Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shutter release cable...

Do the digital SLR's have a fitting for a normal old mechanical shutter cord or is this something else I have to buy to transition from 35mm to digital ?

11-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
Do the digital SLR's have a fitting for a normal old mechanical shutter cord or is this something else I have to buy to transition from 35mm to digital ?
No mechanical release on any recent Pentax, I'm pretty sure.

I use a IR wireless remote control I got on eBay for about $10. Works fine - up to about 6 metres or more away as well.
11-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No mechanical release on any recent Pentax, I'm pretty sure.

I use a IR wireless remote control I got on eBay for about $10. Works fine - up to about 6 metres or more away as well.

Cool, that doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks!
11-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no mechanical shutter release where you screw the shutter release cable into the shutter button, but some models (K10D, K20D, K-7 that i know of) have a 2.5mm mini-stereo jack into which you can plug a corded cable release.

11-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IR shutter release is great - its just small as in tiny. So tiny in fact, that I keep loosing mine (I put it in my backpack's pocket so I'll have it as a spare), then I picked up a third party wired release - which works just fine too.
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
There's no mechanical shutter release where you screw the shutter release cable into the shutter button, but some models (K10D, K20D, K-7 that i know of) have a 2.5mm mini-stereo jack into which you can plug a corded cable release.
For the K200D I got a wired release. As per recommendations from this forum I got the Canon one which is much cheaper than the Pentax one and works perfectly.
I don't have my gear nearby right now to give you the model number but I got it from B&H a some months ago.

Used it to take fireworks pictures Labor Day. Sat on a folding chair behind the camera on a tripod and used the recommended longish exposure times with this cable release.
Bonus was that with instant review on I was able to see a quick glimpse of what "trails" were captured in the frame with the exposure times. Cool. Had people behind me totally amazed at what they were seeing - their camera phones couldn't do that!
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What the IR remote can't do is lock the shutter release down in Bulb mode, which is one of the most important uses of the cabled shutter releases for long exposures. So I have both, used in different applications.

11-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What the IR remote can't do is lock the shutter release down in Bulb mode, which is one of the most important uses of the cabled shutter releases for long exposures. So I have both, used in different applications.
In the K-x manual, it has a mode under the Custom menu 'Remote Control Shooting in Bulb Mode'.

The options are:
"Mode 1: Push remote control release button once to start exposure and a second time to end."
"Mode 2: Push and hold remote control release button for exposure. Release button to end".

That is to say, Mode 1 locks the shutter open in Bulb mode for long exposures, just like the cable release method. Press once to open shutter. Go away and read a book. Come back, press remote button again, shutter closes.

I think the K7 has the same option.
11-02-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been with the K10D and K20D, so haven't come across this feature yet. Sounds like a good addition to the function of the remote.
11-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have two different electric cable releases. The main one I keep strapped on my tripod - I have no other use for it off the tripod. It's a generic version, but has a slide lock. You can press it like a normal shutter release - it has two spots: half press and full press. With the slide lock - once you fully press it, you can slide the switch forward and it stays engaged until you slide it back. This can be used for bulb exposures or sometimes I'll use it in manual pointed at the stars... set the shutter time to 30s and continuous drive and lock the switch. I can walk away and come back in twenty minutes and have around 40 images waiting on me to stack.

My other release is a intervalometer that improves on the one built into my K20d and gives my K200d more funtionality. Here's the web page at Gadget Infinity. For $30, it's not much more than a generic and it can also be used as a standard release.
11-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I do the exact same thing. Calbed release (2$ from dealExtreme) for long exposures, remote (2$ from dealExtreme...) for group shots and such.
11-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Pentax wired remote which is essentially a two step (focus, shutter) button with a mechanical lock. It is a comfortable shape to hold in your hand. It is over priced, if my wife had not bought one for me I would have made one. There have been a few diagrams on the forum of a little box with buttons and switch.

I've read the Canon TC80-N3 can be modified for Pentax but is expensive. It has a timer built in if one needs this for astrophotography.
11-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've been with the K10D and K20D, so haven't come across this feature yet. Sounds like a good addition to the function of the remote.
I think only the newer cameras have the IR remote press-on and press-off function for bulb mode. The k-7 has it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
My other release is a intervalometer that improves on the one built into my K20d and gives my K200d more funtionality. Here's the web page at Gadget Infinity. For $30, it's not much more than a generic and it can also be used as a standard release.
I've got one of those too!
11-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

OK this is the one I have and use with my K200D.
Canon RS60-E3
It has the slide lock, half-press, etc.
11-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
Forum Member

It's actually pretty easy to DIY it. Just do a google search for cable release pentax and you should find some decent guides. I used an old film canister for my DIY cable release.