Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
Inactive Account

In one area the K100D Super (and the earlier 6MP cameras) outshines all later models, including the K10D. Infrared shooting with the Hoya R72 filter. In bright sunshine, you can shoot at f11 or f8 at about 1/4-1/2 sec. A K10D requires FOUR MORE STOPS!!!

I'm keeping mine, even though I also have a K200D (and might get others later).

Iskandar

11-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Iskandar Taib Quote
In one area the K100D Super (and the earlier 6MP cameras) outshines all later models, including the K10D. Infrared shooting with the Hoya R72 filter. In bright sunshine, you can shoot at f11 or f8 at about 1/4-1/2 sec. A K10D requires FOUR MORE STOPS!!!
Iskandar
My K110D with internal filter removed has you beat. I can take daytime IR exposures at 1/1000 or faster. It is a about a hundred times faster than my unmodified K100D. Now that a K110D is so low in price it is worthwhile buying one in the Marketplace and getting it modified. Don't go my route and do it yourself!

I suggest the K110D since not having Shake Reduction makes filter removal easier.

Caveat: A filterless camera will be VERY red with a Hoya R72. If you like pseudo color Infrared photography you may find color balance to be difficult. If you display your IR in B&W then you will be happy.
11-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #18

My first post here

I did a lot of research prior to delving into the world of DSLR photography. As I don't do things by half measures, in one fell swoop (and much to my wife's annoyance) I bought a K10D, DA* 16-50 & 50-135, three FGZs, an enthusiast portrait studio Strobist gear and an entire Honl set. I explained to my wife that that this was to accompany my 50/1.4 FA I had lying around...

Anyway I received a K100DS for free as part of the purchase deal, and it remained unused as a backup camera until broke my K10D a few months ago. After using the '100, much to my thrill its colour rendition (in the 'bright' setting) is more to my liking than the '10, and it appreciably exceeded the '10 in low light. ISO1600 pics were by and large keepers, while the '10 struggled comparatively with ISO800 and above. So the K100DS, despite its shortcomings covered in previous posts, will be a keeper for me. I've looked at both the K20D and the K7 as replacements of the K10D.

Funny thing is, if the K10D was the only DSLR I knew, then it would be a no brainer as a decision. But after getting to appreciate the niceties of the K100DS, I'm a bit hesitant. Sure, handling is much better on the new bodies, but that there is that little something about this camera that is missing in the 10, 20 and 7. Perhaps it's the subtleties between the Sony and Samsung derived sensors?

Well, now for the wait for the K7's successor.
11-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I don't own a K100D, I can't help but notice that this is one more thread where users are commenting on the higher quality images from camera with a 6 megapixel sensor. Recently Fuji compared their new P&S F200E to the old F31 as matching the IQ of that camera, also a 5 or 6 megapixel camera, in a roundabout way admitting that they screwed up putting higher megapixel sensors in their cameras. While it's always tempting to go run out buy the new body, I don't feel that my own decision to hold on to my K10D for at least 5 years or unless it breaks beyond reasonable repair, is a bad one. I'm glad you guys are happy with your K100's.

11-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My very first Pentax and digital SLR camera.
Really love it specially with low light performance.
Am actually torn as to whether to upgrade or not..I'm more leaning into not.
I'm glad this is my first digital SLR.
I've always read great reviews about it and not a lot of people want to let it go when they upgrade.
It is probably only now that you will see a lot of them getting resold since the K-x offers high ISO performance..so, if you anybody wants to get a great DSLR, now is the time to get these!
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Pixel for pixel the 100D sensor is better but it ends there, the 10D is so much faster than glacial 100D, i always felt hampered by the 100D, shoot RAW and you can bake bread before the camera is ready to use again.

In the end I loatheed it and cannot imagine going back to such a dinosaur when the 20D felels light years better in terms of speed, handling, speed .... and handling.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
Long time observer, first-time poster - I also maintain the same ID on DPR. This is just an introductory post, so please don't waste your time reading the rant

I sold my K10D some time back thinking I would buy K7 when the prices go down a little. In the meanwhile, I wanted a cheap camera to shoot occasionally and also to teach. So went and bought a K100D Super from CraigsList, for what I think is bargain. Anyways, couple of things I noticed:

- Pictures I am taking with my Tamron 28-75 lens is coming out sharper. I always thought K10D had some focusing issues, but I could never prove it as it was never consistent.

- The shutter noise on K100DS is much louder than K10D - anyone notice that?
- The Av dial seems to be in an odd place - since K10D was bigger, I can mis-dial easily
- I took a long exposure shot (with NR on and off) of a building, and I noticed the night sky had orangish grain to it. Could it be because I forgot to put the eyepiece into the viewfinder?

