Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

[Afraid] Can't get my M42 screw mount lens off my K-x!

OK, so I installed the adapter into my K-x just fine, or so I thought. I then put on one of two screw mount lenses I had. The first one went great. I removed it, and installed the next one. This one went on and gave me a click that the first one did not. This I believe to be correct since this time when the camera was turned on it prompted me to select the lens focal length, which did not happen on the first lens I tried.

Great so far! I go to remove the lens and the who adapter comes with it! I couldn't get the adapter off the lens, so of course I put it into the camera, locked it in nicely, and then tried to remove the lens, now I can't get anything off. The lens, and I believe the mount with it just do a 1/4 counter clockwise turn, but won't come off. I've put a lot of force behind it, and no nudge at all.

On an un-related note. I slid the little thing on the lens from manual to auto, and now on both lenses I can't get them back to manual.

I don't want to ruin my new camera, nor do I want this current lens as my permanent lens. Please help.

10-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's the genuine Pentax adapter, you can't remove the lens with the adapter in the body. You remove them together, then you can separate the lens and adapter by depressing a small spring-loaded clip on the adapter. Try that.
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
That is good to know.

Unfortunatly the pair are now once again in the camera body, and I can't get them out of the body for some reason.
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

d'oh M42. Can you post a picture of your adapter (maybe find one online)? which lens is it?

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-28-2009 at 10:08 PM.
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What's the lens? Some M42 lenses with electric contacts (e.g. Flektogon 35/2.4) may require you to depress the lens lock release button as you rotate the lens, just like you do when detaching PK lenses.

And it's the other way around. You can't remove the adapter from the body until you remove the lens from the adpater.
10-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, neither of the two commenters above are correct.
edit - except for RawheaD

First, there is no way you can remove an m42 lens *with* adapter attached. Aint gonna happen. You first unscrew the lens, then take off the adapter - it's locked inside the bayonet, and is locked in a different way than usual k-mount bayonets.
Then, there is no possibility of a ricoh pin in m42 lens.

Now, about your adapter. Is it genuine? Also, what is the lens? I had a Fujinon 55/1.8 that once got stuck, and problem sounds similar to yours. Mine just had a nudge in the base of the lens, that "clicked" into the lens lock (that usually has no effect on m42's since their bases are flat). Pressing the lens release while unscrewing the lens helped.
To get the adapter off, here's what you have to do. Either get a pen, or a relatively thin stick. The adapter has a small metal plate that locks it into place. Put the pen there and depress the plate, then push the adapter counter-clockwise. Should do it.
10-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is not genuine. It was one of the higher quality ones with the key, looks identical to the genuine one, compared to the cheap knockoffs.

Here is a video I just shot, if it helps.

YouTube - help!

10-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It is not genuine. It was one of the higher quality ones with the key, looks identical to the genuine one, compared to the cheap knockoffs.

Here is a video I just shot, if it helps.

YouTube - help!
Oh, sucks... I usually run out of patience and do brute force in these situations... My previous camera stayed alive
But wait a bit, maybe someone will come up with a solution. It's quite unlikely that you broke your camera.
10-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Never buy 3rd-party adapters. Never. Never. Never. The amount of money you save is insubstantial compared to the danger you put your equipment in.

I bought a Bower adapter early on, when I was foolish, and it got stuck. I ended up having to crank the whole lens and adapter around the opposite way, past the release clips, until it was free. I never want to live through that again
10-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, got the lens free! Whew. Gave it one last nudge and there it went.

But yep, now that adapter ring is stuck in there, which is why the keys exists. So I will just have to figure out how to properly use it.

Who would have thought it would be that hard to get an adapter right. Wow.
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice! now either remove that adapter ring's locking mechanism and drill a hole or buy a genuine adapter
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Finally got it all off! I guess that will be the last time I use that thing - Now that I know better. Off to buy the more spendy genuine adapter.

Thanks everyone for your help.