alignment inaccuracy. i thought it could be cool to have multiple exposures with bracketing (easy HDR), the manual says cannot have multiple exposures with bracketing or maybe i've not understood multiple exposures
10-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No you cannot bracket. What multiple exposure does is take the number of shots you have said you will take (2-9) and adjusts the iso for that number of shots. For example, if you are going to shoot at iso 100 and have set the multiple exposure for 9 shots, your iso for each shot is going to be slightly more than 11 iso. The beauty of this is it greatly reduces noise and I suspect it also widens dynamic range. A tripod is a necessity. I have done them with both a remote and by pushing the shutter release. In both cases I set the camera for a 3 second delay to allow the mirror slap vibrations to attenuate. Another cool effect of using multiple exposures is it gives you silky water if photographing waterfalls, crashing waves, or rapids. If you are into HDR, multiple exposures should also widen the dynamic range (I base this on the curves on the DXO site where the lower the ISO the wider the dynamic range), this should make a 1 shot HDR a more legitimate pursuit.

10-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks mithrandir. i'll work on it.
10-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

mithrandir has explained it well, you may try to experiment with multiple exposure to create some really intersting abstracts - take a look at this image by Freeman Patterson:

Freeman Patterson : Giclee Prints
10-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have tried this technique quite a few times with interesting results. It certainly reduces noise as I have taken similar shots with long exposures using an ND8 filter and with multi exposures. Great effect on water and clouds. The following image was taken with a 9 shot multi exposure iso 100 1/500 f8 AV . I always use a tripod (of course!) and remote.

10-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

10-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #9

Nice shot.

That wouldn't be Canal Rocks in Margaret River would it?

Looks very familiar.
10-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks crazynuts, Sugarloaf Rock out on Cape Naturliste...so you were close!
10-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I have tried this technique quite a few times with interesting results. It certainly reduces noise as I have taken similar shots with long exposures using an ND8 filter and with multi exposures. Great effect on water and clouds. The following image was taken with a 9 shot multi exposure iso 100 1/500 f8 AV . I always use a tripod (of course!) and remote.
Thanks for posting that picture. As I suspected, the dynamic range is definitely wider with the multiple exposure than with a single shot. In effect, we have had an HDR camera all along.