Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-X Versus K200D?

This may seem like a silly question and it's possible there won't be a lot of practical responses until more K-X's are in the field and we get more results back. But given the excellent reviews the K-X is getting for high ISO work, is it unreasonable to consider a K-X as a kind of inexpensive "upgrade" to the K200D?

I'm thinking about picking up a K-X body and having both the K-X and K200D until deciding some time next year which camera goes to make room for the K-7 in a two-DSLR kit.

Now, I understand if one gets rid of a K200D, one is giving up weatherproofing, the top LCD and the focus flash points in the viewfinder. All significant features. I'm not saying would be an easy, no-brainer decision.

But it appears the K-X offers (at the very least) substantially better high ISO quality, substantially improved burst mode, autofocus improvements and slightly higher resolution (this last item not so important). Those are all worth considering.

What's more, a K-X with an 18-250 lens might make an excellent alternative to a megazoom point-and-shoot camera -- even lighter and more compact than a K200D with that same lens.

And, at least in my case, I would only have to buy a camera body since I'm set for lenses. A K-7 might still be on the horizon but not until next year - assuming Pentax doesn't come out with something else in 2010 - like a K-7 with a Sony sensor or a direct replacement for the K200D with the weatherproofing and features of the K200D and all the upgrades of the K-X.

Or is my thinking all wrong?

10-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I'm thinking about picking up a K-X body and having both the K-X and K200D until deciding some time next year which camera goes to make room for the K-7 in a two-DSLR kit.
[...]Or is my thinking all wrong?
I have both a K-x
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/77254-new-k-x-owne...le-images.html
and a K200D and your thinking is pretty much exactly the same as mine. Both are good cameras and both are keepers for me, since they play useful but different roles.