Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D survives 4 foot fall

Well I'm generally very careful with my equipment. Barely any of it shows any wear, except maybe where the quick-release mount plate screws into the bottom of my camera.

Anyway, I had a holster bag/belt with me the other day, but I had it on the table because I was doing other work. Well I took the camera out (k200d) to take a few quick snapshots then put it back and didn't attach the top. You can see where this is going...

Well when I picked up the bag 5 minutes later I forgot I didn't close the top, and out came camera from about 4 feet up and bounced on the carpet. I guess you could call it carpet, very thin carpet over a concrete floor, but still provided a little bit more bounce than bare concrete alone.

So naturally I turn it on - nothing. I turn it off, turn it on, and the dust reduction thingy goes. Okay... the rear LCD comes on, but nothing else. Ho hum... I'm a little panicked but get in the car and go home. Get home, test it out once more - everything works, just the top LCD and inner viewfinder info doesn't work. I take out the batteries and let it sit for half an hour. Put batts back in and turn it back on - bingo, everything is back to normal.

Woo hoooo! Luck was with me yesterday! Let's hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon...!

10-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a close call for you Dan.
Hope it stays functioning well for you...
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about this Dan.

I had my camera thrown onto the floor so many times to prove that camera gears are not my babies and that I am not obsessed with these gear.

It worked effectively to convince my folks that these are just camera gear.
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Ash.

James, yeah while I don't baby my stuff, I generally haven't tossed it on the floor intentionally either.

I just can't afford to replace it, that's all.

10-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have dropped my K10 two or three times on to concrete floors. The big thing that it changed was that suddenly the auto focus was off -- consistently back focusing. Fortunately, it was fixable with the firmware hack that is out there. Still, accidents happen...
10-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Spotmatic was in a backpack that took a fall off a cliff. It survived that one and also 2 motorcycle crashes.
10-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Happened to my K10D on a tile floor which resulted in a cracked viefinder. Everything else ok.

Woo Hoo for you! I am so glad for you!
10-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I dropped my k20d off of a good 4 foot bar . It had the da 16-50, grip and 540 flash on it. I forgot I had the flash tethered to my TR battery back as I stepped away from the counter. It landed on a very similar carpet/cement flooring as you had. ironically the tethering probably helped a bit by adding tension before it hit the ground. none the less it was a darn heavy set up to hit the floor. no ill effects.