Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many occasionally focus with Live View?
K20D: I don't MF with Live View 2142.86%
K20D: I sometimes MF with Live View 918.37%
K7: I don't MF or AF with Live View 714.29%
K7: I sometimes MF or AF with Live View 1734.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How many are using Live View to occasionally focus with

I was out shooting in a formal garden area with a Canon 50D friend, both using tripods, and observed him using Live View to compose and focus with (i believe).

So lately, i've been playing with Live View on my K20. One advantage on the K20 is that for night focusing, i seem to be able to get a higher lit scene to manually focus with via Live View than the viewfinder. One frustration with the K20 is that pushing the AF button (or any button) will take one back to normal view. You can manually focus with Live View, but thats about it. One can't even adjust the ISO setting and see how that affects the view, its always at the same light intensity in Live View.

With practice, i was able to manually focus using live view, but i much prefer my K20 viewfinder, esp with my Katz Eye installed.

For two popular Pentax cameras, i put up a poll to see if MF with Live View is a new trend. Wasn't sure if K7 allows AF while in Live View so added that into poll in case it allows it. Sorry about new Kx owners, as poll options are limited to 4.

PS 1: This is not a complaint against the K20, as i knew when i bought it that it wasn't famed for its Live View.

PS 2: The K20 and Canon 50D have roughly the same pixel count. As far as IQ, i'm happy to report that in the rainy cloudy conditions we had, IMO, the K20 with a DA 50-135 was producing as good as, or better IQ than what i saw later online from his camera. Oh yeah, he felt the need to use an umbrella while I didn't :-) The Canon 50D does have gaskets around the battery and card doors, i read later. I thought the K20 did excellent for an 18 mo. older design :-) I would mention that the long hood on the DA lens eliminated any need for me to wipe rain drops off the lens, a very big help. Yeah i know its no formal test :-)

Last edited by philbaum; 10-25-2009 at 11:48 AM.
10-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haven't used live view a single time since I own the K20D (1 1/2 years).
I wouldn't even know how to turn it on right now.
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used LV on the K20D when I want a higher perspective than eye-level or what my tripod can get to and want to frame the shot right by looking at the screen to check the composition. No other time.
10-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I occasionally use LV on my K20D for framing shots where I can't see through the view finder such as holding the camera above my head or down all the way on the ground. I have used the zoom feature to perfect my focus, but its so grainy that its sometimes hard to tell if you are on. And the delay between the press and actual shutter is a mess.

10-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd use the "crappy" live view on my K20D for my food photography while plugged to a monitor/TV. Very useful stuff once you learn it's limitations and how you can find a use for it, it's great especially when working with food stylists and clients.

10-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dang it Diego - i added on 4000 calories just looking at those pics. Nice job :-)

Definite trend developing with the poll, K7 owners are clearly using their Live Views more than us K20 guys. I'm already drooling from Diego's images, perhaps the K7 guys would tell us how good their Live Views are - hope they are not bashful or somethin. What got me started was a magazine article saying that live views are the future.
10-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Dang it Diego - i added on 4000 calories just looking at those pics. Nice job :-)

Definite trend developing with the poll, K7 owners are clearly using their Live Views more than us K20 guys. I'm already drooling from Diego's images, perhaps the K7 guys would tell us how good their Live Views are - hope they are not bashful or somethin. What got me started was a magazine article saying that live views are the future.
Thanks buddy

I use the K-7 Live View too and it's a lot better. Although the "crappy" one on my K20D was a big help as well. You can adjust the setting on the fly while on the K20D I'd have to set the camera exposure first as you can't adjust things on Live View.

Anyway it's just a feature that can be a big help to some, and totally useless for others, but it'll never totally replace the way I shoot non-tabletop photos.

10-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

With manual lenses, or for macro, live view is a joy for focusing. When you use a reversing ring, it gets ludicrously useful.
10-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Why didn't anyone tell me that the K7 has Live View - I would played with it at least once!

Read what Manual?

LOL - There are rare times that I will use it, now that I know about it, but for the most part I like to hide behind the body and the grip.

You can't see me - but I can see you!
10-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Only if I need a awkward viewing angle viewpoint.
I use the AF Catch-Focus for MF lenses, or just use a small f/stop with the DOF scale (I correct for the crop factor with DOF calculator on line & jot down a few ranges I may use).
But it's nice to have it if I need it.