Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 fuzzy images

I've been taking a lot of pictures of the incredible autumn colors here in the midwest with both my new k7 and my k20.
With same lens, same settings and same scene the k7 images are noticeable fuzzy compared to the k20 images. I'm wondering if anyone else has had such a problem.

10-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You haven't given us a lot of detail to help point you in the right direction..., but I'll ask the most obvious question - do you have shake reduction enabled in the menu (it's not on a toggle anymore), and if so did you wait for the shaking hand image to show in the viewfinder before snapping the pic?

c[_]
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also do you shoot RAW or JPEG and if JPEG, what is your sharpness setting?
10-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Post the pictures, preferably with EXIF still attahced. If you can't post somewhere that preserves EXIF, at least tell us what ISO, aperture, and shutter speed were used for each. Also tell us which focus point you selected, and whether SR was on.

It's impossible to say until then, but my guess is that the answer will turn out to be some combination of camera shake from specifying too low a shutter speed, shallow DOF from specifying too large an aperture, and not having specified exactly where you wanted to focus to be.

10-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for responding.

The shake reduction is on and operating as I snap the shutter. I shoot 4-star JPEG and the sharpness setting is 2 clicks right of center.

I've tried a few different lenses on each of the cameras to compare. Today I was using a Tamron 18-250 zoom. Other tests have included the 40 mm limited and the Pentax D star 16-50 zoom.

In most cases, the k7 is less sharp than the k20.
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please post examples of what you're describing.
There are a lot of reasons for blur, including camera shake, focus problems and motion blur.
10-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You should start by comparing RAW shots so that in-camera sharpening doesn't affect your test.
10-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #8

Fuzzy k7

I also have this problem. With the k-7 and K-20set up with all the same settings shooting in raw the k7 is notably softer. I have used the focus adjust and it does not really help. I find the best picture quality but it does not come close to the K. 20. I will have to post some example pictures but I have not figured that out yet. I really liked this camera and am still trying to figure out what exactly is wrong but at the moment it looks like something screwy with the camera. I think a trip to Pentax repair is in order maybe they can figure it out. If there is other members with a K20 and k7 check them out and see if the image quality is the same or not. I am hoping that this new imager for video is not degrading the still pictures. All my test shots were on a tripod with no SR same lens and exact same settings. If this problem can't be fixed and I have a fine looking expensive paperweight.

10-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am getting the opposite problem. I may be stark raving made but i cannot get my 20D to BITE like the 100D or 10D did. Well, it seems to in good light but foliage in lowish light gets fuzzy quickly.
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BCtoad Quote
I will have to post some example pictures but I have not figured that out yet.
Most straightforward way is to get an account with flickr or or some other service that lets you upload images, then when posting a message here, click the "picture" icon and paste in the url of your uploaded image (not of the *page* containing your uploaded image, but the image itself).

QuoteQuote:
I think a trip to Pentax repair is in order maybe they can figure it out.
I'd highly recommend *against* sending a camera in until you have a good understanding of the problem. chances are excellent its just something you aren't doing right, they won't be able to reproduce the problem, and you'll have sent it for nothing.

QuoteQuote:
If there is other members with a K20 and k7 check them out and see if the image quality is the same or not.
There are more than enough samples images and comments from owners online to have established tht the K-7 is perfectly capable of producing results as good as the K20D.
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bisjack Quote
the sharpness setting is 2 clicks right of center.
I seem to remember that someone else had the same problem, and it ended up being the sharpness setting. Try changing it back to default and I'd be surprised if you don't notice a big improvement.
10-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I doubt turning sharpening *down* would improve sharpness. I suspect you are remembering a discussion of *noise* - it is true that turning sharpening down will help make noise less prominent.