Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Regarding the desire for a bright viewfinder, I'll be the one contrarian here and say that after using my K200D for a year and a half, and my D40x for two and a half years, I don't like either viewfinder - the crop factor really impacts for me the pleasure of using the cameras. Moving to a crop-factor DSLR, I'd suggest sticking with fast primes for manual focusing or consider using modern AF lenses such as the DA lenses in AF mode. I've found placing the range of DOF for shallow DOF shots to be quite difficult compared to when I'm shooting my simple K1000. Makes me want to swap the K1000 for a 645 kit.

11-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The one thing I like about the K10D/K20D is the exposure bracketing button. Hold the button down and turn the front dial to select either 1, 3 or 5 exposures, turn the rear dial to select the compensation range. Brilliant interface, quick and easy. I absolutely love the navigation through the features and settings on my K10D, easily the most intuitive I have used.

IIRC, the K7 does not have the dedicated bracketing button.
11-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditto what sebberry says about the exposure bracketing and general interface. Easily the most intutive I have used too.
I just upgraded from a K200 to a k20 and while the former viewfinder was usable (with an aftermarket screen) the k20 is noticably brighter and more accurate. ASAP, i'm getting a focussingscreen.com Nikon K3 screen for my K20; I'm using a cheap split image screen now.
The k20D does everything well and is the deal right now. The CMOS sensor is much better than that of the K10/K200 IMO. That said the K200 is a very capable cam for typical use and I assume the K10 is too.
As far as build quality, both the K200 and K20 are very solid and durable. I guess the K7 is even more stout, if you've got the $$. I used a Nikon D700 recently and it was nice, but felt fragile comparatively (great IQ!). The only thing digital that exceeds Pentax so far for me are the EOS MK1* which is a beast of a cam.
i think you're on the right track. If you can afford a K20, I highly recommend it for the better sensor.

hth & GL
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The K-x bundle with DA 18-55, DA 55-300 are selling at Amazon for $750. That's what I would recommend since it has more features that you may want to use (movie, HDR, 4.7 fps).

11-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
So I think I'm fairly sold on the K10D, but from what I read, the only consistent complaint I saw was the camera's autofocus and high noise above 500 iso.

Can someone validate this for me? Just how bad is the noise?

Does the image stabilization interfere with panning shots? (read that the 110d does this) Can the Image Stablilization be turned off?

In regards to the autofocus problems in low light..again how bad..really?

Also in manual mode with an auto lens..I am assuming the front wheel controls apeture and the back wheel is the shutter? I loved this feature on a Nikon D200 I used. I found it a very natural place place to put these controls... it wasn't too big a jump from my film cameras so if this is true with the K10D thats a real plus for me.

Bear in mind that I want a semi-pro/pro camera for a decent price and this one seems to have the best bang for the buck for what I want in a camera. I am not at all interested in scene modes or anything like that..just a solid camera that isn't going to put me in a homeless shelter. I can barely afford to develop film as it is

Really appreciate all the help so far. I just joined this forum and I must say I am really happy that I did so!
You can see noise samples on my Flickr site - there is a photo taken of a fire in my neighbourhood. As long as the exposure is towards the generous side, I personally find it really low compared to 1600 ISO on film. You opinion might vary.
11-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
So I think I'm fairly sold on the K10D, but from what I read, the only consistent complaint I saw was the camera's autofocus and high noise above 500 iso.
Can someone validate this for me? Just how bad is the noise?

Does the image stabilization interfere with panning shots? (read that the 110d does this) Can the Image Stablilization be turned off?

In regards to the autofocus problems in low light..again how bad..really?

Also in manual mode with an auto lens..I am assuming the front wheel controls apeture and the back wheel is the shutter? I loved this feature on a Nikon D200 I used. I found it a very natural place place to put these controls... it wasn't too big a jump from my film cameras so if this is true with the K10D thats a real plus for me.

Bear in mind that I want a semi-pro/pro camera for a decent price and this one seems to have the best bang for the buck for what I want in a camera. I am not at all interested in scene modes or anything like that..just a solid camera that isn't going to put me in a homeless shelter. I can barely afford to develop film as it is

Really appreciate all the help so far. I just joined this forum and I must say I am really happy that I did so!
Here are some noise samples

Name:  noise 026.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  60.7 KB
At iso 400
Name:  noise 027.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  63.3 KB
At iso 800
Name:  noise 028.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  62.7 KB
At iso 1600

Panning can cause the IS to compensate vertically; it can be turned off.

Pentax DSLR's historcally have trouble focusing in low light. The K7, K2000, and Kx may have improverd AF systems, don't really know.
Mine sometimes wants to HUNT in low light depending on how LOW the light. Mine did fairly of at a wedding recently; at the reception hall, as the light got lower to compenste for the first dance for example, mine got really bad. I had to switch to MF. How bad is up to you; it depends on the light. Mine does fairly well in rooms light with tungsten lighting if the light comes from the ceiling.

On mine, in manual mode the front wheel controlls the shutter and the rear wheel controlls the apeture.
You can change that setting in other modes (Av, Tv, P, and Sv) but not manual. (At least on mine).

The K10D is a feature rich camera that should suit most if not all of your needs and within the price range you specified? (best bang for your buck)? What is your spending limit? Finding one new? I don't know. There are plenty of used ones out there however (I bought mine used). The K20D is a substantial upgrade with a 14 MP CMOS sensor (opposed to the 10MP CCD sensor on the K10D), that includes live view and the ability to shoot at a higher ISO.
Other than that it has all of the features of the K10D and you may have a better chance of getting one new.

Last edited by res3567; 11-03-2009 at 01:22 PM.
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
The K-x bundle with DA 18-55, DA 55-300 are selling at Amazon for $750. That's what I would recommend since it has more features that you may want to use (movie, HDR, 4.7 fps).
Newegg has body + 2 zoom lens package for $649 + shipping. Fab deal.