Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Would you rather have a K-x?
I have a K-7 and I would rather keep it 11251.61%
I have a K-7 and would rather have a K-x 135.99%
I don't have a K-7 9242.40%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.

Because of the price difference, to make it an honest question we may want to ask:


Given the chance, would you trade your K-7 for a K-x + FA 35 f/2? (Or DA 35ltd)?


Now, that would be a tough choice!


No ! I'll buy the lens separately !

another hypothetical question, let's say both system are sold at the same price, would you get the k-7 or the k-x? you can choose only one body though. so have your pick !

10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
No ! I'll buy the lens separately !

another hypothetical question, let's say both system are sold at the same price, would you get the k-7 or the k-x? you can choose only one body though. so have your pick !
Same exact price? K-7.
10-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
that would make a killer lowlight setup jsherman but I still say I would go K-7. Its the perfect upgrade for macro from the K200d IMO. I dont care about high ISO performance all that much.
10-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
zxaar, I believe you are trying to validate your purchase of the k-x too much by saying that it's better camera or better investment because of the base ISO that you are debating. although the results that you are saying are still questionable.
I think is where all misunderstanding is.
I am not saying k-x is better camera than k7, because a camera has many things. Clearly k7 has many features where as k-x is restricted. But k7 costs almost double too. (anyway price is for features).

The thing that i am saying is if you take into account only the sensor performance and keep everything else exact same, i would go with k-x sensor rather than k7's sensor.

All these questions like - with same price which one, or those who already have k7 will they exchange for k-x will only result in one answer , that will be in favour of k7.

Anyway in few days we will find out where k7 and kx sensors are ranked, one dxomark do their tests. Till then goodbye.

10-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
anyway to see what people think of their sensors i put the question there at dpr:

k7 or k7x: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

so far its in favour of k-x. Keep a watch on it.
10-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
anyway to see what people think of their sensors i put the question there at dpr:

k7 or k7x: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

so far its in favour of k-x. Keep a watch on it.
LOL ! the comparison here is about the K-7 versus the kx. where and why did you come up with the k7x hybrid? are you unsatisfied and uncertain that the kx can't beat the k7?

pardon me, but that poll is clearly silly, nor feasible and not worth to be monitored. it is not different from a supposed K7x versus a kx thread. you can create a thread like that as well and it wouldn't prove your point at all that the kx (by itself) is better.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-27-2009 at 04:13 AM.
10-27-2009, 04:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
I think is where all misunderstanding is.
I am not saying k-x is better camera than k7, because a camera has many things. Clearly k7 has many features where as k-x is restricted. But k7 costs almost double too. (anyway price is for features).

The thing that i am saying is if you take into account only the sensor performance and keep everything else exact same, i would go with k-x sensor rather than k7's sensor.

All these questions like - with same price which one, or those who already have k7 will they exchange for k-x will only result in one answer , that will be in favour of k7.

Anyway in few days we will find out where k7 and kx sensors are ranked, one dxomark do their tests. Till then goodbye.
zxaar,
in all honesty, I give kudos to the k-x. but I don't personally consider it to be a sound investment for my part. I'm still not sold out due to it's softer and less detailed images (you, however feel differently). that's the issue that I'm considering and needed to be fixed as well. I want to see better results, thus the need for a much better Sony sensor.

you maybe saying a what if the K7 has the k-x sensor. sure, Pentax could do that and people will be happy (I'm still not happy with the detail issue though). but I don't believe at this current state of the competition that Pentax would be willing to do that because Pentax is supposed to be the affordable third-party company it is perceived to be. if Pentax did that this year, I don't see the K7 being priced at 1200 bucks but rather at 1600 or 1800. that's about 400-600 dollars additional. the same price of that of a whole new kx body. now, people are already having difficulty buying the k7 at it's current price tag, so it should be no surprise if only a handful could own or willing to buy such camera hybrid, especially if it's nearly within the price reach of some of the Canikon/Sony FF camera (except the 7D) and way above the other competing dslrs such as the D90 and 50D. Pentax would be killing it's own market, especially if it's trying to woe potential buyers to it's affordable price. they would likely buy the more popular brand CaNikon which are cheaper compared to something expensive that is unknown to them.

