Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #1

K10d

I bought a K10D in 10/07 and I have been very unhappy with it every since. I thought it was just me - switching from film to digital - but I have since used my brother's little Nikon D60 and realized it's not me! I get ridiculously soft pictures, irratic exposures, and really bad vertical pattern noise at low light exposures (they're underexposed too!) Anything you can tell me about the K10D would be appreciated.

Marge

10-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Edited: See advice given by others below on sending in some samples. My post contributed nothing to this forum. Sorry!

Last edited by innershell; 10-31-2009 at 11:55 PM.
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VPN Quote
I bought a K10D in 10/07 and I have been very unhappy with it every since. I thought it was just me - switching from film to digital - but I have since used my brother's little Nikon D60 and realized it's not me! I get ridiculously soft pictures, irratic exposures, and really bad vertical pattern noise at low light exposures (they're underexposed too!) Anything you can tell me about the K10D would be appreciated.

Marge
The first thing people are going to ask you to do is post examples of some of the bad shots. That really is the only way we can help you (by looking at the EXIF data ect). People are going to want to know what lens you are shooting with, which exposure mode you are using.. all that great stuff.

Just a quick note.. underexposed photos at high ISOs almost always spells disaster. Once you have to increase the exposure in post process you will increase noise and greatly increase an pattern'ing that does happen to be going on. The rule of thumb when shooing high ISO is try to expose to the right.

Anyway, post up some photos and we'll all help out. You should be able to get great shots from your K10 unless you happen to have a really defective model

John
10-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

High ISO is not one of K10d's strong points, although as far as the noise goes I actually quite enjoy the K10d noise pattern when I want to have some noise (not often, but sometimes I do). If you're serious about low light you should get the k-x though. K10d just can't match it in low light.

As for pictures being ridiculously soft, there are several factors that might come into play and you should post a picture or two. My k10d is ridiculously sharp, especially at ISO 100 with the Tak 50 <3

I agree that the metering is quite erratic though... sticking to centerweight metering (the one in the middle) and decoupling af from ae seems to fix 70% of my issues, but not always...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 10-31-2009 at 09:09 PM.
10-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K10 in November 2007, and until I broke it recently, I have been extremely pleased with it. I cannot really be displeased with a camera that survived several bad drops before it acted up, after all. I find Mr. Pentax's exposure recommendations are quite good more often than not. I grew up with slide film, so I do pay attention and sometimes use Sunny 16 because I just know the camera won't understand what I want. I am certain that when it returns from the Pentax hospital it will be like new.
10-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I like my K10D a lot- I just like my K20D better!

Still a good camera but I've noticed it can be noisy even as low as ISO 400 if under-exposed. Just need to avoid that and expose to the right like Palmor said.
10-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, my K10D takes razor sharp images - then again I often use manual focus lenses. Just got a hold of a Pentax M 50mm F4 Macro. Talk about detailed and sharp pixels out of that one. A simply amazing camera. As palmor stated - post some pictures and see if we can get to the bottom of you softness issue.
10-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soft images could be explained by a lot of different factors, most of which originate from the user. There are several K10D users and former users here who have gotten sharp images using the K10D with all sorts of lenses. Your request for advice is a little vague, though.

Providing some pictures with EXIF data would help to make things more specific, but I'm wondering why you hung around with a camera you've been unhappy with for two years...