Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

max lens mount/tripod mount weight

Does anyone know how heavy of a lens you can put on a k10d? I ask because heavy glass will have it's own tripod mount. It seems old metal lenses with macro tubes could put some real stress on the mount. How does the camera tripod mount fare in the same situation if I mount the tripod witha heavy lens plus macro tubes, that couuld be a large stress on the small tripod mount screw right? Anyone know? Thanks

10-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi soycory,

I'm going to assume that you mean stress on the tripod mount on the camera body when there's a heavy lens and you've attached the camera body to a tripod.

If this is the case, then the heaviest lens that I've had mounted on a tripod via the camera body is probably the FA*300/4.5 @ about 2 lbs. There was no problem, but I did not use this combo like this very often. I've got a tripod ring that fits to this lens, so if I'm going to mount it on a tripod, I usually use the ring.

A good accessory if you're going to use a heavy lens without a tripod ring extensively is this Manfrotto peice. It'll also take some of the stress off the lens mounts and the tubes.

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 293 Telephoto Lens Support | 293

I've also seen a number of DIY supports that people have built that look like they work.

As far as max weight that the lens mount will take, I've carried various Pentax bodies with 6+lb 300/2.8s almost daily without any lens mount wear issues, so just about anything a reasonably normal person could manage to carry (and afford) is probably no problem from this standpoint.

Scott