Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newb with K-x questions

Hello all.

I think the screen name says it all. Iím a newbie to the world of DSLR. I have been thinking about upgrading from a P&S to DSLR for several years, and I am finally ready. I initially targeted the Nikon D90, but the high costs of VR lenses of turns me off. I liked the specs of the K-7, but I think it is more camera than my limited (none) experience is ready for.

I have been reading about the K-x and it appears to be everything I am looking for. Itís reasonably priced with good performance and excellent high ISO capabilities. High ISO is important because of a planned trip next year where it will come in very handy. I wish it was sealed, but canít have everything for that price.

I guess my questions are:

Is the K-x a good camera for someone stepping up from a P&S? Or will it also be over my head like the K-7?

As you may know, Amazon is currently offering the K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 for $750. I donít know much, but dang, that seems like a great deal. I realize those lenses are not pro quality by any stretch, but are they at least decent? Is this as good of a deal as it seems?

Just as an FYI, Amazon currently has the K-7 for $1031.

Thanks.

10-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a really good deal, the 55-300 is an awesome lens with a lot of reach, better than everything else in the class and under like $600. The K-x is a great starter DSLR with a lot of help functions built in and scene modes!

And this forum is one of the most helpful communities you can find in the DSLR world!
10-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
You've done your research well and come to a good conclusion...
The K-x is indeed a very good deal and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
The K-x itself matches or betters the D90 in performance and is not too complicated a camera to operate (Pentax have much better user interfaces compared to other brands in my opinion).
High ISO is a real winner with the K-x and there is a world of opportunity with lenses you can pair up with the K-x to get the kind of images you want.
Starting off with a kit lens and DA 55-300 will give you a decent range with decent quality - with shake reduction on all lenses you use on the K-x and value for money that's unbeatable.
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is a great camera, but what specifcally di you find "over your head" abut the K-7? Put it in AF focus mode, P exposure mode, point, and shoot. All Pentax DSLR's provide these same options. Sure, there's lots more you *can* get into if you, but if you want simplicity of operation, all DSLR's basically give you the exact same options.

10-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K-x is a great camera, but what specifcally di you find "over your head" abut the K-7? Put it in AF focus mode, P exposure mode, point, and shoot. All Pentax DSLR's provide these same options. Sure, there's lots more you *can* get into if you, but if you want simplicity of operation, all DSLR's basically give you the exact same options.
As far as over my head, I guess I meant being able to use and understand most of the features of the K-7. If I am shooting in mostly auto mode with the K-7, I don't think I would be getting my moneys worth. Granted, I would be doing the same with the K-x, but at a cheaper price.

My mind is not made up yet. I'm not the type to upgrade very often, so whatever I get, I will likely have for many years. The K-7, or something similar, would be a camera that I could grow into for sure. My main concerns with the K7 are; complexity, price and questionable high ISO. I will be doing little to no post processing.

Thanks.
10-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnoob Quote
As far as over my head, I guess I meant being able to use and understand most of the features of the K-7. If I am shooting in mostly auto mode with the K-7, I don't think I would be getting my moneys worth. Granted, I would be doing the same with the K-x, but at a cheaper price.

My mind is not made up yet. I'm not the type to upgrade very often, so whatever I get, I will likely have for many years. The K-7, or something similar, would be a camera that I could grow into for sure. My main concerns with the K7 are; complexity, price and questionable high ISO. I will be doing little to no post processing.

Thanks.
No matter how complex the camera is, no matter what happens, in the end you'll always figure it out. It's better to start off with the most complex camera than to start off with the easier camera. Just my opinion, I wish I would of started off with a K20D instead of K2000.
10-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnoob Quote

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

Don't get hung up on "advanced" features and the like - the plain fact of the matter is, in terms of complexity, there is actually only a relative small amount of difference between most DSLR's. A K7 is not going to be any more difficult to learn and use than a K-x.

"Advanced features" often equate to things like faster continuous shooting, a larger memory buffer, larger viewfinder, etc. There aren't any secret modes or anything like that.

As Marc has advised, stick the camera in "P" mode and fire away!