Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Peculiar problem

Hi

I have been facing a peculiar problem. Some of my shots in green mode do not register details such as white balance, capture mode, lens name, RAW or JPEG, quality, saturation, sharpness, contrast, autofocus mode, autofocus area, drive mode, flash mode, bracket, multiexposure, shake reduction,......and for some strange reason.....in green mode, it is picking up this combination...

for a shot at Focal length : 18mm

aperture : 6.7
shutter sp : 1/250
ISO 100.

Needless to say the shot is funny. What might I have done wrong? Is it normal for a cam to decide on this combination....because I think the aperture should have been 4......which is what the DA 18-55 is capable of at 18mm? Am I missing something? The shot was a landscape shot, in daylight,

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards

Last edited by Chilichoco; 06-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.
06-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Are you saying that the EXIF info is missing for WB, etc.... ? I don't think Sharpness/Contrast is stored in the EXIF. Also in the Green mode, you might not be able to adjust WB, Sharpness, Contrast.

As for f/6.7, 1/250, ISO100, did the shot look ok? That's all that matters. I've never used green mode, I don't even think you can use EV compensation in green mode.

Those settings sound ok for me in daylight. As for why the camera didn't chose f/4 (or even f/3.5), most lenses perform their best stopped down a bit, so unless you NEED f/3.5 or f/4, you're probably better off with a smaller aperture.

Bottom line, get out of the green mode!
06-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Are you saying that the EXIF info is missing for WB, etc.... ? I don't think Sharpness/Contrast is stored in the EXIF. Also in the Green mode, you might not be able to adjust WB, Sharpness, Contrast.
Not sure about the K10D, but for the K100D, Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness *are* all stored in the EXIF.
06-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chilichoco Quote
for a shot at Focal length : 18mm

aperture : 6.7
shutter sp : 1/250
ISO 100.
Reading your post it seems as you are expecting the camera to choose to use the lens wide open. I see no reason for that. In my opinion the camera does the right thing if it stops the lens down a bit as long as the shutter time is kept short.
What program line have you choosen for the camera in automatic mode? Is it MTF or Normal?

For your other problem with the EXIF values not getting registered I have no idea what the problem may be. What software do you use for checking the EXIF values?

06-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #5

As someone else has already said, I am not sure what you are expecting from Auto (Green Mode).

It will choose what it thinks is a reasonable combination of shutter speed and aperture for the current photo conditions - the settings you mention in your post sound normal to me, without seeing the resultant photo, that is.

If you want more control over the settings then you should use one of the other semi-auto modes or manual.

Here is an example of the EXIF data from my K10D using an auto mode, as shown in Adobe Bridge, if it helps -

Attachment 3191

Last edited by chrisman; 06-20-2008 at 12:42 AM.
06-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I am expecting the camera to stay at F/4 at 18mm in green mode. It is randomly picking up bigger apertures from 6.7 to 9.5 throughout the focal length...and NEVER 4......so I was just wondering if this is okay....because logically, the larger the aperture opening the faster the shutter speed, the better hand held result. I thought the camera would pick up the lowest aperture available at a particular focal length. Which does not happen as it seems.

The picture is not ok. So I learn it is best not to depend on green mode.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I do not know about the 'programme line' in automatic mode. Could you tell what's the difference in the 2 choices?

The green mode does have the data stored. Some of my shots do not have it. In the green mode, it does register the WB as well. Any idea why some may not register the details? I use the Pentax Silkypix software for viewing the data.

Thanks and best regards
06-03-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, once the shutter speed goes so high I think the camera would stop down, assuming 1/250 is still a good hand holding shutter speed.

If you really want the aperture to remain at f/4, simply put it in aperture priority (Av) and it still meters automatically, and you can apply exposure compensation to adjust the exposure if necessary.
06-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chilichoco Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I am expecting the camera to stay at F/4 at 18mm in green mode. It is randomly picking up bigger apertures from 6.7 to 9.5 throughout the focal length...and NEVER 4......so I was just wondering if this is okay....because logically, the larger the aperture opening the faster the shutter speed, the better hand held result. I thought the camera would pick up the lowest aperture available at a particular focal length. Which does not happen as it seems.

The picture is not ok. So I learn it is best not to depend on green mode.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I do not know about the 'programme line' in automatic mode. Could you tell what's the difference in the 2 choices?

The green mode does have the data stored. Some of my shots do not have it. In the green mode, it does register the WB as well. Any idea why some may not register the details? I use the Pentax Silkypix software for viewing the data.
Hi

Any lack of knowledge should be excused, how do we learn if not asking and trying?

There really is no reason to expect the camera to choose widest possible aperture. It seems as the green mode safely keeps the shutter speed short and at the same time stops the lens down. I could also easily imagine that the camera would have choosen f/9.5 and 1/125 and I wouldn't had considered that strange or wrong.

When you want a certain aperture or a certain shutter time, or a certain ISO valu to be used you have to tell the camera so - but by now that becomes nagging.... As egordon nailed it in the first reply (I should have read it more varefully before replying, sorry); get out of green mode if you are serious.

Now; what is it with your picture that is not good? Just repeating the picture is bad doesn't help us trying to help you. Post the picture and let us know what you tried to achieve and get some constructive replies.

For the EXIF data... "The green mode does have the data stored. Some of my shots do not have it." puzzled me a bit. Maybe you should tell us what data that is missing in some pictures and not in other pictures? All you tell us now implies you have a camera that is faulty but I think there is some explanation to this with more background information.

The MTF program line versus the NORMAL program line can give you different aperture/shutter time values as the MTF program line reads the MTF data for your lens from a chip in it, and then tries to choose an aperture that gives good resolution. It isn't very clearly explained in the manual. From reports I have read it seems to work. Maybe not perfect nut anyway. It's not an option I use as I think I know my lenses and also what I want to get (a lot of DOF or little DOF or...) should be up to me and not any automatic mode at all.

regards,

06-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jonas, in my first post I said specifically what information is lacking in the exif data of some shots shot in green mode.

The picture is much too dark ,than it should've been. Posting will only split opinion...some will say it's ok....and I will say it is not...so let's just leave it at that I do not like it...it's too dark...and that is simply because the aperture was way up. And now I know this is what will happen if you ask your camera to pick up settings for you.

Thanks for the info on MTF. I'll try it.

Thanks and Best Regards