Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #46

I'm on my 3rd set of four. First was Eneloop, then Varta, and now back to Eneloop.
The first 2 sets got me around 1000 photos. I think i can get more, but the batt indicator was red, and I was shooting a wedding for fun as a guest, so i changed earlier.

I use lifeview to focus quite a bit, and tried some Adhoc video as well.

My cam battery setting is set to NiMh.

Nice little cam. All my Nikon friends are amazed by the high iso shot at 3200 and 6400. I can say the photos from D90 ISO1600 can't even get close to Kx at the 3200 setting.

10-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Nice little cam. All my Nikon friends are amazed by the high iso shot at 3200 and 6400. I can say the photos from D90 ISO1600 can't even get close to Kx at the 3200 setting.
Awesome. I found the camera also killed off my D90 envy. You should start a K-x thread and post a few samples. Weddings can be very challenging subjects.
10-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Thought I'd chime in just to say how excellently my K-x works with my Ni-MH Eneloop batteries. At least 600 shots with regular live view and video recording usage. I have a very high-quality LaCrosse charger, though. That is probably where the problem lies for people with dying batteries.
10-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Just cross-linking for info:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/78291-you-can-read...-exiftool.html

11-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thought I would give this a bump. Please post or PM me with portions of serial numbers and your location, including those who don't have problems so we can see if its a batch or not.
11-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #51

K-x Battery Issue

I'm having issues with my K-x as well. You can see the carnage over at dpforums.

K-x Battery Experience: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

All sorts of battery brands tested including Eneloops and ReCyko+.

Camera was purchased in Toronto, S/N: 34340XXXXX

/kevs
11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #52
rjm
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There seems to be a lot of FUD swirling around.

The battery life with K-x with 1900 mAh AA is 620 shots (420 cipa standard). Video and live view will drain the cells much, much faster.

Still, some people can't get the camera to take more than a couple of shots before shutting down, clearly a big problem.

It seems you have to tell the camera what batteries you are using (NiMH or Lithium) in the menu setup somewhere (I haven't got mine yet so I don't have the manual). The default will be Lithium since that is what the camera ships with.

My worry is people are taking out the lithiums that came with the camera and sticking in NiMH and not setting the camera for the correct battery time. Forgetting to do so will of course generate the kinds of battery depletion/shut down errors some people seem to be experiencing.

It could be a bad batch of cameras, but I would like to positively rule out user error (RTFM!) before making this conclusion.
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #53
ogl
Pentaxian

As I said before. AA is a big mistake. It's time for Pentax to move to small and compact LiOn in low-end cameras.

11-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #54
Inactive Account

After full charging Panasonic Ni-MH, my K-x took some shots without problem - green indicator. I took batteries out and then again put them on, waiting for 30s to turn on. I'm very surprised to see the red indicator. I did many times to take out/on batteries but still had problem of red indicator. This set of Ni-MH was taken 80 shots yesterday. Testing these batteries on Pentax Flash AF200 was OK.

My K-x S/N: 34388XXXXXXXX, was purchased in HCMC, Vietnam
Body made in Philippines
11-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Pentax should just probably say to people: 'in the K-x, alkalines and disposable lithiums work no problem, no matter the brand'.

'But NiMh's have too much variation in capacity, current, voltage, quality, whatever, so we recommend only two brands be used - eg eneloop 2000mAh's (charged with the Sanyo eneloop charger) and something else. We've tested them and they are compatible with the K-x.'

Kind of like they do with SD cards: 'Compatibility with the K-7 has been tested with memory cards from the following manufacturers: Panasonic, Toshiba, Sandisk'.
http://support.pentaximaging.com/documents/384

Last edited by rawr; 11-02-2009 at 02:24 AM.
11-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As I said before. AA is a big mistake. It's time for Pentax to move to small and compact LiOn in low-end cameras.
There are many reports of people using lots of high drain functions fine with NiMH, then there are those that are having problems with the same brand, eneloop.
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #57
Pentaxian

FYI.

For K-x owners trying to understand AA battery issues/problems, the following K200D discussion is one of a number of very illuminating previous discussions on similar issues in this forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/45346-k200d-batter...r-problem.html
11-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would rechargeable CR-V3 batteries help with the battery issue? If so, why don't we just use them?

I hope the K-x I get for wifey doesn't have this probs.
11-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Would rechargeable CR-V3 batteries help with the battery issue? If so, why don't we just use them?

I hope the K-x I get for wifey doesn't have this probs.
There's been a lot of previous discussion around rechargeable CRV's too. Short answer is that they don't fit and also they have other problems. Pentax also doesn't like them.

Ricehigh has had some rechargeable CR-V3 fun here with his K-m:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-m Battery Issue, Solution and Timing Measurbations

Stick with the Energizer Lithiums (or cheaper equivalents like Arlec lithiums from Bunnings which work great too) and only use eneloops for your NiMh's (with an original Sanyo eneloop charger) and I forecast you will have few battery problems.
11-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I received mine today. Been playing with it for a couple hours with duracell pre-charged white-top (duraloops) - Live View, Video, etc. Full green bar the whole time.

I'm thinkin bad batch, (un)fortunately. I hope Pentax will do justice to what seems like improper quality control.

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-02-2009 at 04:15 PM.