Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x body only?

I read on a thread here that Pentax "body-only" cameras are grey market. Is that true? Seems strange. I see a K-7 body only being sold on Amazon. I didn't think Amazon sold grey-market stuff.

I'm not interested at all in the 18-55 zoom. If I bought the kit, do you think I could get $50 for it?

Is anyone selling the K-x body-only?

10-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone just sold the kit lens for $50 in the marketplace.

Adorama sells body only.

I couldn't wait for the white body-only, so hopefully someone will buy my white 18-55mm!

Someone else posted more information about the "grey market" term and what it really means, hopefully they will chime in or point you in the right direction
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I bought the body only from Adorama, it has a warranty card in the box and barcode Skus on the side of the box - regardless of grey market pentax has a 1 year int'l warranty anyway - if Adorama really is breaking up kits (which they just might be doing as they have the DA L lenses on their site) and Pentax has a problem with it - seeing as they are a major US distributor and one of the first sellers to receive product (not to mention advertising body-only for several weeks before the product was actually available), I doubt Pentax would have allowed it in the first place, otherwise it appears they look at it as a non-issue.
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, cool.

Although if the kit lenses are selling for $50 in the marketplace, seems it doesn't matter much either way. I get free shipping from Amazon and they have the kit for $644, so I might be better off getting the kit and trying to sell the lens anyhow. Could save me $10.

10-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Okay, cool.

Although if the kit lenses are selling for $50 in the marketplace, seems it doesn't matter much either way. I get free shipping from Amazon and they have the kit for $644, so I might be better off getting the kit and trying to sell the lens anyhow. Could save me $10.
Don't forget bing cashback, you can buy on ebay and save 8%, that is $48 off a $600 body only! Granted you may (seems to be random) have to wait 60 days to get the $48 cashback, but if you already have other lenses I think this is a smart route. You're still buying from adorama, just through their ebay listings - same retailer otherwise.

edit: PM me if you want to know about the bing/microsoft cashback.

Last edit! for the DA L version I don't think you'd get any more than $50 shipped - to knock off $7-8 dollars from that, take another $2 for paypal fees and you're down to alittle loss. Unless you know you want the kit lens, its not worth buying IMO!
10-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The kit lens doesn't seem so bad optically though - as some of the K-x reviewers have noted, and judging by my own experience of its performance. It just seems to be the 18-55 AL II in a lighter shell.

If I already had a 18-55 kit lens and it was an older model, I am not sure I would be in a rush to get rid of the DAL.
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I generally don't like working with zooms at all, but I guess for an extra $50 it might not hurt to have one in that range especially if it performs well.
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I read on a thread here that Pentax "body-only" cameras are grey market. Is that true? Seems strange. I see a K-7 body only being sold on Amazon. I didn't think Amazon sold grey-market stuff.

I'm not interested at all in the 18-55 zoom. If I bought the kit, do you think I could get $50 for it?

Is anyone selling the K-x body-only?
The K-7 was originally sold body-only. I think a kit is available now with the 18-55WR.

The K-x was originally sold only as a kit (three kits available). Pentax USA has not yet released an official body-only version.

However, I wouldn't worry about the "grey market" scare, since as stated it comes with a warranty and a bar code.

10-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The kit lens doesn't seem so bad optically though - as some of the K-x reviewers have noted, and judging by my own experience of its performance. It just seems to be the 18-55 AL II in a lighter shell.

If I already had a 18-55 kit lens and it was an older model, I am not sure I would be in a rush to get rid of the DAL.
I just transfered the hood of my old 18-55 kit (version I) to the 18-55 DAL,
looks a lot better that way.

It is really a nice light kit lens, it feels as sturdy as the normal version when it's mounted.

But when you mount it you miss the solid feel of metal on metal.
10-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's a recent review of the 18-55 DA II. If the DAL performs similarly, which I think it does (I also have both the DAL and the DA II) it is a good deal for $50.

Pentax smc DA 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

The DAL will go out with me onto the street. As a $50 lens I will be less worried about putting it into harms way than I might normally. (And at $50 - that's less than the cost of a good UV filter)!
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
...you miss the solid feel of metal on metal.
You havent seen the documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil by any chance, have you? (whether you like the music or not, it is a spectacular, moving doc - look it up! I think it just came out on DVD, they were on Conan Obrien about a month ago when it was released...here is the song (your Metal on Metal reference triggered my post, haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyq0ubl1cKg
11-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Someone else posted more information about the "grey market" term and what it really means, hopefully they will chime in or point you in the right direction
Maybe that was me??

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any of our products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the exact same same warranty as the USA warranted products carry, for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further queries regarding any aspect of Adorama Camera, or AdoramaPix, please do not hesitate to contact me directly:

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera