Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dust, Dirt, Speck

I'm not very well versed on how the whole SLR thing works so excuse my ignorance.

I have a dust speck showing up in my photos. I can also see this speck in my viewfinder. Is this due to a dirty sensor or something else between the sensor and the lense? I'm assuming that if it were the sensor I would nt be able to see it in the viefinder, but then again my knowledge on this is very limited.

I have the auto sensor clean thing on.
The speck is showing up in the same place with both my lenses.
My camera is a K10D

If you need any other info to help with my problem please let me know.
Thanks in advance for your assistance

06-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never noticed the dust specks on the sensor in my viewfinder - the dust on the viewfinder is in different places. If it were me, the first thing I would do is get a hand blower, turn the camera upside down, set it to clean sensor so the mirror moves out of the way and give it a couple of squeezes of air. That has taken care of whatever dust I've ever had on a sensor so far (I have a Giotto rocket air blower, but know people who have used turkey basters or other types of hand air blowers). Specks on the viewfinder (and yes, I do get them, too) don't show up in pictures.
06-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
If you can see the SAME speck in your VF, then it's somewhere on/in the lens.
If it's only visible on the pictures then it's on your sensor.
If it's only visible in the VF, then it's on the mirror, in the prism housing or on the VF.
06-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #4

Ok, light enters the lens (1), bounces off mirror (2), is bounced around in the pentaprism (7) and into your eyeball (8).

If you see a speck while looking though lens, it's not on sensor (99% sure of this).

When you take a picture, the mirror (5) flips up (that's why eyepiece goes dark) and light hits sensor (3 or 4).

If speck is on mirror or prism or eyepiece, it *shouldn't* show up on film. My guess was initially speck on lens but you said it's on both lenses...

The lens is the only constant in this equation so I'm out of guesses.

Anyone else?

Last edited by hyson; 06-02-2007 at 03:57 PM.
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I have two lenses. I get the speck with both. After reading the replies I am going to assume that I have a dust speck on the sensor in approximately the same place that there is one either on the pentaprisim or some other place on the view finder. I didnt consider this at first because I thought the chance of two dust specks at or near the same location on the sensor and the mirror was pretty remote but at the moment it seems the most likely reason I'm seeing one speck in the viewfinder and a spot in nearly the same location on all my pictures regardless of which lense I use.

I'll get a dust blower and see how that works

thanks for the replies

Oh, just a quick edit.... I took the lens off and I can still see the speck in the view finder so it's not on the lenses
06-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Thanks for the replies. I have two lenses. I get the speck with both. After reading the replies I am going to assume that I have a dust speck on the sensor in approximately the same place that there is one either on the pentaprisim or some other place on the view finder. I didnt consider this at first because I thought the chance of two dust specks at or near the same location on the sensor and the mirror was pretty remote but at the moment it seems the most likely reason I'm seeing one speck in the viewfinder and a spot in nearly the same location on all my pictures regardless of which lense I use.

I'll get a dust blower and see how that works

thanks for the replies

Oh, just a quick edit.... I took the lens off and I can still see the speck in the view finder so it's not on the lenses
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I've been spraying it with compressed air and a hand-blower with no results. I still see it on my VF and very faintly on the images. I've attempted to clean the mirror a lot to no success. I have no clue what to do!

I'm considering returning the camera to either Pentax or Adorama. I can't find out how to get this crap out
06-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by msprout Quote
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I've been spraying it with compressed air and a hand-blower with no results. I still see it on my VF and very faintly on the images. I've attempted to clean the mirror a lot to no success. I have no clue what to do!

I'm considering returning the camera to either Pentax or Adorama. I can't find out how to get this crap out
I can understand your frustration. I recently had some gunk I couldn't seem to get out. Check these links out that may help:

Cleaning an SLR

Link 2

I found that lens cleaning solution and a lint free chamise works great....

Last edited by hyson; 06-02-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link.
06-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just used the Pentax OICK-1 for the first time the other day. Fantastic. I highly recommend it. Not available in the US yet, but there is a seller on Ebay that sells them out of Japan. I got mine in under a week.
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, here is an update on my dirt speck. I took my K10D to the local repair shop to have it cleaned professionally. I was so disapointed that I had to give up the camera over night. I was told that it should be completed by this time tomorrow. I'll just stop and pick it up after work. In the mean time I'm cameraless. I've only had the camera a few days. Who would have thought I'd miss having it this much.
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #10

I'm very interested to where the speck actually is, please let us know.
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
I'm very interested to where the speck actually is, please let us know.
I posted this photo in another thread but notice the dark spot in the lower right hand corner.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 09-11-2007 at 04:12 PM.
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #12

Friend, I think s/he meant where it is on/in the camera.
06-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hyson Quote
Friend, I think s/he meant where it is on/in the camera.
Oh.... I guess I totally misread that. The speck that you see in the photo is on the sensor. I took off the lens and selected the mirror up option in the menu. Using sunlight I could see a very tiny speck on the sensor. I had to hold the camera at the right angle to make the speck visible. It just is apparently coincidence that I have a dust speck in nearly the same spot in the view finder. Weird huh?
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #14

Gotcha, and ironically enough, I just ran into my own speck problem I'm working on.

Damnit!
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not Dirt or Dust. It was a Defect... Arrrgghhhhh

I received a call from the Camera Tech today who gave me the bad news. He was examining the sensor under a scope and found that there was no dust or dirt that could be removed. He did see a spot however. He described it as a small defect in or on the low pass filter, or it was something trapped bertween the LPF and the sensor. Either way, he said it was a defect and should be returned.

I called the E-tailer where I purchased it and got an RMA number. It has been boxed up and shipped. Now I just have to sit around and wait for the replacement. I'm so very dissapointed. What a total bummer. UPS said it should be delivered to them by tomorrow. I hope the turn around time isnt too long.

So I'll just sit here and wait with my battery grip, spare batteries, two lenses, and a few books.............