Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #1

How can I tell how many pics have been shot on my Pentax istD?

Hello out there!
Does anyone know how I can find out how many pics have been shot with my Pentax ist D? Does it have a shutter counter? I can't seem to find it.
Thanks for your help!
Christy

06-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure (at least on my DL), the pictures start at 1000 and accrue digits as you take pictures. So if you next picture is at 3000, I think (no expert here) that if you started at 1k, you took 2k pictures.

I'm stabbing in the dark here...I think that's right.
06-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you download the images using a card reader, look at the file name, they start IMPG0001, and count up.

I am not sure if the counter can be reset, and have not gotten to 9999 yet on mine to know what happens
06-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On my DS, if you format the card you lose that information. And it changes from card to card.

06-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trail-Seeker Quote
Hello out there!
Does anyone know how I can find out how many pics have been shot with my Pentax ist D? Does it have a shutter counter? I can't seem to find it.
My guess is that there is a way for Pentax to see this. To my knowledge noone ever posted about how it can be done - so my guess is that you never can tell the exact number of clicks of your camera.
06-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
On my DS, if you format the card you lose that information. And it changes from card to card.
You can check your manual.... In the camera setup you can choose to have the picture numbers reset for every time you format the card, or you can choose to let the camera keep the counting rolling.
06-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the reason we have different answers here is there are two modes of operation. My two cameras are in "SerialNo' Mode, the K100D is in the 4000s and the K110D in the 500s even if I swap cards. This is retyped from the K100D manual:

SerialNo

The file number for the most recently captured image is placed in memory and the file number will remain continuous after inserting the new SD Memory Card.

Reset

Every time a new SD Memory Card is inserted the file number is the smallest number. When an SD memory card with stored images is inserted, numbering continues from the last stored number.

Going back to the original question if the camera has always been in "SerialNo" mode and never lost its mind then the filename contains the number of pics shot.