Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #121
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
I have a kind of dumb question - is this issue also with the regular alkaline batteries (the non chargeable ones)? I tried to read through all the pages but they are too many and mostly it looks like it is a problem with NiMH type.


Thanks

Abhi

11-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #122
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
I have a kind of dumb question - is this issue also with the regular alkaline batteries (the non chargeable ones)? I tried to read through all the pages but they are too many and mostly it looks like it is a problem with NiMH type.


Thanks

Abhi
It's not a dumb question, but I see no point in using alkaline batteries. I would use lithiums if I choose to use non-rechargeables, because alkalines will run out of power after about 100 images. I've read of one user who tried alkalines and they worked.

I've no interest to test them myself.
11-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #123
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
It's not a dumb question, but I see no point in using alkaline batteries. I would use lithiums if I choose to use non-rechargeables, because alkalines will run out of power after about 100 images. I've read of one user who tried alkalines and they worked.

I've no interest to test them myself.
Thanks for the reply and it is good to know. It takes me a long time to take 100 pictures
So that will work for me..


cheers
11-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #124
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Thanks for the reply and it is good to know. It takes me a long time to take 100 pictures
So that will work for me..
Well it takes me a long time to take 100 decent pictures too

However 100 shutter activations when you're getting to know your equipment does not take long. You'll get over 1000 images from the supplied Lithiums, so I guess you will not be needing/testing other batteries soon...

11-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #125
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
Importance of clean batteries

I'm in the middle of a study of many of my new and old NiMH, in various states of charge, measuring their voltages under various loads and testing them in my K-x.

I just tried one set of partially used batteries that, based on my voltage readings, should have turned the camera on with a red indicator which would turn to green after LV.

Instead I got nothing . I tried many things: many switches on and off, many open battery compartments, much switching order of batteries etc, and light polishing. Still nothing.

Finally, I polished them all quite carefully, on my shorts leg, supplying loads of elbow grease. After this, the camera turned on as expected.
11-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #126
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 37
Hi.

My K-x will be delivered next week.

Should the following batteries and charger work fine?

Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger: Electronics

Thanks.
11-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #127
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
They should work fine. It might take a few use cycles before they are at their best.
11-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #128
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 136
Adorama has some kits which have some rechargeables included. I think they are rated at 2900 mah. Would these likely work well in the Kx?

11-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #129
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
Adorama has some kits which have some rechargeables included. I think they are rated at 2900 mah. Would these likely work well in the Kx?
The problems people have been discussing are related to sustained voltage of the battery. the MAH rating is a measure of a battery's capacity, and isnt directly related to the voltage output a battery can sustain over time. So, it would come down to the brand/type. I have seen the adorama bundles - do they indicate the brand? I dont know much more than what I already said, but if someone else is familiar with the brand I am sure they can help!

On another unrelated note - being the first person to have sold a Kx on the forum (I think? my first black body had no problems, serial number was 3431 from adorama), I just got my white kit today (yes I am that fickle!). Anyway, serial number is completely different (667 or 676, not in front of me at the moment). I also got some new 2450mah energizer rechargeables from walgreens on sale (packaging notes read like they are a new energizer version, stated they hold charge 40% longer than their previous nimh batteries). Fully charged them yesterday, and they have worked fine in the Kx through setup, some liveview testing, a couple of photos and about 10 minutes of video. So, looks as though hopefully the white units arent exhibiting the known battery issues - and that it really is an issue with a bad batch in particular rather than a general problem.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 11-14-2009 at 11:36 PM.
11-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #130
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
I'm in the middle of a study of many of my new and old NiMH, in various states of charge, measuring their voltages under various loads and testing them in my K-x.

I just tried one set of partially used batteries that, based on my voltage readings, should have turned the camera on with a red indicator which would turn to green after LV.

Instead I got nothing . I tried many things: many switches on and off, many open battery compartments, much switching order of batteries etc, and light polishing. Still nothing.

Finally, I polished them all quite carefully, on my shorts leg, supplying loads of elbow grease. After this, the camera turned on as expected.
With the possible current draw, clean contacts very well may be quite important. Hopefully none of that gunk got on the contacts on the K-x side for anyone!
11-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #131
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The problems people have been discussing are related to sustained voltage of the battery. the MAH rating is a measure of a battery's capacity, and isnt directly related to the voltage output a battery can sustain over time. So, it would come down to the brand/type. I have seen the adorama bundles - do they indicate the brand? I dont know much more than what I already said, but if someone else is familiar with the brand I am sure they can help!

