Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

K7 vs KX pictures take 3 (RAW+Jpeg links available)

Okay,

Test conditions:
RAW+, 16-50mm DA* @ 50mm f/8, default settings for custom except for expanded ISO, AWB, Multi segmented metering, single focus point (center) on the green circular thing. Natural color balance on default settings. Jpeg set to highest quality for both. SR off, tripod, set on timer (2 sec)

Note the KX pictures look MUCH better this time (this might be because the previous KX wasn't working properly)

conclusions:

Make your own =) IQ is subjective.

but IMHO, my conclusions remain the same as before, although the KX pictures are now much better defined. the K7 has more definition overall (look at some of the boxes, the KX sometimes blurs some letters together, where on the K7 they are each clearly defined), it is much closer, but the K7 is still more defined. The KX is still clearly the high ISO champ (from ISO3200+) even on reduced size images.

Links here:
K7KXv3.rar - K7KXv3 - BADONGO
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Last edited by Daemos; 10-30-2009 at 12:44 AM.
10-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kudos for testing yet again, what did the store owners think?

I thought the old K-x pics looked really bad, pretty much swayed me to regretting ordering the K-x. But we'll see now! downloading now
10-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Kudos for testing yet again, what did the store owners think?

downloading now
well every time I've went to test I went to a different store.

So I hope they didn't mind.

I never got to ask their opinion on the cameras.
10-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looking at 100 ISO DNG's now in lightroom. Wow their compare function is real useful for different size images, although I am sure its not the most reliable way of comparing. Actually, on the K-x DNG, I am actually getting what looks like JPEG artifacting in this method, on the bottom left where the tan box says Binoculars.

K-x looks wayyyy better than it used to, thank goodness.

K-7 looks better on the small text like the Canon board. Also, subtle detail looks better captured on the K-7 especially the texture on the wall, but as noted above I am having artifacts on my K-x and I don't know why. K-x appears to have a bit more microcontrast in RAW in some places, but washed out in others. Places other than that small text where resolution comes to play, it looks neck and neck. Where I actually like the K-x: sony cybershot top right (camera not box)

The colors, to me, look better on the K-x. The ad in the center, at the top right, to the left of the Nikon logo, the woman quite red on the K-7, not that these things can't be fixed in PP

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-29-2009 at 08:41 PM.
10-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So for some reason Lightroom is only using the JPEG standard preview for the K-x on my computer when in compare mode or even loupe mode at 3:1. When I go to develop, the artifacts go away, but back to loupe, and it goes back. How can I fix that?

From looking at some places in the develop module for the K-x, the K-7 still has a bit more detail, but the K-x is pretty close with that detail and just as sharp (though still lagging resolution wise as expected). Though it is hard to compare as it takes several seconds to load the real non-jpeg preview until someone tells me how to fix this!

Regardless, now I am very confident and excited for my K-x again.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-29-2009 at 08:41 PM.
10-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Try using Lightroom Beta 3. Although I haven't used it much.

As far as the colors are concerned. both are off, but not much so. this is easily adjustable though.

I would compare the ISO 200 DNG since both cameras do that ISO natively.
10-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Eruditass: You wouldn't happen to have a screen shot of the artifacts do you? I'd like to see if I can re-create the problem.
10-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
conclusion that we could draw here is that the k-x resolution gets better at smaller aperture settings, let's say at f8 is the sharpness threshold or f11. I haven't really shot tested the k-x slower than f5.6. I only tried it from around 2.8-5.6 on the DA40. I guess the weak point of the k-x is sharpness on the wider openings. for those who have the k-x, shoot at f/8 if your after sharpness. though it's kind of a bummer that you can't have that same sharpness at wide open. otherwise, it would had been great. that's the criticism that I have for the k-x. other than that, it's a great camera for lowlights. I think the Xsi and D5000 are so screwed at the entry-level category.

10-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
conclusion that we could draw here is that the k-x resolution gets better at smaller aperture settings, let's say at f8 is the sharpness threshold or f11. I haven't really shot tested the k-x slower than f5.6. I only tried it from around 2.8-5.6 on the DA40. I guess the weak point of the k-x is sharpness on the wider openings. for those who have the k-x, shoot at f/8 if your after sharpness. though it's kind of a bummer that you can't have that same sharpness at wide open. otherwise, it would had been great. that's the criticism that I have for the k-x. other than that, it's a great camera for lowlights. I think the Xsi and D5000 are so screwed at the entry-level category.
agreed. The KX is the #1 in the class
10-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really do not understand why you say the kx becomes softer at wider apertures. Does it affect how sensor behaves.
(i know loss of resolution due to wide appertures, just asking why same is not true for any other cam, what way you think k-x is different than others).
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #11

I don't think that's a good conclusion to draw. I don't see how could aperture have impact on sensor "softness".
10-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
I don't think that's a good conclusion to draw. I don't see how could aperture have impact on sensor "softness".
exactly my thinking.
10-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #13

Original Poster
I think possibly the KX used in the previous test was not functioning correctly. Which may of caused some issues.

I cannot be 100% certain as I did not go back to that particular store =) The lens' sweet spot is at f/5.6.

I am really digging the Kx as good cam in the price. I'd STILL rather have the K7 just because higher detail, and better feature set (viewfinder, ease of access to some functions, top LCD, weather sealing) mean much more to me. The shutter or mirror action of the KX is REALLY loud compared to the K7, it's quite surprising.

The Kx though if my gf wants one, I'd get one for her =D
10-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
I really do not understand why you say the kx becomes softer at wider apertures. Does it affect how sensor behaves.
(i know loss of resolution due to wide appertures, just asking why same is not true for any other cam, what way you think k-x is different than others).

I think you are right. I was only basing this from the OP's findings as he mentioned that the images were much better at f/8. though visible softness still exist on some parts of the image.

as far as resolution at different apertures are concerned, I was saying that the detail softness was more obvious at wide open as compared to closing down, if I were going to base it on the OP's finding. btw, I didn't say that the details became better at lower apertures. sorry for any misunderstanding.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-30-2009 at 12:57 AM.
10-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Or that the K-x missed critical focus (hence the decreasing sharpness with aperture)?