Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
k100d bricked - Please advice!!

Hi,

I recently got a used Pentax K100d (my first DSLR). The camera is quite dramatic with the batteries. Sometimes it says the batteries are depleted, while other full. Anyway, despite that I proceeded to update the firmware from 1.00 to 1.02. As soon as the update process started, it stated "Updating 1/2" and then it must have thought the batteries are depleted again and turned off by itself (not even a word of warning--which I guess would be useless at that point anyway). After this, it does not turn on at all. I replaced the batteries with brand new batteries and still it will not turn on.

What can I do? Is there a way to hard reset the camera? I bought it used for $175 (including the kit lens) so I would hate to have to send it in for repair as it probably would cost me as much if not more.

I was having such great joy to finally having a Pentax DSLR, but now ....

Thanks everyone in advance.

10-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When it hangs like that you have no other options as it was updating when the batteries lost all power.

What type of batteries were you using anyway? Where they fully charged? There is a readme file that has a warning to ensure batteries are fully charged before doing the update.
10-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@felixhk - I was using a fully charged rechargeable Duracell NiMH. They are nothing fancy but was able to let me take about 200 pics and clean my sensor more times than I would like to admit. Of course I recharged them prior to do the update. I wonder if the local camera store could reflash the firmware.
11-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #4

not sure if you mean it wont power on as normal or wont let you enter the flash mode so..

Try flashing it again. It may let you enter the upgrade mode if the bootloader portion of the firmware got written.

Too bad it doesnt have a jtag port..

11-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K100D has known issues with batteries, there are many threads about this. External power is advised when updating firmware since loss of power during update is sometimes fatal. I gave up on NiMH long ago and have been happy with Eneloops.

Camera companies could avoid these issues by having two banks of firmware memory but they don't go to the slight additional expense.
11-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
The K100D has known issues with batteries, there are many threads about this. External power is advised when updating firmware since loss of power during update is sometimes fatal. I gave up on NiMH long ago and have been happy with Eneloops.

Camera companies could avoid these issues by having two banks of firmware memory but they don't go to the slight additional expense.
Eneloops are nimhs.
11-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -Joe- Quote
Eneloops are nimhs.
Yes, but the the improvement in battery life of low self-discharge NiMHs, compared to standard NiMHs in a K100D, is dramatic. The Voltage vs Current curve of LD NiMHs suits the K100D better than any other type.

Last edited by dosdan; 11-07-2009 at 01:47 PM.
11-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Yes, but the the improvement in battery life of low self-discharge NiMHs, compared to standard NiMHs in a K100D, is dramatic. The Voltage vs Current curve of LD NiMHs suits the K100D better than any other type.
My sentiments exactly. There was a thread awhile back where a fellow measured the voltage of various batteries while in use in a K100D. A standard NiMH soon drops below the cameras threshold for, "low battery." He found (as I did) you could take out the "dead" NiMH battery and put it in another camera (Fuji S5200 in my case) and use it several more days! His Eneloops held the voltage above the K100Ds threshold much longer. In keeping with what dosdan mentioned he found the NiMH batteries droop a few weeks after charging when not being used. I'm still using Eneloops bought in January 2008 whereas standard NiMH batteries had to be replaced after 6-8 months.

Batteries seem to be a personal thing but Eneloops are my favorite.
12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpup Quote
I was using a fully charged rechargeable Duracell NiMH.
If you charged them immediately before the firmware update and the camera shut itself off during the process then your batteries are seriously broken.

It is well-known that the K100D works best with Eneloops or other hybrid batteries but even standard NiMH batteries will get it through a firmware update.

Unfortunately, your local camera store will not be able to get your camera back on track.

Please keep us posted what you ended up doing.
12-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #10

I ran my K100D on brand new Energizer lithiums out of the package for its firmware update.

Night as well call Pentax and get an estimate. Perhaps they can do it for a flat and (reasonable) fee.
12-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
I ran my K100D on brand new Energizer lithiums out of the package for its firmware update.
Without charging them before? Out of the package they can be practically empty.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your statement. I thought you were talking about NiMH accumulators rather than lithium batteries. The latter should have been fine.

Last edited by Class A; 12-07-2009 at 02:51 AM.
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep, firmware updates are generally optimal with using a DC line-in adapter or hybrid batteries..but the damage has been done so, call Pentax and get an estimate.
That is the best thing you can do and have them update the firmware while they are at it (reviving your camera).
I'm glad the K100DS doesn't have any firmware update..good to be perfect!
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Yep, firmware updates are generally optimal with using a DC line-in adapter or hybrid batteries..
Unless the camera is broken (erroneous voltage detection) anything including alkaline batteries will do, except nearly depleted batteries. The update only takes a couple of minutes so there is no extraordinary demand for power. The "fully charged" recommendation is just a precaution against nearly depleted batteries.
12-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
QuoteQuote:
Without charging them before? Out of the package they can be practically empty.
Lithiums? I don't think so ...
12-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Lithiums? I don't think so ...
Sorry. I misread that. I thought he had used NiMHs. Lithium batteries should be good unless one of them is defective.