On another unrelated note - being the first person to have sold a Kx on the forum (I think? my first black body had no problems, serial number was 3431 from adorama), I just got my white kit today (yes I am that fickle!). Anyway, serial number is completely different (667 or 676, not in front of me at the moment). I also got some new 2450mah energizer rechargeables from walgreens on sale (packaging notes read like they are a new energizer version, stated they hold charge 40% longer than their previous nimh batteries). Fully charged them yesterday, and they have worked fine in the Kx through setup, some liveview testing, a couple of photos and about 10 minutes of video. So, looks as though hopefully the white units arent exhibiting the known battery issues - and that it really is an issue with a bad batch in particular rather than a general problem.
My white K-x starts with 346, wonder why they jumped the numbers like that. Good to hear that its working fine, hope you are liking the whitey
11-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #132
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
One variable that we aren't looking at systematically is the (type of) battery charger used.

Chargers can be classified as slow (timed, 16 hr charge), quick/rapid (3-6 hrs), or fast (< 2 hrs). Also, some can charge any number of cells (individual circuits), while others can only charge either 2 or 4 cells (paired).

I use a fast, individual circuit charger and can successfully power my K-x with a range of batteries.

I notice that some of the people reporting major difficulties are using paired quick/rapid chargers. While these might work OK in the short term, I think long term use can degrade cells leading to high internal resistance. Two issues. First, in a paired charger, one cell will be under-charged, one cell will be over-charged, or both. Second, in a rapid charger, it's relatively easy to miss the dV signal when the cell is charged, and the high charge current is enough to degrade the cells over time.
Paired chargers vary as do single ones, so they don't always cause damage. The most likely occurrence is that one of the pair is cut off slightly early, so there's no actual damage, you just don't get a full charge out of the set. Obviously it is rather more important to keep batteries in sets of 4 with a paired charger than a single type or large imbalances could occur. I can't say that I've noticed any imbalance or loss of capacity in 3yrs of using a Uniross 2+2 smart 1 amp charger with Hybrios and Energizers mainly.

Single chargers used to be expensive, but now they're cheap there's no good reason to carry on using a paired charger. I've just bought a Vapex CS-2900DC 1-4 cell AA/AAA smart charger that takes 2-3 hrs with Eneloops/Hybrios. The slowish charge rate is actually the main reason I've bought it, the batteries hardly get warm and there's no need for fast charging anyway if you have spares. It also has a discharge function. Cost about 12 from
Component-Shop
11-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #133
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Verona
Posts: 60
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I was having LOTS of trouble finding a rechargeable NiMh that worked, so I bought NiZn's. After charging and putting them in my K-x, power light went to green right away and I was good to go.

You WILL need another charger made for these batteries as these are high volt.


wll
please keep us posted about how many shots you can take out them.
thanks!
11-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #134
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Verona
Posts: 60
QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
One variable that we aren't looking at systematically is the (type of) battery charger used.

Chargers can be classified as slow (timed, 16 hr charge), quick/rapid (3-6 hrs), or fast (< 2 hrs). Also, some can charge any number of cells (individual circuits), while others can only charge either 2 or 4 cells (paired).

I use a fast, individual circuit charger and can successfully power my K-x with a range of batteries.

I notice that some of the people reporting major difficulties are using paired quick/rapid chargers. While these might work OK in the short term, I think long term use can degrade cells leading to high internal resistance. Two issues. First, in a paired charger, one cell will be under-charged, one cell will be over-charged, or both. Second, in a rapid charger, it's relatively easy to miss the dV signal when the cell is charged, and the high charge current is enough to degrade the cells over time.
hmmm, I'm not that sure that the charger would be as important as the batteries, at least not in the short term (in the long term I agree it would have effect on their lives).
as for me, I tried 4 chargers: 1 super fast charging 4 cells at a time (sony power charger, 15min for 4x2500mAh), 1 very slow charging pairs (haenel) , 1 average speed charging pairs (Uniross x-press 700), 1 average speed charging cells individually and with charge/discharge cycles (Sony BCG-34HRMF4).
In my latest tests I relied mainly on the latter.
However I didn't find any difference.
11-15-2009, 03:57 AM   #135
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Verona
Posts: 60
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
If you encounter them, the Varta 2500mAhs also work for most of the K-X users.
thanks!

in this regard, I started a new thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/80195-survey-batte...tml#post811680
please help me collecting results! thanks

Last edited by noou; 11-15-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: started new thread
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
australia, batteries, battery, california, camera, canada, dslr, k-x, nimh, photography, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batteries: AA NiMh tech v Block LiIon Hypocorism General Talk 15 11-06-2010 10:33 AM
For Sale - Sold: MAHA 8-Battery 1-Hour Charger + 8 Powerex NiMH batteries (MAHA MH-C801D) (Worl pbo Sold Items 1 04-04-2010 10:41 PM
TR III Battery Pack & NIMH batteries? HawaiianOnline Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 03-26-2010 11:21 AM
Will a Vivitar 285 work with NIMH batteries? Big Dave Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 04-07-2008 03:56 PM
TR Power Pack III Batteries -- NiMH ??? snostorm Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-21-2007 09:03 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top