Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Which camera should I get?

Is the HDR in the K-X different from the other Pentax cameras? It sounds like a useful feature. Am debating between the k20, k200d and the k-x. I would like the weatherproofing, but also would like the capability to shoot video. This link shows the HDR on both the K20 and K200d. Do all three cameras have it?

Pentax adds HDR capabilities to their latest DSLRs

Last edited by makarov9mm; 10-26-2009 at 12:55 PM.
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

I don't think K20D/K200D have real HDR, do they? I'm totally sure you can bracket with them, and then combine frames on a computer.
Starting from K-7, and now in K-x, is a feature where the camera takes three pictures, and put them together into one, all in-camera.
If you like weatherproofing, but also would like to shoot video, why not get a k-7?
10-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has been discussed before.

The K20D/K200D do NOT have a true HDR feature. They have a pseudo/imitation HDR filter effect which gives results nothing like a true HDR. The filter works off a single JPEG whereas true HDR (as with Photomatix or the in-built HDR feature of the K-7) requires multiple exposures with a range of exposure levels to extract high and low register details.

The article you linked is misleading and the author misguided.

If true HDR is important to you in a camera, just get a K-7.
Otherwise you can do it in PP ensuring you bracket the scene and save them as JPEGs with unaltered exposure values.