Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-7 sharpness / fine sharpness / fine sharpness 2

With a little compare-o-matic thing:

Pentax K-7 Image Sharpness | Neocamera.com

(Found in a link posted to dpreview by Bill Duncan.)

I think Fine Sharpness 2 looks best at higher sharpening settings, but tends to increase jaggies on the diagonals and contributes to a loss of distinction of detail in brightness. Because of this, I think regular sharpness looks best at around the 0 setting. Anyone agree?

11-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

(Found in a link posted to dpreview by Bill Duncan.)

I think Fine Sharpness 2 looks best at higher sharpening settings, but tends to increase jaggies on the diagonals and contributes to a loss of distinction of detail in brightness. Because of this, I think regular sharpness looks best at around the 0 setting. Anyone agree?
I thought FS2 increase sharpness without increasing noise and very little artifacts. A good compromise of the other two...but, after you mentioned I notice those jaggies in diagonals, but I still prefer FS2. If you click back and forth even at 0 sharpness between regular sharpness and FS2, I think FS2 at 0 looks better than regular sharpness at 0 which shows jaggies with diagonals at 0, and FS2 doesn't and is actually sharper in the feathers. I like FS2 very much.
11-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Very intersting link, thanks. Just don't forget these are 100% crops, though. Even if you printed these out at full size you'd have to look very, very closely under excellent light to see the differences/artefacts in e. g. the hairy texture. So I would say these settings are only relevant for rather special applications, especially when you're actually using a sharp lens.

Anyway, at all settings I find FS to look worst. At '0' settings it really depends on whether you look at the hair or the calculator on that picture to tell whether S or SF2 looks better...
11-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cool comparison. Fine Sharpness looks very nice to me, but I would never apply in-camera sharpening so the point it moot. Sharpness depends on the image and destination and cannot easily be applied as a global choice.

11-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Ok, I rise this subject from it's grave, I've put my magnifier glasses on and samples on this page are to small the notice differences, are there any better samples and information about sharpness, fine-sharpness 1-2 around on the internet. Anyone?
12-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

As another trying to find the end all answers to sharp, fine sharp, f sharp 2, i say bump.

Also, has anyone done any testing with the different settings regarding prints?
(I generally keep sharpness set to low, because it's easier to sharpen than take away)
12-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have gone as far as asking pentax directly for an explanation of the change. What I woud like to know is how each of the functions and adjustments addresses the strength of sharpening, and the pixel radius. At least this would relate to the photo editor settings.

Sadly, no answer.

I suspect the only way to achieve a really good measure is to look at an image, with sufficient detail and taking a RAW image, do in camera conversion cycling through the various settings, AND the permiations and combinations of the settings. Clearly there are not just 27 settings but potentially 729 actual unique settings.
12-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have gone as far as asking pentax directly for an explanation of the change.
This is the kind of thing that Pentax USA can't answer, because Pentax Japan doesn't tell them. I don't know if Pentax Japan will answer, but I think they're the only ones who could.

12-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Inactive Account

This is the kind of thing that Pentax USA can't answer, because Pentax Japan doesn't tell them. I don't know if Pentax Japan will answer, but I think they're the only ones who could.
Really, you think so? If so it is a secret military industry rocket science for Pentax Or did they screwed something they wouldn't tell anybody. There are only these two options.
12-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have gone as far as asking pentax directly for an explanation of the change. What I woud like to know is how each of the functions and adjustments addresses the strength of sharpening, and the pixel radius. At least this would relate to the photo editor settings.

Sadly, no answer.

I suspect the only way to achieve a really good measure is to look at an image, with sufficient detail and taking a RAW image, do in camera conversion cycling through the various settings, AND the permiations and combinations of the settings. Clearly there are not just 27 settings but potentially 729 actual unique settings.
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Really, you think so? If so it is a secret military industry rocket science for Pentax Or did they screwed something they wouldn't tell anybody. There are only these two options.
actually it is the same with all functions. There is no quantative description of the ranges of adjustment only qualitative descriptions.

It would be nice to have a guide of technical info on all pentax cameras which gives quantitative measurements.

I have done it for contrast, and am thinking about the others.
12-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Why are those the only two options? It's nothing like that at all.

Pentax USA doesn't do any programming or design. Their job is handling marketing and distribution in this country. They have technical information as needed to do that, and what's needed to do repairs (although that's contracted out). Apart from the shared name and the corporate structure, it's not far from what Manfrotto/Bogen does in importing Metz flashes.

That's why when you ask technical questions of Pentax USA you get marketing-brochure answers.

I don't mean they don't have smart or capable people working there -- they clearly do. It's just that they're limited by the structure of the company.