Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #1

LCD Protector for K10D

For those of you who may be interested, I found out from Delkin, that while they do not manufacture a screen protector specifically for the K10D they do have a generic 2.5 inch shade that will fit.

Delkin USA :: Pop Up Shades :: Universal/Point and Shoot Shades :: Pop Up Shade-Universal Shade Black for 2.5" LCDs.

For $20 it looks like a good deal.

06-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The local shop here sells one that attaches to the eye piece the way that an eye cup would, then hangs down over the LCD. Either way I find them to be in my way. I just put a PDA screen protector on mine and it works great. 20 bucks bought enough for about 20 protectors.
06-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
For those of you who may be interested, I found out from Delkin, that while they do not manufacture a screen protector specifically for the K10D they do have a generic 2.5 inch shade that will fit.

Delkin USA :: Pop Up Shades :: Universal/Point and Shoot Shades :: Pop Up Shade-Universal Shade Black for 2.5" LCDs.

I use this Delkin protector without the shade. The shade is easily removed. Works great.

Richard
06-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is any of this really necessary? Some time ago I took care to buy PDA protector sheets and put them on my LCDs. But they do reduce the clarity of what you see, if only slightly. I have read repeatedly that the LCD screen now is very strong and scratch resistant, and I am happy to say that I have no scratches on the back of my K10D now even after daily use during the last five months. I treat the camera carefully, in the sense that I don't just drop it on the couch, etc. But it does get handled quite a bit. I place it in the car on the floor, it gets set on my desk next to computer equipment, etc. So far, no scratches at all.

Will

06-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'm probably just paranoid, I'm always paying attention to make sure I don't damage the screen. I'll be doing a lot of shooting on the beach this summer and will probably buy the protector, if for nothing else it will cut the glare while I'm reviewing images while sitting on the beach.

Shawn
06-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I used my *istD for 3 years with nothing protecting the LCD. When I sold it it didn't have a scratch on it. They are extremely tough.
06-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Is any of this really necessary? Some time ago I took care to buy PDA protector sheets and put them on my LCDs. But they do reduce the clarity of what you see, if only slightly. I have read repeatedly that the LCD screen now is very strong and scratch resistant, and I am happy to say that I have no scratches on the back of my K10D now even after daily use during the last five months. I treat the camera carefully, in the sense that I don't just drop it on the couch, etc. But it does get handled quite a bit. I place it in the car on the floor, it gets set on my desk next to computer equipment, etc. So far, no scratches at all.

Will
I don't know about the Pentax screens but the screen on my first digital P&S (Olympus) got scratched by brushing against the zipper on my jacket while the camera was around my neck.

I used to use the Fellowes Screen Protectors but hated the air bubbles and reduced clarity. The Delkin shade doesn't have either of these problems.

This discussion reminds me of the one about using a filter to protect the front lens element. Some folks do; some don't. It's a personal choice.

Richard
06-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
I agree it's a personal decision. To me if I'm going to spend that much money on a camera or a lens for that matter, the extra cost for either the filter or the screen protector is like buying car insurance. It's great if you don't need it, but when you do you are glad you bought it.

BTW I bought the generic cover last night.

Shawn

06-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

I've been using the Delkins on my compacts and my DS. Its a personal decision but I like the fact that the protector without the shade attached doesm't really add any significant thickness to the body of the camera. And in the grand scheme of things $26 CDN is a small percentage of the money that I have tied up in my cameras
06-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote

check out Walmart.com... I just got one for around 15 bucks (Delkin)
06-20-2007, 02:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I got one for about $0.10. Sometimes DIY is the only way not to get ripped off.
06-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Here's what I use:

Hoodman Coproration

Available at finer camera stores and of course online from BHPhoto and others.
06-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's another great source on Ebay. I got a set from them and am still on the 1st ones (2x3 pack for both the LCD panels) after 4 months. No issues at all and I know they have protected both screens well.

check:
eBay Seller: screenpatronus: k10d, Digital Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com