Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Question re using K200D, Kx, K7 w/Pentax M glass

I'm new here, so hope I'm at the right venue for this.
I'm looking at the Pentax DSLRs after using a high-zoom P&S (Sony DSCH5) for a while. I have several Pentax 35mm bodies and about 10 SMC-M MF lenses and a couple of AF lenses. Are there any serious issues with using the K-mount 35mm glass with the APS-C digital bodies (i.e. vignetting, corner sharpness, worse distortion issues, CA, etc.) (I know the FL will be 1.5x) ? My legacy lens collection (and the new lens quality) is a key reason I favor the Pentax, so I want to be sure I'm not naive about the utility of my older manual lenses (besides no autofocus, of course). Thanks for any help.

11-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No need to worry about vignetting and corner sharpness. They will actually be improved with the digital bodies since you're only using the center area of the lens.

In terms of PF, some lenses that didnt have any/major PF before can have some degree of PF with certain digital bodies... no way to know for sure which pair until you try it.
11-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nearly 100% of my shots I take using "old" MF-Lenses with my K200D. I have installed a (cheap chinese) split image focussing screen. I find using this combination very easy and I am quite happy with the results. When I'm not satisfied with the results it's typically not because of the equipment but lack of talent
I am using the "green button" as a guideline for exposure and use some manual exposure compensation depending on the subject I shot.
11-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
vignetting, corner sharpness, and other things that relate to the edges will be better on a crop sensor APS-C. The only difference with digital and non digital lenses is coating on the rear element of the lens - a lack of one can cause reflections from the sensor not being hit at 90 degrees and the rear element - not that anyone really noticies the difference. Tons of us use old lenses.

With old M series, you can either use them wide open in Av mode or M mode with a button used to stop down the lens and meter it with the aperture selected. Although there is no autofocus, you do get trap focus, which I find highly useful.

11-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
clarify, please

Sorry, what's PF ?

re: "With old M series, you can either use them wide open in Av mode or M mode with a button used to stop down the lens and meter it with the aperture selected. Although there is no autofocus, you do get trap focus, which I find highly useful."

Could you explain the button, please ? Thanks...
11-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

PF is purple fringing, this is a purple outline in the photo. An example would be a tree branch aginst the sky. When you enlarge the image, you can see a purple outline along the tree branch.
When you use a "M" lens, you use stepdown metering when you press the green button. This button is located on the top of the camera near the shutter button. This will close down the lens to the set f-number. The camera will then set the shutter speed needed for the picture. You can adjust the shutter speed with the e-dial if you feel you need any exposure compensation. The shutter speed will stay the same until you press the green button again. As was posted earlier, this is when you have the camera in the manual mode. Also the old "M" lenses have no electronic communication with the camera, the camera will flash f--- in the viewfinder, this is normal.

Rick
11-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

PF = purple fringing (colored fringes on high contrast edges), something you often see with some lenses when shooting wide open in very high contrast settings (thin branches against sky, etc)

As for the button, see the sticky thread in this forum on using manual lenses - it explains all.
11-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another useful accessory for manual lense users is the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyecup. It fits any Pentax DSLR. I find it invaluable for improving my ability to precisely focus my M series manual lenses (50mm/1.7 and 28mm/2.8), particularly in poor light. It's also an easier and cheaper solution to the problem of focus accuracy than putting in a split screen viewfinder. The O-ME53 has many fans around here, justifiably so.