Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Pentax Electronic Cable Switch v/s Pentax Infrared Remote Control F

Hi, sorry if this is a "dumb" question, what is the main difference between the Pentax Electronic Cable Switch and the Pentax Infrared Remote Control, do they provide different functionality ?, or they are supposed to be used for different options ?, my main objective is to be able to press the shutter remotely, thanks

10-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Both can be used to trigger the shutter remotely.
The Cable switch, as the name says, is a physical cable.
The Infrared Remote control is more convenient as you don't need to mess with a cable.

With a Pre-K-7 body, you needed the cable if you wanted to lock the shutter open in bulb mode. Or continuously press the Infrared remote.

K-7 and K-X now have the option of setting the Remote behaviour to one press to open the shutter in Bulb mode, and another press to close the shutter - just like a cable switch lock.
Really cool new function - I really appreciate it when I shoot in Bulb mode.
10-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both a cable and an IR unit. For me, one of the major differences is the ability to loose the IR unit since it is so small - and especially at night in the dark. The wired unit is attached to the camera, larger and thus easier to find - and not loose...
10-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Both can be used to trigger the shutter remotely.
The Cable switch, as the name says, is a physical cable.
The Infrared Remote control is more convenient as you don't need to mess with a cable.

With a Pre-K-7 body, you needed the cable if you wanted to lock the shutter open in bulb mode. Or continuously press the Infrared remote.

K-7 and K-X now have the option of setting the Remote behaviour to one press to open the shutter in Bulb mode, and another press to close the shutter - just like a cable switch lock.
This explains the functionality, and I think perhaps you may add that the cable's raison d'etre is to release the shutter with out any chance of causing camera movement. If, for instance, your camera is mounted on a tripod and using the MLU feature with exposures in the 1/8 or 1/4 second range where using the shutter could cause some degree of camera movement during exposure.

On the other hand, the Infrared Remote was originally designed to trigger the camera from a distance (viz: remotely) and only since the K-7 has the functionality been incorporated to allow it to be used for the same purpose as the cable release. Personally, I don't need the remote capability and find the cable release easier as I don't have to ensure it is pointed at the camera, I can focus on the subject not on the shutter release.

10-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it possible to put the mirror up continuously, and then use a shutter cable without the vibration of mirror slap. I think one would have to use the maintenance mode mirror lockup to do this.

I was out with a Canon shooter the other day, both of us with tripods, and he was doing this while i was using a 2 second lockup. But there are situations where the 2 sec delay is limiting.
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Is it possible to put the mirror up continuously, and then use a shutter cable without the vibration of mirror slap. I think one would have to use the maintenance mode mirror lockup to do this.

I was out with a Canon shooter the other day, both of us with tripods, and he was doing this while i was using a 2 second lockup. But there are situations where the 2 sec delay is limiting.
On the K-7, both the IR Remote and Cable Remote can work with the Mirror Lock-up function, you just need to set it in the "Drive Mode" menu. The shutter triggers immediately when you press the IR or Cable Remote.
This is a True Mirror-Lockup function, separate from the 3-second self-timer mirror-lockup, which is still available in another menu.
10-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #7

I have an infra red remote for my K200D.

Unless I have missed something, if I select infra red remote control in the drive-mode menu, then I cannot also use continuous, self timer or auto bracket shooting modes.

I find this very annoying as I would like to use infra red WITH auto bracket.

Is there a way around this, or do other Pentax models not have this restriction?

10-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
I have an infra red remote for my K200D.

Unless I have missed something, if I select infra red remote control in the drive-mode menu, then I cannot also use continuous, self timer or auto bracket shooting modes.

I find this very annoying as I would like to use infra red WITH auto bracket.

Is there a way around this, or do other Pentax models not have this restriction?
Unfortunately, in the K200D, I believe the continuous, self-timer and autobracket settings are separate functions from the Remote setting - so it doesn't look like they can co-exist.

With the K-7 IR Remote works with Continuous drive mode, as well as Auto Bracketing.

There is a 3 second timer delay available with the IR remote, but not the full 12 second self timer. I think the designers assumed you can control the camera using the remote, and the 3 seconds gives you enough time to compose yourself (and put away the remote !)
10-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As kittykat has mentioned, with the K-7, the IR remote now works just like a traditional cable release to lock the shutter open in Bulb mode. To me that makes using the electronic cable release somewhat redundant when shooting very long exposures. Also the remote release is an indispensable accessory that's used all the time in our Pentax monthly group outings when we need to shoot group shots after setting up the camera on the tripod.
10-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Also the remote release is an indispensable accessory that's used all the time in our Pentax monthly group outings when we need to shoot group shots after setting up the camera on the tripod.
Oh yeah, but I always forgot to bring mine Same thing happened again during last weekend's outing