I believe I posted something about that. that it is sound for Pentax to release a better Sony sensor with a better body next year, rather than this year. so that Pentax could sell a camera at a market price range that they are known for. enough time to dwindle the price of technology and demand down so that more people could afford it.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-27-2009 at 06:34 AM.
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
LOL ! the comparison here is about the K-7 versus the kx. where and why did you come up with the k7x hybrid? are you unsatisfied and uncertain that the kx can't beat the k7?

pardon me, but that poll is clearly silly, nor feasible and not worth to be monitored. it is not different from a supposed K7x versus a kx thread. you can create a thread like that as well and it wouldn't prove your point at all that the kx (by itself) is better.


well it is because i was talking about sensor performance, and not camera as a whole.

you see, i shoot in manual mode so in a camera i only want apperture control shutter control and iso settting.
Since 90% of my lenses are manual focus, liveview is also important. Hence all extra features of k7 are not useful for me. This is why given a choice and if they both cost same i will still pick kx over k7. That poll keeps everything the same and only changes sensor. Hypothetical but proves the point that people think kx has better sensor than k7.


Last edited by zxaar; 10-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
zxaar,
in all honesty, I give kudos to the k-x. but I don't personally consider it to be a sound investment for my part. I'm still not sold out due to it's softer and less detailed images (you, however feel differently). that's the issue that I'm considering and needed to be fixed as well. I want to see better results, thus the need for a much better Sony sensor.

sorry for not replying everything. About softness of k-x.

have a look at this thread.


k-x , harbour lands: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

k-x is not bad with kit lense.
If you want to compare, spend sometime with canon 5d samples in dpreivews.
Here is one similar photo from canon 5d sample
(look at the foliage/tree at 100% and compare it with k-x image i posted in that thread).

Assuming 5d is very good cam, k-x is not doing bad.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos5d_samples/originals/img_6783.jpg
10-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #40
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pilsen, Czech Republic
Posts: 224
There is no softness issue with K-x. Who made that up?
10-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #41
Senior Member
Rich_A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 213
Let me propose a totally new poll: who would take a brand new sensor produced with today's latest technology or one that is 12 months old?

Seriously, this entire poll is a waste of time. Technology changes every second. If you have to poll everyone whether progress is being made, we're all doomed.
10-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
Let me propose a totally new poll: who would take a brand new sensor produced with today's latest technology or one that is 12 months old?

Seriously, this entire poll is a waste of time. Technology changes every second. If you have to poll everyone whether progress is being made, we're all doomed.
that is true but people who value some specific feature would pick 12 months old sensor. For example for some weather sealing is important.
10-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #43
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
There is no softness issue with K-x. Who made that up?

nobody is making it up. it's obvious to see. my eyesight may had develop some defects which affected my vision, but not disabling enough not to notice the difference in detail and sharpness of the images. besides, I could always blow up the images for my viewing convenience. I'm looking the k-x at a critical approach, but not to undermine the k-x sensor. but rather to see what could be done to make it much better as to satisfy people who are critical with detail. such lack in solid minute detail could had been caused by the Noise Removal/Reduction application brought by the sensor inorder to produce clear and clean images at the expense of much sharper images. the K-7 has this detail sharpness at the cost of Noise, while the K-x has a very good High ISO performance at the cost of detail sharpness. question, is the IQ sharpness of the k-x better or equal to the K-7? how bout against the 7D which has a strong application of NR?

no pun intended but I would go for the 7D rather than the K-x if HIGH ISO Performance and detail sharpness are fairly similar. come to think of it, how much does the 7D costs anyway?
10-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #44
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Could you link to some of these soft samples (I assume these aren't the horrible flickr ones). One person has the opposite view, saying the K-x has better per-pixel sharpness than the K-7

In the a very controlled comparison a member did against the K2000, the K-x seemed to be just as sharp and detail retaining.
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member
Barnster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid North Coast,Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,013
I don't own either yet,but the K7 is the one that I'm going to buy next.I like the thought of having the good old LCD screen on the top of the camera.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-7, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top