Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

yet another k- sample thread.

Took camera out today for general shooting and testing.
Here in this thread i will be adding photos from k-x, some low isos and some of those i liked.

Here are few things:

1. My batteries were nimh. Took roughly 250 shots so far no battery problems, it might give up any time though.

2. sun was out so light was very harsh.

There were concerns over k-x being less sharp than k7 at low isos so first image shall deal with that issue.

So photo under consideration
shutter 1/1600
f8 on 28mm M 2.8 lense.
iso 200.
sharpening set to minimum.

first resized to 1000 pix version (sorry can not upload fulsize because flikr resizes it).

Here is 100% crop of center.
original.

here is same with 100 0.9 sharpening.

Here is off center crop:

100% crop original

same crop with 100 0.9 sharpening:

my conclusion, as far as resolution and sharpness at base level is concerned, there is nothing to worry about. The cam is as sharp as others.

And as falk mentioned it seems it has very weak AA filter, i hope he is right. From photo it seems he is right.

Thanks for looking, if possible i will add more photos from today.

10-31-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
Took camera out today for general shooting and testing.
These look good under that light. Thanks for taking the time to post K-x samples. Look forward to seeing more.

Since you mention flickr, I also note that currently flickr is showing about 950 images when you search on Pentax K-x. In the coming weeks the pool of public K-x sample shots on flickr will probably increase dramatically, which will be good for people wanting to form a view on that camera.
10-31-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
These look good under that light. Thanks for taking the time to post K-x samples. Look forward to seeing more.

Since you mention flickr, I also note that currently flickr is showing about 950 images when you search on Pentax K-x. In the coming weeks the pool of public K-x sample shots on flickr will probably increase dramatically, which will be good for people wanting to form a view on that camera.
about flickr the problem that i think is that i can not post full size images for 12 mp cam. If i need to do it, i probably need to update my membership. Slight prob but not too big.

Thinking as layman thinking of buying a cam, i feel that such person is interested in seeing images at hundred % size. Image may not be very creative but shall give the idea to him.

This is why i decided to post some crops with and without sharpening.
I do not have other cams so i can not compare but seeing 100% crops i think every person can make decisions as to whether he really wants this or not.

About flickr though, if full size images at various isos increases this would be good help i think.
10-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here are few i liked from the day out.

City is Nara japan.

my fav from that day

kasuga shrine

Buying cam is easy part, making good photos with it is real difficult thing to do.
These are ordinary but hopefully i will improve in future as i plan to spend time learning photography in 2010. Finally i have decided to really put some effort to learn this thing.

10-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

These look great. One or two seem a bit under-exposed but otherwise excellent K-x samples. What lens was used?
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some more sample K-x pics

Got out today with the K-x - the more I use it, the more I like it. These are all with the kit lens.

11-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
Got out today with the K-x - the more I use it, the more I like it. These are all with the kit lens.
These look great. The colours and sharpness are very nice.

I found the kit lens to be quite suprisingly good, in my own shots. Your pictures confirm that impression.
11-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These look great. One or two seem a bit under-exposed but otherwise excellent K-x samples. What lens was used?

first picture of baby was with 135 f2.5 wide open.
Most of the pictures i think are with kit lense because i tried to use it as much as possible. But because i carried fa 50mm f1.4 too, that might be mixed up between.

overall kx is very good buy. I feel this was very good move by pentax.

11-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These look great. The colours and sharpness are very nice.

I found the kit lens to be quite suprisingly good, in my own shots. Your pictures confirm that impression.
kit lense is indeed very good. For more 90% of needs it is sufficient.
11-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote

you pictures are very good.
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you zxaar. I like yours as well. Your fav is my fav also. A wonderful portrait.