Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Who's to say they can't fit an FF sensor in the current body size? That said, who's to say they actually want to? Full frame brings advantages in some areas, but it also brings disadvantages in others.

Certainly, I don't think they're foolish to focus on providing a compact, near-pro grade body. It's something nobody else is really offering, and it pays to differentiate. I'm quite sure it has attracted new customers for Pentax - and I should know, I'm one of them. The size and weight of the K-7 body relative to other mag-alloy weatherproof DSLRs was a major selling point for me.
Now they just need to keep improving the AF speed (and keep accuracy) to within a hair of Nikon D300s or D700 and more pros will consider the K7. This might involve revamping the SDM system, not sure.

11-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I think they're a fool for not offering a larger body that could be used for both a FF and APS-C sized sensor.
Do you think they've somehow forgotten how to make the K20D body?
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
It seems as tho Pentax is aggressively pursuing the average consumer with their new DSLR cameras. They're small, lightweight and appeal to a broader audience than bigger bodies. Even the flagship K7 is a small camera in comparison to the K20D and mid range Canikons.
I call this the "M Disease" as they went through the make it small phase with the M series film bodies also
QuoteQuote:
Two thoughts:

Does having a full lineup of these smaller bodies turn off pro and semi-pro photographers who would rather shoot with something that doesn't seem targeted primarily at consumers?
many many pro's shoot multiple bodies with canikons and many of the back-ups etc are also consumer bodies. Today as then, depending on need, they will shoot with anything they have
QuoteQuote:
Would Pentax benifit from having a "classic" DSLR camera design like the older film SLR bodies in their line up? That could appeal to photography veterans who are used to the older bodies.
by "classic" do you mean big, and the K10/K20 is therefore a pro body because it is big, and the K7 a consumer body because it is small? Regardless of the fact that the K7 blows the K10 away?

I think the issue of pro vs consumer has more to do with a few other things.

Nikon has a flash system that is second to none, even canon, and both have more pro lenses in the line up. what is the point of pro bodies with the limited range of lenses available? Lenses are first and foremost, because they span many many generations of bodies.
11-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The metal cladding on K7 is nothing more than decoration, like a fake leopardskin...that's cool, takes all kinds...but P should continue to offer the undecorated, more rugged K10/20D body (no metal skin to make noise and dent)..improved operationally for more professional use with simplified Leica-like knobs rather than scrolling readouts.