But other than that, what I considered a downgrade, is not a downgrade at all. I am loving this camera, and will probably keep it even after I buy my K7. Also, I might just delay K7 until the holiday season.

Hope to contribute as I go along...
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Forum Member

Re speed & handling, guess it all depends on how you like to use your camera. Having come from a film PZ1p with it's 1/8000 shutter, fast central autofocus, 1/250 flash, hyper program & two dials - I've been surprised to find that the K100d Super still fits my shooting pace just fine, even with bird photography - but as always YMMV. Edit - One positive factor re speed is most likely the fact that I always leave the Super on single point autofocus & recompose as desired.

Last edited by bobore; 11-18-2009 at 10:42 AM.
11-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The k100d is many times faster than any film camera I've ever had. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective.

11-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #24

...and faster than P&S/Superzooms Steve. I was used to the three seconds it took to write a RAW file. For me, a lower price combined with SDM capability and well regarded 6MP sensor sealed the decision to get a K100D Super over the K10D or K200D.
11-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #25
Forum Member

Last week, I did exactly what the OP did-- sold my K10D in order to get a smaller body, a K100DS, and to save some money. Lo and behold, I find that I've gotten a better camera for what I like to do, which is low-light photography. Much better. The lack of noise at 1600ISO is astonishing. I miss the two control dials with my K10 somewhat, as well as operating speed and better auto ISO control... well, much better, really... but the high ISO images have definitely moved a couple of steps forward. Best downgrade I ever did, too. I'll be holding on to this one for a long time.
11-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drec Quote
Last week, I did exactly what the OP did-- sold my K10D in order to get a smaller body, a K100DS, and to save some money. Lo and behold, I find that I've gotten a better camera for what I like to do, which is low-light photography. Much better. The lack of noise at 1600ISO is astonishing. I miss the two control dials with my K10 somewhat, as well as operating speed and better auto ISO control... well, much better, really... but the high ISO images have definitely moved a couple of steps forward. Best downgrade I ever did, too. I'll be holding on to this one for a long time.
Have you upsampled the 100D images to 10mp or downsampled the 10D to 6MP?

If you do this you will find little to no difference, 100% views ar emisleading.
11-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You are not the only one who got burned with K10D. For month Pentax was selling cameras that had malfunctioning AF module without issuing recall. No wonder it felt like upgrade when you downgraded to the previous model, you finally got camera that was actually focusing on your subject, not behind it. I too had both of these cameras at that time, and I had the same issues.
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #28
Forum Member

The K100DS was the one camera i have where photos look so much better on the monitor than it did on that lacklustre 2.5"LCD.

RAW sizes are also more manageable due to its 6MP reso.

If only the mirror slap sounded more err....pro..
12-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
My first post here

I did a lot of research prior to delving into the world of DSLR photography. As I don't do things by half measures, in one fell swoop (and much to my wife's annoyance) I bought a K10D, DA* 16-50 & 50-135, three FGZs, an enthusiast portrait studio Strobist gear and an entire Honl set. I explained to my wife that that this was to accompany my 50/1.4 FA I had lying around...

Anyway I received a K100DS for free as part of the purchase deal, and it remained unused as a backup camera until broke my K10D a few months ago. After using the '100, much to my thrill its colour rendition (in the 'bright' setting) is more to my liking than the '10, and it appreciably exceeded the '10 in low light. ISO1600 pics were by and large keepers, while the '10 struggled comparatively with ISO800 and above. So the K100DS, despite its shortcomings covered in previous posts, will be a keeper for me. I've looked at both the K20D and the K7 as replacements of the K10D.

Funny thing is, if the K10D was the only DSLR I knew, then it would be a no brainer as a decision. But after getting to appreciate the niceties of the K100DS, I'm a bit hesitant. Sure, handling is much better on the new bodies, but that there is that little something about this camera that is missing in the 10, 20 and 7. Perhaps it's the subtleties between the Sony and Samsung derived sensors?

Well, now for the wait for the K7's successor.
Ooookay, bit the bullet and bought a K20D, the replacement for my broken K10D. As nice as the IQ on the K100DS is, I really missed the twin e-dials and the Green Button. Flipping through menus for something as simple as ISO just got plain annoying.

I compared both the K7 and the K20D and agonised between the two. For my purposes the K20D was a winner. It was priced at nearly what I would've paid for the K100DS new, but regardless of which, I would still have chosen the 20.

Now the K100DS is my travel camera and backup (with my new Tammy 17-50), while the K20D with the DA* lenses is my workhorse.

Cheers,
M

PS: While the 20 resolves much more detail, there is still that subtle colour rendition by the 100 that I really appreciate.

PPS: Pentax, why oh why don't you release the Tokina 11-16 as a DA*!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mohawk; 12-17-2009 at 02:18 AM.