Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After Warranty Repair...Better Than New?

Sadly, I have to send my 3 month old K-7 in for service. It's got focusing issues that cannot be corrected in camera. My question is, for anyone who has sent their camera to the Chandler AZ facility (K-7's in particular); does it come back better than new? Is it possible to fix a problem permanently an not actually make things worse? I don't know about cameras, but any other electronic products I've sent in for service come back worse for the effort.
Thanks

10-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What's wrong with the focusing? How did this happen all the sudden after 3 months?
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing all of a sudden, just encountered different lighting that required smaller F-stops and Higher ISO that I'd been using in daylight (interiors of churches and museums). I got good results above F8, but at F2.8-5.6 have very poor results. I'm just hoping that the camera comes back in proper working order after an "adjustment".
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My experience so far hasn't been good. I sent in my DA* 16-50 f/2.8 lens because of focusing issues on the K-7 (FF even at -10 correction). The lens they sent back also had this issue, but also had an additional problem with the focusing mechanism (video of problem here: YouTube - Another bad 16-50...) so it immediately went right back to Pentax. This time around though, it went to the CRIS facility instead of Pentax, so I'm even more concerned.

Not only that, but my K-7 is at the facility too; it won't power on anymore. So I'm 0 for 1 so far, with 2 more chances. I'll let you know when they (eventually) return...

- Jason

10-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jason,

Sorry to hear your troubles, but even more surprised others haven't replied that their repairs returned their toys in good order. I guess we can hope that they simply replace what's not right.
10-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A co-worker dropped his K20d, after the drop the top section would not power on (top lcd and viewfinder led info). He sent it back to Pentax and got it back within 2 weeks just as good as new.

I dropped a AF360FGZ flash unit, same story, sent it back, came back better than new. The battery door fit was better when they sent it back. I'm sure they either replaced my flash unit or at least replaced the housing.
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent my K20 to the same facility to be repaired. It has been over six weeks now with no word from Pentax. I called the other day and all they could tell me was that it had been assigned to a repair tech. When I sent it in I was told maybe two but no more than four weeks. Not very good customer service in my book! The problem I was having was the same as everyone else, camera would freeze up and the only way to reset was to remove the battery. Looks like they would have figured out the problem by now and it should be a quick repair. Go figure.

10-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You would think that after a certain time frame, Pentax would spring for a new unit. I'm really sorry to hear your experience has gone this way. I don't know if it's because of the turn over from Pentax to CRIS, but maybe it got lost in a shuffle. I'd start chirping like a magpie by now if I were you. Good luck!
10-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #9

rormeister, do let us know how it goes. I have been lucky and haven't had to deal with the customer service so far with my current K20 nor with the K100D I had earlier.
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far, and I'm probably doing this wrong, but the communication with CRIS is very promising. I'll let you all know how things work out.
10-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had a couple of experiences. My K20 was locking up periodically -- sent it in to Pentax in Colorado and they fixed it very quickly. Sent my 16-50 to CRIS in Arizona. They got it done in about 4 weeks (they were waiting on SDM motors from Pentax), but it works great now. No problems either time.
10-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K20D should be here on Thursday. If it's fixed it will be worth the wait, plus another 12 months warranty. It was gone for six weeks. Thank goodness I have two bodies!
10-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my experience it really depends on where something gets sent. Quality of service can vary greatly based on where you send it or even the tech that worked on it. I don't know if Pentax has their own service centers or contracts the work out to independant shops.

Sometimes when a unit is repaired it will be repaired with revised parts, so in that case it will likely be better than new. It's possible the parts are refurbished, pulled from a unit that was beyond economical repair. It's possible the tech had a bad day and didn't fully test the unit post-reassembly.