Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

couple of K-X questions

I am using a k100D SLR at the moment and have been thinking for a while of upgrading to a K7 but the price($1200 aud) has always been the thing that has stopped me. Now I am seriously looking at the K-X as it has most of the features I wanted. 12MP compared to 6mp, the shake reduction system etc. Also i can keep using all the high power rechargeable AA batteries that i have. I believe this camera would be a good upgrade to my k100d.

A couple of questions I have though are:

I know that the K100d couldn't use the high speed motors that are on some lenses, can the k-x take advantage of these?

Can a battery grip be used with the k-x. (not a biggie but just nice to know)

thanks

David

10-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by isusdfr Quote
I am using a k100D SLR at the moment and have been thinking for a while of upgrading to a K7 but the price($1200 aud) has always been the thing that has stopped me. Now I am seriously looking at the K-X as it has most of the features I wanted. 12MP compared to 6mp, the shake reduction system etc. Also i can keep using all the high power rechargeable AA batteries that i have. I believe this camera would be a good upgrade to my k100d.

A couple of questions I have though are:

I know that the K100d couldn't use the high speed motors that are on some lenses, can the k-x take advantage of these?

Can a battery grip be used with the k-x. (not a biggie but just nice to know)

thanks

David
Yes, SDM lenses will work with the K-x (this has been in every model since the K100dSuper (the one after yours!). Also, the Pentax SDM lenses aren't necessarily faster (speed is largely dependent on the build of a particular lens), but they are whisper quiet.

No official grip will be made for the K-x, as there are no contacts that would provide any useable functionality. there likely may be some 3rd party plastic attachments to simulate a grip, but it would have little if any functionality.
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #3

Ony pro level Pentax DSLR has battery grip add-on. I know there are 3rd party grip for K100D, it might happen to the K-x as well.
10-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
Ony pro level Pentax DSLR has battery grip add-on. I know there are 3rd party grip for K100D, it might happen to the K-x as well.
The K200D has a grip, the bg3 i believe. Not a pro camera though.

10-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
It is possible a 3rd party grip would get made - however there isn't one for the Km/K2000 which is the same body, so I kind of doubt it. The main reason for this being there is no cable remote release input on these two bodies (Km and Kx) - the 3rd party grips have generally had a shutter release via a short cable which plugs into the cable remote release input - without it, there wouldn't be much point. Sure, something could possibly made to slip into the battery compartment and possibly add an extra couple of AA cells, however the amount of R&D would be way over the cost based on what would likely be very limited demand.
10-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D instead?

To the OP--

I was new to Pentax but weighing the same factors. You might consider a K200D.

Got one at Bestbuy.com as a factory refurb with 1-year warranty for under $400--about what a used one goes for. Perfect. It works with SDM lenses, has a nice 10MP sensor, weatherproofing and available battery grip (about $30 recently online!).

I'm also enamored of the K-x with its svelte form factor and fine high-ISO performance. Yet I will wait a bit to see how it fares in real-world use. And it is possible that Pentax might yet do a direct replacement for the K200D or K-7 with the new Sony sensor. The best of all worlds!