Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #1

Could use advice on K10d

Hi, I am new to DSLR's, and am wanting a K10d. I am so confused about what to order. Some sites have kits with tripods, bags, lens, etc. Plus, there are different kits to chose from. Can anyone tell me what I really need? I do not have any lens that I can use, as my last SLR was a Canon film camera. I have a tripod, but don't know if the camera needs it's own, and I have no idea whether I need a flash. And I certainly don't know which lens to buy!!

Here's what I will mainly use the camera for: kids sports, basketball as well as outside sports, kids school functions and other inside shots. And, I take pics of my little dog and make cards with them for nursing home residents.

Thank you in advance for any information.

11-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billie Quote
Hi, I am new to DSLR's, and am wanting a K10d. I am so confused about what to order. Some sites have kits with tripods, bags, lens, etc. Plus, there are different kits to chose from. Can anyone tell me what I really need? I do not have any lens that I can use, as my last SLR was a Canon film camera. I have a tripod, but don't know if the camera needs it's own, and I have no idea whether I need a flash. And I certainly don't know which lens to buy!!

Here's what I will mainly use the camera for: kids sports, basketball as well as outside sports, kids school functions and other inside shots. And, I take pics of my little dog and make cards with them for nursing home residents.

hi

sounds like the same boat I have just got out of
there is a deal right now that (in canada, not sure about other countries, you need to check) that if you buy a sigma lens that is made for digital cameras (I am getting the 17mm-70mm macro), and the 500 super flash, you save a 100 dollars. the flash is 279 canadian dollars, so that would make it 179 dollars, which is a real steal. It is supposed to be as good as the top pentax zoom, but at 499 canadian dollars, it is way to much for me. I have to admit the pentax is built much better, though.
my uses for the camera are different then yours, so I am sure others who share your type of photography will be more then willing to help

one thing to take in consirderation with a new lens: if the lens says 50mm-200mm, with the k10 it is 75mm-300mm as you multiply the lens x 1.5

good luck

randy
11-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of these "kits" are bad value because they give you a lot you don't need.

Since you're new to DSLR - get the camera with the 18-55mm lens (the "kit lens"). You can get that lens for about $100 when purchased with the camera. You can't beat that bargain.

Start shooting and you will then learn what other lens(es), if any, you might need.

Use the camera's built-in flash for a start. Again, based on experience, decide if you really need an external flash.

The tripod you have from your Canon days will fit the Pentax.
11-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
With the K10D I personally will be using my Pentax 16-45mm to use anything less would be a shame. Generally the Pentax onboard flashes work quite well but they will be very limited in range, I have a Sigma DG Super and it is excellent, I highly recommend these units.

11-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #5

i agree that the kit lens is pretty good value. I inquired abt my K100D w/o the kit lens and the shop was only willing to discount $50AUD off! so even selling off the kit on ebay would recoup more than that The K100D kit lens (sigma 18-50, in Oz), seems to be pretty good quality.
11-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #6

I have the Sigma 18-50, Pentax 18-55 and the Pentax 16-45 and there is not a lot between them, they all produce quite good results but I am expecting that the K10D will be best with the 16-45.
11-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Buy the K10D with the 18-55 kit lens to get started. If you want a little better lens that is wider get the Pentax 16-45. If you want to spend a little more the next lens should be the 50-200.
Since the K10D uses a special battery buy at least 1 extra. That way you can shoot while the other is recharging. You will need memory cards. I would buy 1gb - 2gb in size. I would want at least 2 cards to start with. Many people would add a skylight/uv filter to protect the lens and a screen protector for the back lcd. This could depend on how careful you are with your equipment. A nice camera bag to keep everything in will round out the starting set up. Buy a bigger one than you need so you won't have to buy another next month.
I personally use a card reader instead of the camera to download pics. To use cards bigger than 2gb you need the new SDHC cards and readers. I am undecided on that yet.
thanks
barondla
11-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
WRB
Forum Member

Buy it with kit lens and see where you feel you need a lens beyond the 18-55. I have 3-4 lens that just sit and wait their turn and 2-3 that are with me always. I would buy only the K10 and kit lens the extras would wait until I knew exactly what I wanted. K10 is top of line so I will assume you will want the same in your other items they are not likely to be found in the sales pkg deals.

11-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Billie Quote

I would stick with Pentax lenses. Your best bet is the K10+18-55 kit lens and the DA 50-200 (the DA lens is about $170 after rebate). Try these and find out what is your most used focal point.

Based on most used focal point then choose from the following:
Pentax DA 12-24
Pentax DA 16-45
Pentax FA 50 F/1.4
Pentax FA 77 F/1.8
Tamron 28-75 F/2.8

I have a feeling you'll keep the 50-200

Last year I carried around (only) a 4 kit lens for over 9 months, and it served me just fine.
Pentax FA 20-35 F/4 on my DS
Pentax FA 50 F/1.4
Pentax F* 300 F/4.5
Tamron SP 90 F/2.8 macro